PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some cold weather gear

elektra
12-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Looks like I will be in Indianapolis in early Feb. Luckily I was in NYC earlier this month and got shearling gloves, a wool hat, smart wool socks and hunter rain boots. I also got a wool coat but I don't think it will be enough for the 19 degree average lows. Brrrr!
I think I could get by with my current men's plain black north face down jacket. But I would prefer something a little longer and feminine and that won't look completely weird over a cocktail dress (but would also work with jeans).
I am now kicking myself for not getting something at the LE 40% off sale, like the luxe down coat http://www.landsend.com/pp/LuxeDownParka~228535_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::AG7&CM_MERCH=IDX_Women-_-Sale-_-Outerwear or something similar. It's at $89 now. Should I just get it once the trip is 100% confirmed? Any other recs?
I do have 2 pairs of tights to wear with dresses and a few scarves. I think the hunters will work too vs. bringing full on snow boots right?

And i still don't quite understand what one does if it is snowing and you need to dress up for an evening event. I thought I might encounter that situation in new york but I never did. I think I would probably just count on cabs and wear my normal heels vs. snow/rain boots, right?

abh5e8
12-31-2011, 02:13 AM
is your wool coat lined? would it look nice(r) with the cocktail dress? i have a long down puffy coat, with a fur lined hood. its so nice for the really cold days. i think its a bit longer then the LE one. its from eddie bauer, although i did like the patagonia one better.

when do you think you will wear the boots...just out and about or playing in snow? you might want some fleece or shearling liners for the hunters.

MontrealMum
12-31-2011, 02:19 AM
I'll let some of our members from Indy respond more fully but you may want to look into a full length wool coat. That would let you wear skirts/dresses but not completely freeze. Indy is significantly south of where I grew up and I do remember toughing it out in skirts/dresses in the winter if I was driving to places and only walking a short distance. I only gave up wearing them in the winter (most of the time) when I moved to frigid Montreal.

I would also caution you on wearing dress pants with boots that go underneath. Yes, wrinkles in pants from being tucked into boots are unsightly, but easily remedied after the pants have been worn. Salt stains from pants that are worn outside boots are very difficult to remove. They may look better when they're being worn, but they may also be ruined. The warmer it is in a climate that gets snow, the more salt they use.

elektra
01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
THanks for the advice so far. I had no idea about how the salt on the streets could ruin my pants. So you think a full length wool coat would be more practical thank a hooded down? I was thinking I would need down.

arivecchi
01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
It depends on the temps. Below 35, down would work. Above 35, down is too much IMO. When it snows or if it is slushy, I usually wear skirts and tights with rain boots with welly socks and change shoes at work (welly socks are key or your feet will freeze). I would not wear a down coat to a business dinner though. Too casual IMO. If I am cabbing it, I would just wear my regular boots to dinner.

Kindra178
01-04-2012, 12:06 PM
THanks for the advice so far. I had no idea about how the salt on the streets could ruin my pants. So you think a full length wool coat would be more practical thank a hooded down? I was thinking I would need down.

Down is way, way warmer than wool. Wool is probably dressier (but not necessarily trendier/more stylish - in a perfect world, you would wear a completely unwarm wool cape). Because you won't be wearing the coat at the event, it doesn't really matter what you wear to and from the event. Indy in February could be 35 or 15, or anywhere in between. It's usually way warmer than Chicago. If you think you will have more use for a down coat (weekend in Tahoe?), I would go with that and wear it at night. I have been to a ton of fancy events over the years and seen extremely fashionable women in down coats. Sometimes being warm trumps fashion.

SnuggleBuggles
01-04-2012, 12:27 PM
18 isn't that cold. :)

I would go with down instead of wool. I personally don't find my wool coats to be all that warm.

People often dress for the cold, especially during the day. So, don't worry about the style aspect. At night, I agree that a wool coat would look better with cocktail attire and I would wear one. Dressier coats at night for some situations. Remember though that most people check their coats as soon as they get somewhere so not many people will see you if you opt to wear a less dressy coat.

KathyN115
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
18 isn't that cold. :)

I would go with down instead of wool. I personally don't find my wool coats to be all that warm.

OMG, it is 15 here today, and I am freezing, even with a down jacket! but I totally agree about wool coats, I rarely wear them, because by the time it is cold enough to wear them, they aren't warm enough!!! If you are going to be outside at all, definitely go with the down. I saw a really nice North Face down coat at Macys before christmas, it seemed really warm, had a zip out down liner, a waterproof trench-like outer. I was really tempted, but I bought a big puffy NF down coat last winter so couldn't justify the $$ (and it was way too much $$ for me) but you could zip out the liner at night, and it wouldn't be terrible over dressy clothes.

Well, I can't seem to find it, but this is the one I have, and really like:

http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-womens-arctic-parka-montague-blue

This one is looks a little dressier: http://www.zappos.com/the-north-face-womens-tremaya-parka-tnf-black

DrSally
01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
18 degrees is warm. Ifmyou're just going door to door, i wear a long wool coat with dresses/skirtsin the winter. If there's a lot of snow, i'll wear a low boot and change before getting out of e car. I can't imahine you'll be walking outside a lot while wearing a skirt/dress?

elektra
01-04-2012, 03:56 PM
18 degrees is warm.
I am talking 18 degress Farenheit, not Celcius, people! ;)
No, I probably won't have to be outside all that much- not like walking all around NYC as I was a few weeks ago, but there will be outside time, some of it at night. And I will be counting on coat checks, so I am not overly concerned about needing to look super stylish while outside, just pulled together.

I basically want to avoid looking like the goon I did last year at this event, with my black jacket and brown thin vest I wore under it, as I was desperate for another layer, and I did not care if the black/brown looked ridiculous. I have a hat on under there too!
You should see the pictures of me in my low top converse and linen pants in the snow. Not exactly ideal footwear for snow.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6636553029_c637781086.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44911561@N02/6636553029/)

KrisM
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
A low of 18 isn't too bad. That is the temp after midnight, usually. It was 17 when we went to the bus stop today. I wore a regular winter coat (hip length) and gloves. I did not wear a hat. I wore sneakers. My kids had snow pants on and boots, etc., but they were going to be playing at recess for 25 minutes, so they needed to be dressed for that. Unless you are walking outside for 15+ minutes, a wool coat should be fine. If you're doing car to building, there really isn't a need for huge coats, extra socks, etc.

I'd stick with what you have already.

And, FWIW, my anniversary is Feb. 2 and I got married in Michigan and it was 55 deg that day. So, you might have tons of stuff and warm weather.

scriptkitten
01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Go to shopbop.com. The brand Plush sells fleece lined black opaque tights. They are stylish and warm.

Personally I would layer under the wool coat and get a nice chunky knit infinity scarf and wear tall knee high boots. Leather, not hunter.

alexsmommy
01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Personally I would layer under the wool coat and get a nice chunky knit infinity scarf and wear tall knee high boots. Leather, not hunter.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a down or wool coat, but it's a matter of how you think you'd use it outside of this trip. If you ski, then a down coat you could use in the evenings at the lodge would be a good multipurpose item. You want a coat though, not a jacket, so it would most likely be too long for actual skiing. Here in the midwest, no one thinks anything of using a down coat to get to and from events. We have LOTS of coat checks for this reason, you won't be seen in the coat by most people at most formal events. Even if you see us with thicker blood toughing it out formal event with no hat and some type of wool wrap, just mention you are from California and everyone will be impressed you don't have a blanket wrapped OVER the down coat lol.
If you think you would get some use out of a down coat at other events, then I agree with scriptkitten. Just getting in and out of a cab or walking a block from a hotel to a restaurant, knee high heeled boots cover most of the leg so at most your knees might be exposed a bit in tights. In either case some lined leather gloves, a great scarf and some type of ear covering in case you hit a brutal cold snap. I have earmuff type things for evenings when I don't want to risk ruining my hair with a hat. If you don't ski, I'd probably do the wool coat because you could use in in several climates. Make sure it's a HEAVY wool coat. They make thin fashion ones which are useless when it's below 35 or the wind kicks up.

arivecchi
01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Now that I think about it, the LE luxe coat is such a good deal and is kind of dressy, that it might make sense to get one if you think you would get some use out of it. Get the black or brown which should work for most outfits. You can also make a quick pitstop in Chitown and raid my coat closet. ;)

TwinFoxes
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Elektra, don't believe these people 18 is COLD! Especially for SoCal girls like us. :kisscheek: It was 19 here this morning, and I had on my luxe coat and my Sorels. I say get the Luxe, and make more trips back east to visit friends. Also a cute scarf really helps.

DrSally
01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
:rotflmao: it's all relative. We're thrilled with anything above zero!

I think the LE coat would be fine over a dress too, and you could get more use out of it in the future.

mackmama
01-04-2012, 11:16 PM

:yeahthat: I was just on holiday in 15 degrees below zero and spent a lot of time outside. I get cold easily, but a long wool coat was fine. I'd probably go with your long wool coat instead of the short down parka. If you are not going to be spending much time outside, I don't think you need a long down coat. I think warm tights and tall leather boots are a good idea in snow for evening. I'd also wear warm socks over the tights in the boots.

MontrealMum
01-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Let me preface this by saying, you know where I'm from, I run colder than you CA girls do ;) That said, this is the sort of thing I'd go for for that kind of trip:
long wool coat in a neutral color: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/calvin-klein-notch-collar-coat/3204220?origin=category&resultback=930 this one is not thinsulate lined, but you can get this sort of thing: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61752?feat=62463-ppxs&dds=y which is lined. The suggestion of the LE luxe coat is also a good one as it's got a dressy vibe to it.

With that I'd wear a dress/skirt, and long, lined leather boots. Not Hunters or Fryes. Something like these:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/la-canadienne-mazy-waterproof-boot/3115651?origin=category&resultback=3136
the higher ones here: http://www.lacanadienneshoes.com/boots.html?boots_function=158&limit=all&boots_function=158
or these http://www.zappos.com/ugg-hartley-black Those are suggestions. I wasn't looking at the price tags, but just going with brands I liked. You get the idea.

Add a cute scarf, hat, and warm shearling gloves and you're all set :)

Whatever coat you choose, tall boots are key to staying warm in a dress/skirt. The long wool coat just adds an extra layer of protection, but I agree that it really depend on how much wear you think you'll get out of it.

elektra
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone! Especially love the specific links and recos.
Now I just need to figure out my priorities- warmth, cost, ability to reuse, fashion.....
I really like the thinking that if I just schedule more trips back east to visit friends, then it will justify any new coat purchase I might make. That is totally my kind of logic. ;)

I do have two pairs of tall leather boots- brown riding boots and black heeled swashbuckler types. And fleece-lined tights -- who knew!
I do think I should start with an infinity scarf as I have been wanting one. Still debating on down or long wool now.
You can see my current down option in the pic. And my current wool coat is more of a thin, shorter fashion one from Zara.

MontrealMum
01-07-2012, 01:04 AM
So, today it was 17 F out and here's what I wore:
Keen boots (http://www.endless.com/Womens-Shoes-Boots/s/ref=topnav_sd_womensboot_s?ie=UTF8&node=242261011#__ie%3DUTF8%26cAsin%3DB003O2SGDO%26 fromPage%3Dsearch%26sr%3D1-29%26qid%3D1325911864528%26asinTitle%3DKeen~~20Ber n~~20Baby~~20Bern~~20Casual~~20Boot%26contextTitle %3Dsearch~~20results%26clientPageSize%3D100%26node %3D242261011%26sort%3Drelevance-fs-browse-rank%26onsale%3D1%26nodes%3D242278011%26asin%3DB00 3O2SGK2%26ref%3Dsr_1_29%26pageCode%3Dd)
this coat (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66127?feat=56671-ppxs&dds=y) from LLB
a wool hat, wool cowl sweater (so no scarf), jeans tucked into boots and these Chlorophylle gloves (http://www.chlorophylle.net/?ref=mitts-and-gloves(7).php&action=voir_detail&fiche_id=1213).

I was quite comfortable since I didn't spend a lot of time standing around outside. Otherwise, I'd have been in my blanket coat. I think I would have been fine in a longer length lined wool coat with a skirt/dress as well...maybe something like this (http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11820688&utm_source=GAN&camp=affiliate_k109972&ganpid=kaboodle.com&ganlid=Primary&utm_medium=kaboodle.com&utm_campaign=Primary&utm_term=)? For a skirt/dress I'd go for boots with more of a heel too.