PDA

View Full Version : If you have a cat, where is the litter box?

kaitlyns.mom
12-31-2011, 03:47 PM
We don't have a laundry room at our new place so the box is in the master bathroom. I am not a fan of having it in there, especially with two cats!

If you have a cat, where do you keep the litter box?

mjs64
12-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Guest bathroom

lalasmama
12-31-2011, 04:02 PM
This sounds gross, but I promise, I'll explain.

The litter box is in... the kitchen/dining room. YUCK, I know. However, we don't eat in the dining room, we use it as a storage space. It's away from food prep areas, and away from where people eat, hidden in a corner, behind boxes, so you don't see it at all.

happy2bamom
12-31-2011, 04:15 PM
I"m in the same boat as you OP. Ours is in the master bedroom/bathroom. I HATE this set-up but our cats have to be confined to that area b/c they tend to pee wherever they want when the mood strikes them. The best set-up I've seen is at my friends house. they have a basement. In the wall, going downstairs to the basement they cut out a whole (and made a shelf on the otherside of the wall) and put the litter box in there. They don't have to look at it or smell it (it's an unfinished basement).

cntrymoon2
12-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Laundry room under the utility sink and master bathroom in the space under the counter where you're supposed to tuck in a chair.

Staraglimmer
12-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Laundry room. When we moved, there wasn't room for it in our new laundry room, so we had the hot water heater put on a wooden platform so that the box could go under it.

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

AshleyAnn
12-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Our new house is small with no laundry room so the catbox is under the breakfast bar in the diningroom. I hate it as the smell is in the main room (open floor plan). I keep thinking about buying a covered box and relocating it to my bedroom but i hate the lose litter getting into the carpet.

I learned the hard way that a bathroom is a bad plan. We put our box in the master bath at our first apartment and the litter that got kicked out on the floor would stick to our clean feet after a shower and its really hard to it clean up if it gets wet. yuck.

lele
12-31-2011, 04:36 PM
We have an unused 1/2 bath that has become the cat's bathroom.

KHF
12-31-2011, 04:52 PM
We have ours in the closet under the basement stairs. We put a baby gate with a pet door in the doorway. Keeps the kids out and the cats can go in.

geochick
12-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Our master bath. The toilet room has its own door. We have a finger guard/bumper on the door so it can never fully close. We use a litter box with a lid and a flap door. We face the flap door towards the corner of the room, and put a little litter mat there. The cat has to enter and exit from that corner so the litter gets trapped on that mat. The lid and flap keep dust and odors down. People always comment how our house doesn't smell like a Cat House. I think it's because we keep the litter away from people.

lisa928
12-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Laundry room, but use it be in a space bedroom before kids. I bought and stained a wooden toy chest (that hinges on top) and cut a hole on the side. Now she goes in and does her business but it is hidden. For us to get at it we just open the lid and close it back when done.

wimama
12-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Laundry room. When we moved, there wasn't room for it in our new laundry room, so we had the hot water heater put on a wooden platform so that the box could go under it.

My old cat was afraid of the furnace and water heater and the noises it made. So, we had to keep the litter box away from it. In this house we have a basement laundry room. The box is tucked into a corner away from the laundry area. That way the litter doesn't get tracked all over and the cat has her privacy.

mom_hanna
12-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Ours is in the basement bathroom, in a corner under the shelves. We finished the basement and made the space specifically to fit a litter box! We cut a hole in the basement door and put in a cat door, so the cats can get down there but the dog can not go hunting for treats. Yuck.

kaitlyns.mom
12-31-2011, 07:34 PM
We have ours in the closet under the basement stairs. We put a baby gate with a pet door in the doorway. Keeps the kids out and the cats can go in.

Can I ask what kind of gate you have?

We have a screened-in patio that theoretically could house the litter box. We rent though, so to make it work we would have to buy a door to install a cat door into. TBH I have thought about letting the cats live out there most of the time. :o We live in Southern CA so the weather is moderate and DH is allergic, so it would make things easier on him.

The renters who were here before must have kept their box in the living room closet (or their cat just used it instead of a box), because it smells like cat urine when you first open the door. Yuck.

mmsmom
12-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Currently in an unfinished basement & we have a cat door in the basement door. It is an ideal location. However I have also lived in small apartments with a cat & dog so the litterbox was in a closet that I could prop the door open enough for the cat to get in but keep the dog out. When I first moved into an apartment I got a LitterMaid litter box and I can't recommend it enough. It helps tremendously with the smell & is so easy to maintain. Well worth the $. We have found the older version works better (not the one they currently have at Target). When we needed to replace recently we found the older version on Amazon. They last a few years.

karstmama
12-31-2011, 09:18 PM
in the upstairs living room area under some stairs. there's a big shelf facing left, the stairs are on the right, there's a curtain over the triangle-y hole area, and under it is a small bookshelf, some cleaning supplies like the vacuum, his food on one side, and his litter box on the other.

we actually use a downstairs area as the actual living room, but it doesn't smell unless i've been really slack about cleaning.

i've also had him in my bedroom closet, the laundry room, and under a pantry counter in different houses/apartments. he's a versatile guy.

Pear
12-31-2011, 09:19 PM
In the storage room. We cut a hole for a cat door into the wall so the cats have free access, but DD can't get into the storage room. I originally planned on cutting the hole in the door, but the contractor pointed put it would be easier and cheaper to repair the wall than the door.