PDA

View Full Version : I think I need to splurge on a new mattress..

JustMe
12-30-2011, 01:58 PM
...and I need help! Please recommend yours and help me figure out how to choose one! I feel terrible because I bought one only 4 years ago---right after I had surgery where i had to sleep on my back. It has never been comfortable, and my lower back is really feeling it now...I hate to replace so soon, but it is better than spending money on back problems. I generally like a firm mattress, but I think the one I have is too firm.

PunkyBoo
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
We've been very happy with the set we got at Costco 2 years ago. Other people I know that have gotten Costco mattresses have also really liked them.

sste
12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Have you considered buying a soft latex topper for your current mattress? I might do that first. If it doesn't work AND you are interested in buying a latex bed you could then just purchase a latex core, put the soft topper on top and you are done. That is how the latex mattresses are constructed - - layers that are often zipped in duvet like things and put together that way.

marymoo86
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
...and I need help! Please recommend yours and help me figure out how to choose one! I feel terrible because I bought one only 4 years ago---right after I had surgery where i had to sleep on my back. It has never been comfortable, and my lower back is really feeling it now...I hate to replace so soon, but it is better than spending money on back problems. I generally like a firm mattress, but I think the one I have is too firm.

if your mattress is a reputable national brand and the comfort level is your problem have you tried adding a mattress topper/featherbed to soften it before dropping $$ on a new set? Mattresses are a very personal preference item and while you can get good deals at places like Costco - you can't try them out before buying. It's luck of the draw.

amldaley
12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
As I shared in the splurge thread, we went through 3 mattresses in 8-9 years. We were miserable and they were all very good mattresses.

We went for the Select Comfort 5 years ago and we are ridiculously happy we did, even to this day. We bought ours via QVC so we could make interest free payments. It was the mid-grade set with some memory foam but not the high end luxury set. We added a memory foam topper to it ourselves, as well.

We LOVE that we each have our own setting. We are both sort of restless and this reduces motion to the other person. It is very easy to take apart as we move frequently. I just can't say enough about it.

Giantbear
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
We bought a Sterns and Fosters Estate line mattress two years ago and could not be happier. I was having terrible hip pains upon waking on my old 12 year old mattress, all the pains disappeared after we got the new one. It was expensive, but well worth it. We went with the king plushtop.

AnnieW625
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
We are in the same boat. Our mattress is 11 yrs. old. It is a Spring Air pillow top. It is slightly too plush for me, but I gave learned to live with it. Costco has a Serta on special next month too, but I am also interested in a Tempurpedic or something that leans toward the firm side.

JustMe
12-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming! I did try a mattress topper, etc, and it helped for a while but ended up feeling worse than the bed by itself, so I got rid of it.

smiles33
12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
I think you should take a day and go try mattresses at various stores. DH and I have been so surprised that we both like different mattresses than expected. 2-3 hours of testing later (sometimes lying for 15-20 minutes on one mattress!), we have decided we like the medium firm latex mattress best, even though I had assumed I would like the super soft ones (based on liking pillow tops years ago) and DH thought he would like the firm ones. There are so many mattress variations and I really think it's best to lie on them as you normally sleep (e.g., I'm a side sleeper so I curled up on my side while testing mattresses).

We opted for latex because it doesn't trap heat, it doesn't off-gas, bedbug and allergy-resistant, and should last 15-25 years. Traditional coil mattresses have polyurethane on top and that does break down within a few years. Our current 9 year old coil mattress has a lump in the middle where no one sleeps and two dips where we do.

I am really looking forward to getting our latex mattress as the material doesn't break down very quickly at all. Plus, it's more forgiving/bouncy than the firm, slow-to-respond memory foam mattresses. I find the memory foam mattresses too much like quicksand: it's a little hard to "pull" yourself out to roll over as you sink in. It's also too hot for us--we slept on a Tempurpedic last night at my brother's place and both complained of poor sleep.

Good luck!

AngelaS
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
As I shared in the splurge thread, we went through 3 mattresses in 8-9 years. We were miserable and they were all very good mattresses.

We went for the Select Comfort 5 years ago and we are ridiculously happy we did, even to this day. We bought ours via QVC so we could make interest free payments. It was the mid-grade set with some memory foam but not the high end luxury set. We added a memory foam topper to it ourselves, as well.

We LOVE that we each have our own setting. We are both sort of restless and this reduces motion to the other person. It is very easy to take apart as we move frequently. I just can't say enough about it.

We have a Select Comfort too and it was worth every penny! We love it!

maestramommy
12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
The first mattress we bought we spend WEEKS searching for. We went to every dept store and mattress store in our area (and there were many) and tried every conceivable brand and type. We even tried the genuine Tempurpedic from Brookstone for a month (total fail). ended up getting a Simmons beauty rest with pillow top, in the mid-range.

omg it was AWFUL. Just way too soft. But we stuck with it until a friend gave us their foam bed from Germany with this fancy box frame that came in 6 sections. For a while it seemed better, then I started having problems. But by then I'd had two kids already and was pregnant with #3. I refused to get another bed until enough time had passed so I knew it wasn't just me.

This summer we were suddenly invaded by bedbugs. Never knew how it happened, but turned out to be confined to the master bedroom. Pitched the entire bed. Then went mattress shopping. This time we had 3 kids in tow. So we went to 2 places, and in less than 2 hours, said, "okay this is good enough." Sort of in the low range. I think it was a Sealy. Quite firm. Got it with the regular frame with nothing on it. Couldn't be better. ;)

gatorsmom
12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I agree with the pp who recommended taking your time and trying out different mattresses. We got a king sized Simmons Beautyrest about 5 years ago and I LOVE that thing. When we moved here temporarily last year, we decided not to move all our furniture. Our landlords left their house furnished except for a Master bed. So, I sent DH out to pick out a mattress for us while I was unpacking. I insisted it be a Simmons Beautyrest. Well, it was but it was too firm. I decided to live with it since it was temporary, but I started developing bad sciatica problems about 6 month later. It was an a good quality set- just not right for me (or for DH, as it turns out because he's been complaining of back problems too. He admitted he didn't spend much time trying out different mattresses).

I knew it when I sat on it and laid on it that it was too firm. And I knew when I tried our other mattress that it was perfect. I laid on it for about 20 minutes in the store and it felt great. I'm now a firm believer that you really have to try them out in-store for yourself.

Tondi G
12-30-2011, 03:26 PM
we have a stearns and foster... cushion firm. Bought it when I was preggo with DS2 (he is 6.5 yrs old now). It has been great.... but I am starting to now wake up with a sore lower back from time to time.... not sure if a different bed would make a difference though (I might just need to visit my chiropractor). Overall we have been pretty happy with the S&F mattress. We are looking into getting new furniture for our bedroom so we might be in the market for a new mattress soon.... I am thinking we might end up going the costco route this time or

IKEA for their latex mattress.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30188468/#/80188475

curious about these ones too
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20180665/#/80180667

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00206906/#/70206899