PDA

View Full Version : Curtains...how much is too much to pay?

vludmilla
12-30-2011, 10:52 PM
I posted another thread about some Ballard curtains that I really like but the price seems high. I've decided that I don't need 8 panels. I think I could get away with 4 panels and using some silk sheers behind them so that the drapes would not need to traverse the entire width of my very wide LR windows. But, even with a discount, each panel is $150. They are embroidered, made in Italy, weighted, lined, blah, blah but they aren't custom. Am I crazy to consider using Christmas money to buy these? Especially given that I can't even see them in person first? Talk me off the ledge or make me buy them. Help!
I would get them in the gray color, here's the link if you want to check them out. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/firenze-embroidered-panel/panels-draperies/window-treatments/13960?categoryId=10376&fromCart=true

kozachka
12-30-2011, 11:12 PM
They are not my style, but I don't think that they are too expensive. I would be very reluctant to buy window coverings sight unseen, however.

elbenn
12-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Based on the good reviews, and the fact you could return them, I wouldn't have a problem buying them online. Curtains are just so expensive. I think it's one of those things where you get what you pay for. I think they are really pretty!

LearningAsWeGo
12-30-2011, 11:57 PM
I would buy them!

I went for a looong time without window treatments on many windows and then worked with a designer to help me get them all figured out. The price of the curtains was never very high (my style is modern, so no heavy detailing with lining, etc), but the hardware and installation was the expensive part.

I say buy what you love for the areas you are looking at all the time. And we splurged on some custom rods in the family room so we don't have to pull the rings/grommets over the overlapping part in an extending rod. But only in one area - the rest have a more of the shelf solution.

We also mix and match - one room is semi-custom (off the shelf curtains with custom panels sewn in so they are one of a kind), another room is all West Elm and others are Ikea (on West Elm hardward).

When we purchased several things from West Elm, I called and asked for a discount - they gave me one based on the size of the order.

Mermanaid
12-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Those are gorgeous. I have been looking for curtains forever so would totally go for it if I loved them. Otherwise keep looking.

wellyes
12-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Not that much too pay for something you'll be looking at every day for years and years and years. Window dressing is never cheap anyway. Buy them!

Kymberley
12-31-2011, 12:20 AM
I think they are beautiful, and totally something I would want! If you can swing it, get them!

Jo..
12-31-2011, 12:43 AM
Not my style either, but curtains are something that you and everyone who visits your home will see all of the time. I would totally splurge on the right window treatments.

kara97210
12-31-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't think they are too expensive. I really like them and like PP mentioned curtains are always pricey. If you love them, definitely buy them.

We got most of our curtains from Ikea and West Elm, but needed custom hardware which was $$$. I also have found great curtains at Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters (the really fun curtains in my DDs room are from UO).

Globetrotter
12-31-2011, 03:54 AM
I love those! I need to buy curtains after I figure out our lighting :)

marymoo86
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
They are pricey for a cotton/linen blend but not outrageously so a bit more expensive than a Pottery Barn but on par or slightly less than Restoration Hardware.

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Did you see the ones with a similar look at west elm? Would it be a good compromise?

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Forgot to mentioned that I looked at Ballard designs for those curtains but they didn't have them in the store!

mypa
12-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Curtains are one of those things that can really transform and finish off a room. It's also highly visible as it will basically take up one whole wall. So, for $150 x 4 = $600 it sounds reasonable. Think of how much rugs costs and those are usually half covered by furnishings.

With that being said, curtains (like rugs) are one of those things you really don't know how it will look until you place them in your room. That particular pattern, though beautiful, seems busy. Are the rest of your furnishing simple? Are you going to feel great looking at those curtains everyday or will you keep thinking of how much they cost. Since you can return them, it will only cost you the price of shipping to try them out, so I say if you love it, go for it.

We just replaced our living room curtains (from original owner) last year after 11yrs and I am so glad we did, totally transformed the room. In my case I was looking for a particular color combination to work w/my sofa and rug and was finally able to find a pattern (highly rated) from all places at Target.com. I really love the look of custom curtains with pleats so I had my mom put in pinch pleats and line it in muslin. Turned out gorgeous! All this to say that if the price of the curtain bothers you, there are alternatives out there as well.

JoyNChrist
12-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Love those!

I think it depends in part on how long you plan to stay in your home and how often you like to redecorate. $600 on curtains would be huge for me, because we plan to sell this house within the next year and a half, and because I'm constantly redecorating. But if you plan to be there for a long time and you don't get the redecorating bug too often, that's not really all that much money.

AbbysMom
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I love those curtains. I saw these that are similar but a little less expensive. I haven't bought from this site but saw it online.

http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/dunster-printed-cotton-curtains-drapes.html

I am redecorating my living room and have beige couches and walls and was trying to figure out what curtains would be good. I saw the above link from looking at this link:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/44861/Modern-Classic-Family-room-contemporary-family-room-atlanta

HannaAddict
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
That is very inexpensive for curtains/window treatments. Curtains that are custom made are staggering - our friend spent $50,000 on window treatments, custom made drapes for her 3,600 sq foot house. They look amazing, FWIW.

vludmilla
01-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Did you see the ones with a similar look at west elm? Would it be a good compromise?

No, I didn't. I'll have to take a look. West elm would be a better price, I'm sure. Thanks!

vludmilla
01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I love those curtains. I saw these that are similar but a little less expensive. I haven't bought from this site but saw it online.

http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/dunster-printed-cotton-curtains-drapes.html

I am redecorating my living room and have beige couches and walls and was trying to figure out what curtains would be good. I saw the above link from looking at this link:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/44861/Modern-Classic-Family-room-contemporary-family-room-atlanta

Ooh, thanks for the links! I forgot all about halfpricedrapes.com. Thanks for reminding me! I love the living room on Houuz too!

vludmilla
01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
That is very inexpensive for curtains/window treatments. Curtains that are custom made are staggering - our friend spent $50,000 on window treatments, custom made drapes for her 3,600 sq foot house. They look amazing, FWIW.

I suppose it is all relative. I do think your friend is an outlier with her 50k drapes.

lovebebes
01-03-2012, 03:12 AM
I posted another thread about some Ballard curtains that I really like but the price seems high. I've decided that I don't need 8 panels. I think I could get away with 4 panels and using some silk sheers behind them so that the drapes would not need to traverse the entire width of my very wide LR windows. But, even with a discount, each panel is $150. They are embroidered, made in Italy, weighted, lined, blah, blah but they aren't custom. Am I crazy to consider using Christmas money to buy these? Especially given that I can't even see them in person first? Talk me off the ledge or make me buy them. Help!
I would get them in the gray color, here's the link if you want to check them out. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/firenze-embroidered-panel/panels-draperies/window-treatments/13960?categoryId=10376&fromCart=true

FYI Ballard sends you a 15% off code for your birthday. And Ballard doesn't reaaaaly know when your birthday is :wink2: Your birthday is when you say it is, right when you sign up on their site.

I am a total curtain believer! To me curtains are the #1 way to transform your space. Light is so important in a room, and the way it filters through curtains that you love is well, awesome. We have a sunken living room that is adjoined with the dining room, and I just finished doing curtains in these rooms. I went with Restoration Hardware silk taffeta in pavillion stripe and it is simply amazing how the space has changed-it is gorgeous. We have not yet bought any "real" furniture since we've always had little ones- and the curtains totally make up for it. They make my antique shabby buffet look like a gorgeous french antique..kwim?
I do agree with one of the previous posters-you just dont know what the curtains will look like until you have them up. So far my verdict is-less is more. But that of course depends on your style. I first went with the Eucalyptus color (muted blue/grey with cream stripe) and then after having them for a couple of weeks I took them back and exchanged for the Pearl (beige with cream stripe). While the bluer toned ones were GORGEOUS, they were just too formal for me, whereas the cream ones give me a feeling of warmth.
Anyway...i say buy them if you love them, totally worth it!