PDA

View Full Version : FSA balance

Claki
12-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Forgive me if there is already a post on this somewhere. I searched but didn't pull anything up. I have $31.80 left to spend on our FSA. What can I stock up on that doesn't require a Rx? I am nursing and pumping. Can I get any of that now without a Rx?

TwoBees
12-30-2011, 11:07 AM
In past years we have stocked up on bandaids, Tylenol, Advil, Lactaid, etc, but I think the government did away with that. What about a nice thermometer, an Exergen or other "no touch" thermometer? Maybe some vitamins?

khm
12-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Drugstore.com has an FSA section, you can just order and pay with the FSA CC if you have one.

Sunscreen is a goodie. You can still buy Tylenol cream/lotion. Pumping supplies would work, I'd assume, and there are lots of baby supplies. Some vitamins (seemed like prenatals and various joint formulations?).

dogmom
12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
You are only allowed to claim OTC meds if you have a doctors note. So it is wise when you do your annual with any family members and you know you have chronic conditions (allergies, back problems, etc.) to get the doctor to write a note covering the need for zyrtec, motrin, whatever.

Having said that for $30 I would buy first aid that don't go bad that I know I will need: Antibiotic cream, lots of bandaids in all sizes, ice packs, gauze, ace wraps, specialty dressing stuff, like those artificial blister things. You could easily take up the money with that.

JElaineB
12-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Medical supplies like band-aids are ok, but OTC medications are not unless you have a doctor's note/prescription. Sunscreen is approved if it meets certain conditions. At my work, this is the list that they use to determine what is ok and what is not: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/EligibleExpenses.asp

kbud
12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Double check your plan too. Some allow you to utilize the funds until Mar of the following year. Ours does, so we have until Mar. 12. Although our FSA always gets depleted by about Sept. so it's never been an issue.

Penny's Pappa
12-30-2011, 05:40 PM
What about a nice thermometer, an Exergen or other "no touch" thermometer?

This is a good idea if you don't already have one.

If you wear contacts, saline solutions are eligible. I bought 10 bottles yesterday!

fumofu
12-30-2011, 07:16 PM
A mommy friend bought home-pregnancy tests with her FSA account. Perhaps you'd like to think about future DC's? ;)