PDA

View Full Version : Toddler or Big Boy Bed?

stinkyfeet
12-30-2011, 12:34 AM
DS1 is almost 3. He is potty training now, and I thought that it would be a good idea to give him "freedom" from his crib so he can use the potty.

His crib converts into a toddler bed and/or a full-sized big boy bed. Would you recommend a toddler bed or a big boy bed for his age?

Kaylee31
12-30-2011, 12:42 AM
I would do the toddler bed for now. DS' bed also converts to both, and we converted it to a toddler bed over the summer. I think it was an easier transition since we just removed the front rail. A full bed would seem too large for him right now. Plus it puts off the expense of a new mattress for a while longer.

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2011, 12:51 AM
SInce your crib converts, I would just go with the toddler bed conversion. It's there, familiar, free and easy. :) Ds2 loves his crib with side removed and he just turned 4.

BeachBum
12-30-2011, 09:43 AM
We moved our boys from the crib to the toddler bed around age 2, and moved them to a twin bed a few months before their 3rd birthday. (they will be 3 in Jan).

I would convert to a toddler bed, but plan on changing it again in a few months. My boys really like the freedom to move around a bit more in the larger bed, but the security of the easy transition from crib to toddler bed was very helpful.

Simon
12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I guess my kids are strange but neither liked the toddler bed at all. I find them uncomfortable for snuggling or reading books, etc. so I voted for a big bed.

That said, if your Ds likes his crib then the toddler bed might be the right move.

edurnemk
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Since your crib converts (no expense involved), I voted for toddler bed. A few months or a year from now you can transition to the big bed. That's what we did. By 3.5-3.75 yo DS was getting too big for the toddler bed, IMO.

amldaley
12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I agree - convert to a toddler bed for now, just to get him used to the idea of not being in a crib and then in a few months you can move him up to the big boy bed.

With DD, I converted her crib to a toddler bed at age 2 but we were missing all the right screws and Davinci customer service SUCKS and sent us the wrong parts. I gave up and bought DD a double/full mattress and low profile box spring, set them on the floor with some foam guards and she has slept there very well for the last year and a half.

She was enthralled with the toddler bed for a moment or two, but the full size bed allowed her to JUMP ON THE BED which she does EVERY morning. It also loves to run naked from the bathroom after her bath and take a flying leap on to her bed. We have room to lay with her to read to her at night, and she has room for stuffed animals.

I have never regretted going straight to the big bed, but then again, we had a reason to. If you can spare the expense for a couple of months, I would go ahead and use what you already have!

AnnieW625
12-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I voted before I read your message. I voted for big boy bed, but since the crib converts to a toddler bed first I'd probably go that route and see how it goes.

We went straight from the crib to a twin bed and will do the same for DD2 since our crib didn't convert to a toddler bed.