PDA

View Full Version : DD in now terrified of baths, please help! Update in #13

trcy
12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
DD just turned 1 and has always loved bath time, but recently we went out of town and I had to bathe her a regular bath tub instead of her little one. Stupid me didn't think to get a mat for her to sit on :bag. She slid around in the tub which scared her and now she is terrified to get a bath. She clings to me and screams the entire time. It is so sad; I hate to see her so scared. Any advice or BTDT. TIA!

ahisma
12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
What if you let her play in the tub without water in it, so she can see that it's okay? Gradually add some water with some of her toys - let her pour it in, stuff like that.

Sorry you're going through this, baths are hard!

LMPC
12-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I also agree with ahisma. Slowly help her realize that baths can be safe and fun. At 1 yo I'm guessing you can get away with sponge baths for a while ;)

ahisma
12-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Oh! Since she's in a baby/ toddler tub now, I'd start outside of the bathroom , in the kitchen or something. Baby steps....

trcy
12-30-2011, 10:37 PM
What if you let her play in the tub without water in it, so she can see that it's okay? Gradually add some water with some of her toys - let her pour it in, stuff like that.

Sorry you're going through this, baths are hard!
Good idea. Do you think I should try in the big tub or her little one?

LMPC
12-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh! Since she's in a baby/ toddler tub now, I'd start outside of the bathroom , in the kitchen or something. Baby steps....

Not to poopoo your idea, but I think I would start with what she can handle comfortably. If she can tolerate playing with a little water in the tub with some toys in the bathroom, I would start there. If that's too much and she gets upset, I would take out the water. If that's too much, I would take the tub outside of the bathroom. I'm sure you get the idea. Just my .02.

LMPC
12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Good idea. Do you think I should try in the big tub or her little one?

Were you planning on moving her to the big tub now or later? I would just use whatever tub you plan to continue with.

trcy
12-30-2011, 10:48 PM
This is the tub I have for her, obvioulsy she doesn't use the newborn insert anymore. http://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Bathing/Tubs/Right-Height-Bath-Center.aspx
I had been putting the little tub in the the regular tub...just was easier on my back and less water to fill it up. She is fine until she sees she is headed to the bath tub. It is really sad. Bath time used to be so much fun her. She loved to play with bath toys and splashing me was alot of fun for her too.

ahisma
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Another idea - what about switching tubs? Munchkin makes an inflatable duck tub that costs about $12 and is adorable. Maybe that would peak her interest enough?

If she's okay in the bathroom I wouldn't bother moving into the kitchen or anything...but I would consider it if the bathroom / tub combo seems to stressful. Since the tub doesn't need to be in the big tub I'd keep it out for a while. Sounds like her negative associations are with the big tub.

Maybe seperate bath time from the big tub for now. Let her bathe in a small tub, not in the bath tub. She can play in the bath tub separately, with fun toys.

mikala
12-30-2011, 11:33 PM
You might also try taking a bath in front of her to show her that mommy and daddy do it and it isn't scary. Invite her to bathe with you if she seems interested.

If you have friends with little kids it might also help for her to watch one of having fun in a bath.

It might also be a good time for a new bath toy. These are really cute: http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-235300-Dunck/dp/B0041RRX6M/ref=sr_1_13?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1325302345&sr=1-13

We went through a similar phase with an unknown cause and it passed in about a month. We did some of the things above but it was difficult to determine whether anything helped or if it just took time.

mom2one
12-31-2011, 01:23 AM
My DS had a bathtime scare when he was little. The ped said to give it 4-6 weeks for the "fear" to go away.

Susan

babybell
12-31-2011, 08:33 AM
My DD (2yrs) has been petrified of the bath for going on 2+ months now. I think she, and probably your DD too, just need to overcome her irrational fear on her own. Not really good advice, but we're in the same boat.

trcy
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Update...So I took DD into the bathroom and sat on the edge of the big tub with her. She seemed fine. Did this several times throughout the day. Later, I figured I would try the real bath again. She started screaming and clinging to me, but not as much as before. I figured if she could just see she wasn't going to slip she would be ok, so I just kept hugging her and telling her it was ok. After a few intense moments she started to calm down. She sat wide-eyed in her tub for a few moments and then reached out for her "froggy" (favorite bath toy). Several minutes later she started splashing me and laughing :cheerleader1: Thanks for all of your support and advice.

hillview
01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
HURRAY! Nice work!!

viba424
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
We had this problem with DD who is 2 (we sort of still do have a problem with her fear of rinsing out her hair though). She suddenly started hating the bath, crying, etc. We changed out all her bath toys for all new ones, got some light up dive sticks (torpedos) and did things like dim the lights and bring in a light stick for a dramatic effect and it worked almost immediately. We attribute it to being super sick of her toys.

http://www.amazon.com/Swimways-12306-SwimWays-Toypedo-Lite%252dUp/dp/B00166HTYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325552091&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-1615-Singing-Light-Up-Duck/dp/B000VYEQ8M/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1325552115&sr=1-1

Giantbear
01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Hurrah!!!

fumofu
01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Yay for DD!

We switched DS from an infant tub in his room to the big tub (in the bathroom, of course) at around 9 months. I wanted him to get used to having the showerhead splashing water over his face before we took him to swim lessons.

He was terrified when we just plopped him into the big tub, with a bath mat. So over the next couple of bathing sessions (we bathe him every 3 days or so), I would get in the tub with him and nurse him. We tried giving him toys, but he's never been a fan. It took about 2-3 weeks for him to be completely comfortable in the big tub on his own.