PDA

View Full Version : Play Yard/Pack N Play

psimpson3-5
12-30-2011, 11:17 AM
So I've read the Baby Bargains book cover to cover. I know that they suggest the Graco Pack N Play. I'm registered at Babies R Us and am not very happy with the Pack N Play selection. Many have been discontinued and cannot be shipped or found in store. The ones that are now available typically include the "newborn napper" which is not suggested for use by Baby Bargains for safety reasons. I have no plans to use it for this reason. Also the Babies R Us reviews for the various Pack N Play models ALL complain about the changing table sagging on the left side.

I did some more research about the available play yards and this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10962742; which is produced by Safety First has very good reviews. Has anyone used this play yard before? Or have maybe another suggestion?

abh5e8
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
how much do you plan to use it? i picked up all the big baby gear items (pack n play, swing, saucer, etc) second hand and have been so pleased. my PNP has a lovely 80s theme to it...royal blue, yellow and a nice teal :) but it was free and works great.

psimpson3-5
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I plan on using it as our bassinet. So I figure it will get a lot of use for 2-3 mths and then I'd like to keep it around as a safe place to place the baby when showering, etc or give it to MIL to use when the baby is at her house.

abh5e8
12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
the link just goes to the BRU site...not the pack n play you mentioned.

we use ours daily for naps. i'd still check out some second hand options...IMO there are lots of more fun baby things to spend your $$ on :)

psimpson3-5
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Sorry, it's the S1 by Safety 1st Satellite Premier Playard - Pegasus. I'm not sure why the link won't work....

You might be right though. Maybe I'll put my focus on spending money on something else......

candaceb
12-30-2011, 11:55 PM
My mom has this very basic Graco Pack n Play at her house and it is everything we need:
http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Pack-Playard-Bassinet-Kensly/dp/B001GQ2PLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325303636&sr=8-1

It is very sturdy and a great value for the price. DS was just in it this week at 24 pounds - no problem. We have a similar basic Pack N Play at home that was a hand-me-down and I use it as a place to put DS when I can't supervise him 100% and we're upstairs. We used it as a bassinet for the first 3 months too and that worked fine.

newg
01-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Could someone specific get you the PNP, and then you could shop elsewhere....even online, knowing they'll get it for you no matter where you find it?

I've used the bassinet feature with both babies at our house and when traveling.....the changing table I didn't even put on with DD1, we just changed her in her room or on the bed.......with DD2 we used it for a bit, but then moved to the bed because there was more room.

my parents and IL each have a version of this at their house: http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/ProductListingPage.aspx?catID=10:43||1&subCatID=11:10460||1&pID=10434:4294959785||1
this is what we have at our house: http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=9957RIT
we didn't use the canopy. I think this bassinet set up works well because it is still the PNP mattress, just raised up....and the sides are the same mesh, so there is no bumper to worry about....

diapers.com, albeebaby.com, walmart.com and buybuybaby.com all have nice selections of PNP if someone will go look off your registry!

psimpson3-5
01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Thank you! I think I've been so concerned with features I don't really need. I will look into more basic models or else look for one outside of Babies R Us.

flashy09
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Just for another opinion...I have a fancy PNP, the Cuddle Cove one and it's great! The napper part is removable and rocks and vibrates. So if she is asleep in it, I can move her all around the house.

psimpson3-5
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
We ended up getting the Graco Pack 'N Play Playard with Newborn Napper Station - Elefanta. I got a really good deal on it. We'll just never use the newborn napper per the Baby Bargains warning!

Thanks everyone!

mikala
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM
My mom has this very basic Graco Pack n Play at her house and it is everything we need:
http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Pack-Playard-Bassinet-Kensly/dp/B001GQ2PLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325303636&sr=8-1

We used one that was similar and it was all we really needed.
Our Costco had a similar model for <$50 this week.

Pilotbaby
01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Sorry for interrupting but can someone please tell me the issue with the newborn napper? I read BBB but I don't remember it. Wasn't planning on getting a pack n play but just added one to my registry.

psimpson3-5
01-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Sorry for interrupting but can someone please tell me the issue with the newborn napper? I read BBB but I don't remember it. Wasn't planning on getting a pack n play but just added one to my registry.

This might help:
https://windsorpeak.com/sites/blog/2011/10/19/play-yards-newborn-nappers-safe-not/

flashy09
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I remove the insert (use it on the changing area instead) and with the removable napper she can be right with me. It vibrates and rocks so nice for babies that like some motion when they sleep

rolypoly27
01-20-2012, 12:49 PM
We have a second hand Graco Pack-n-Play and it's been great (and free!). We used the elevated bassinet feature as our one-and-only bassinet in our room, until we moved her to her own crib and room. Now we use it as a place to keep her contained in our room while we are getting ready or in the bathroom. We always keep a bunch of toys and books in there to keep her entertained.

FWIW, we used the newborn napper (ours didn't come with one, but we borrowed it from SIL), and I loved it. It was so cozy and perfect for a newborn. That said, it is not a necessity and I would not have paid for that feature. We only used it during the early newborn period when she was still immobile, and did not find it a safety concern at all. Now, the changing pad... that was pretty useless to us. We used an actual changing pad on top of a dresser.