PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your WALKING shoes!

Mamma2004
12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
My old running shoes are not encouraging me to get out there and power walk. I know I need better support and would like to get a year-end deal (if possible) on a great pair of walking shoes.

My feet are narrow but I usually do fine in regular width athletic shoes. Any great models you would suggest?

TIA!

crl
12-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Well, my feet are wide so these may not be the best suggestions for you. I walk my dog about three miles nearly everyday. I walk in either my vasque trail running shoes (which I own to walk in--not a trail runner here. :hysterical:) or my keen sandals.

Catherine

liz
12-31-2011, 10:05 AM
I love walking, and I have found running shoes to be the best shoe for me. They are very comfortable, lightweight, have good support and usually "breathe" better because of the mesh (versus walking shoes that are usually all leather). Sauconys are my favorite.

Beth24
12-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I walk in Asics Gel Kayano running shoes. I usually can find the prior years model at a discount, I've even found them for half price at Nordstrom Rack.

kmkaull
12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
I like my Reebok Runtones. If you want to splurge, MBT's are the best walking shoes I've ever worn. I have had the same pair for 3 years and they are in great shape.
http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/mbt-womens?cm_mmc=GoogleAdWords-_-TWC%20MBT%20%28Search%29-_-MBT%20-%20Exact-_-mbt-womens&gclid=CLH9gfbcrK0CFQQCQAod2AJynw

Mamma2004
12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
I am surprised that so many of you walk in "running" shoes. My running shoes (when not worn out) are so comfortable; I just remember hearing that the foot does not strike the ground in the same way and that "walking shoes" are so much better for the feet. Hmmm, now maybe I'll just get new running shoes and wear them for either activity.

Further thoughts?

liz
12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
I am surprised that so many of you walk in "running" shoes. My running shoes (when not worn out) are so comfortable; I just remember hearing that the foot does not strike the ground in the same way and that "walking shoes" are so much better for the feet. Hmmm, now maybe I'll just get new running shoes and wear them for either activity.

Further thoughts?

I think that used to be the case, but I know I have recently read this isn't really true anymore. Of course I don't know where I read this, but I remember because it made me feel better about my choice :)

Beth24
12-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Further thoughts?

I first went to a local store that's specializes in fitting shoes for all types of sports, and that sells all brands, including shoes just made for walking. I told them that I needed a walking shoe and the Asics Gel Kayano was what they recommended. It fits me great (I wear half a size larger in an athletic shoe than a regular shoe, and this was no exception) and I have been buying them ever since. I need a new pair every year or two. HTH.

lorinick
12-31-2011, 07:00 PM
I also walk in running shoes. I love and now only buy Ryka.

Mamma2004
12-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks very much, Ladies - maybe it will feel less wasteful to use one pair of shoes for most fitness activities. Next week I hope to find great running/walking shoes.
Thanks again, and Happy New Year!