PDA

View Full Version : Grammar question?

amm40
12-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Working on a photo album text, it's two people's first time doing something, so is it "Bob and Jane's first time..." or "Bob's and Jane's first time..." The subjects are not married or a couple, ( I don't think that matters grammatically anyway) and my hunch is that the second is correct, even though it feels awkward to say it that way.

ahisma
12-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Bob and Jane's

karstmama
12-31-2011, 12:59 PM
i think ahisma's right - if it were bob *or* jane, i think you'd say 'bob's or jane's first time...' but since it's an 'and' i think both are indicated by 'jane's' - if any of that makes sense. and if i'm wrong, other posters, please point it out! grammar is interesting but it's been a loooong time since grade school when i actually studied it!

mommylamb
12-31-2011, 01:23 PM
I also think it's Bob and Jane's. The reason is that the "first time" is something shared by both of them.

If you were saying for example Bob and Jane's puppies and they both owned the puppies together (joint custody :tongue5:) than the apostrophe is just after Jane. But if Bob and Jane each has a puppy, than it's Bob's and Jane's puppies.

amm40
12-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Thank you everyone, and mommylamb your explanation helped alot! Isn't grammar fascinating?