PDA

View Full Version : CL price for CDs...Bumgenius?

Melaine
12-31-2011, 03:58 PM
I am browsing craigslist and some cloth diapers came up. I would like to CD this baby, though DH is reluctant. Just curious if this is a good deal, and any comments on the brand would also be appreciated:

26 BumGenius 3.0's, very good used condition, a few light stains. 20 extra inserts, 12 replacement kits, 2 wet bags (1 big, 1 small), plus diaper sprayer: for $220.

The photos of the diapers look like they are in excellent shape, she said she had to switch to sposies because of daycare.

What is a replacement kit?

Update: So, I sold our guest room furniture and DH has begrudgingly agreed to let me use some of the money on cloth. She still has this lot so I am hoping to buy it ASAP! So excited...can't wait to try these!

abh5e8
12-31-2011, 04:24 PM
replacement kit is for the velcro tabs, so you can sew on new ones. i think that is an awesome deal!

Melaine
12-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks! I am not reading great things about the ones with velcro...has anyone used them? It does seem like a really good deal. DH is not on board with CDing at this point, but I am trying to convince him.

AustenFan
12-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Definitely plenty to CD a child birth-PT.

We have several BG 3.0s, and for one child, I wouldn't be too concerned about the velcro. I had to replace a lot of velcro between #2 and #3 (actually not too hard if you or a friend has a sewing machine), but if these have just been used by one child, it should stick just fine for you. The BG quality in general is quite good, and it's nice to have the replacement kits if/when the elastic and velcro tabs wear out.

Velcro is easier to fasten than snaps when they're in the super wiggly stage, but I generally advise snaps for longevity (3+ kids). I've been CDing nonstop for almost 5 years now, and I have not had to replace any of my snaps. Your DH might even prefer the velcro because it's similar to disposables.

If you (or DH) don't end up liking them, you can definitely resell them for that amount or more!

Melaine
12-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you, I appreciate the responses! I do have a sewing machine and I'm sure I could replace velcro no problem if needed. I would really like to buy these. I just asked her if she was interested in a trade and she said she was open to it, but didn't need clothes or toys and that was all I could think to offer!

DH doesn't really care about the difficulty of it, (and truthfully, he will probably not do very much diapering, which is fine). He is just grossed out by the thought of any kind of poop being in our washing machine at any point. I sort of get where he is coming from on this and am not sure how to sway him. It doesn't gross me out, but I understand why it grosses him out.

AustenFan
12-31-2011, 08:53 PM
haha, totally know what you mean about him probably not doing much of the diapering.:)

Did he get grossed out when your other kids had a blowout or an accident while potty training or skid marks from wiping unassisted? That poop has to go in the washing machine, right? DD1 pooped in her panties several times when we got rid of diapers, and that actually grosses me out a lot more than poopy diapers, though I just end up tossing her panties in DD2's diaper pail and washing it all together.

But I do remember my DH being weirded out by the poop in the washer when we started CDing.

Melaine
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM
haha, totally know what you mean about him probably not doing much of the diapering.:)

Did he get grossed out when your other kids had a blowout or an accident while potty training or skid marks from wiping unassisted? That poop has to go in the washing machine, right? DD1 pooped in her panties several times when we got rid of diapers, and that actually grosses me out a lot more than poopy diapers, though I just end up tossing her panties in DD2's diaper pail and washing it all together.

But I do remember my DH being weirded out by the poop in the washer when we started CDing.

Believe it or not the girls never had poop accidents. They were really weird about potty training! It took them forever, but once they were trained, there was no going back. I don't really remember much poop going through the wash in the past....not to say that we haven't put all kinds of other gross stuff through there.

As a matter of fact, when the girls both threw up on our area rug in the living room, we rolled it up and threw it away. :rotflmao:

AnnieW625
01-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I love the Bum Genius diapers. I have 8 of them and want more, but we only CD at night and on werkends and holidays, and with my luck I'll get more and DD2 will potty train in an instant. wish I would have started using them ehen the prefolds with DD2 didn't work out (she got really bad diaper rash). I believe I have the 3.0 version as I don't have stuff them, and they are size large. I paid $8 a piece for mine off of diaper swappers used. I think that $220 for that many diapers plus the acessories and plus the fact that they already been prepped is a good deal. I also find the Velcro especially with a wiggly baby to be so much easier than snaps. I also like these for night time diapers and just use a Gerber prefold as a doubler.

legaleagle
01-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Love bumgenius - I've tried tons of brands in my 3+ years of cloth diapers, including 15 months of 2 in cloth and if I had to pick one, I'd definitely go with bumgenius. They just fit my kids so beautifully and they wear like iron (except for the velcro & elastic, which will wear out on any diaper, the actual fabric is in perfect shape even on my oldest diapers.

BayGirl2
01-04-2012, 02:39 AM
The 3.0s are pockets, not All in One's so they do need to be stuffed. So consider if you are ok with the stuffing - not a big deal for some, but I didn't want to deal with it.

BG is really good quality IME. That seems like a really good deal to me. I just had my mother replace the velcro on our stash of 28 Elementals. I can't sew and hate trying, but she was able to do it in a few hours. I prefer velcro because its more adjustable for my skinny kids, I can never get just the right fit with snaps.

How does your DH feel about Vomit and other nasty kid stuff in the washer? Seriously, of all the gross kid stuff I touch in a typical day, CD's are far from the top of my list in terms of yuckiness.

Jenn27
01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
BGs were my favorite and that's a great deal!

Melaine
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Ahhh I still really want these! They are still on CL....we just can't afford them right now and yesterday I got a call that my insurance is no longer covering my progesterone shots (how idiotic is that) and I had to spend $330 at the dentist. :-(

Normally, I would just list a bunch of stuff on CL and try to quick make the cash but I don't even think I have enough stuff to list right now!

Melaine
01-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Bumping for update

edurnemk
01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I think it's a great deal! I sold some organic AIO Bumgenius on diaperswappers.com for about $14 each a couple of years ago.

We used BG 3.0's for DS from 4 months until he was PT'd, I love them! I do think that for the newborn stage they may not fit every baby very well, though. For this baby I plan on reusing our BG's and Happy Heinny's pockets, but for the first couple of months I'll probably get fitted diapers and covers

daisymommy
01-17-2012, 10:44 PM
The way I figure it, you just paid about $5 per diaper :applause:. That rocks!
About half of our stash is BG with velcro. I like how uber-adjustable velcro is. You aren't limited by where the snap placements are. Yes, the velcro does get pilly, so after 1 child uses them till PT you can either shave the tabs with a sweater shaver, or replace them.

I think you'll really like them!

So, are you doing disposables until baby grows into them? (10 lbs. or so)
You'll just need some cloth wipes and a pail and you'll be all set!

Melaine
01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes, I'm planning to use sposies until the BG fit....my great aunt has offered to buy disposables (I was hoping she would offer to give me money towards cloth but I think she was horrified by the idea that I might CD). Anyway, I'm hoping that she will give us enough at the beginning to use those until we get into the cloth.

Maybe I will make wipes....I've made cloth napkins...must be similar? OOOOH I bet I will wish I had saved some of those old linens I just threw out.

Melaine
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Got them....super excited! They look good I think. I will probably take some pics for fun later.

mum-to-be
01-19-2012, 01:55 AM
I think that is a great price given you have a diaper sprayer in there too. You might want to get a set of newborn diapers as well though. One size diapers didn't fit our DD until she was at least 4 months and 15lbs, and she was born 9lbs. You can hire newborn diapers. I had 14 of them and it wasn't enough - I had to wash them every day (she went through 10/day and was wearing some while I washed and dried them).

mum-to-be
01-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Yes, I'm planning to use sposies until the BG fit....my great aunt has offered to buy disposables (I was hoping she would offer to give me money towards cloth but I think she was horrified by the idea that I might CD). Anyway, I'm hoping that she will give us enough at the beginning to use those until we get into the cloth.

Maybe I will make wipes....I've made cloth napkins...must be similar? OOOOH I bet I will wish I had saved some of those old linens I just threw out.

Oh, I just saw this post. Can you return the disposables and use the money to invest in cloth? I loved cloth diapering my newborn. They don't leak like disposables. We used disposables when we were out and about, and it was always disastrous, whereas a good fitted and cover never did! I tried different brands of sposies too, and they just couldn't cope with the explosive poo - the elastic in those things is pretty poor compared to cloth. Finally at 2 months, my previously anti-cloth DH asked me to never again put her in a sposie, and she didn't wear one after that day. This was after a shockingly bad day at his company July 4th party which was held at a ranch - I thought it would be easier to use disposables rather than tote around poo diapers. Two massive blowouts (one side, one back - no rhyme or reason) and I toted around two sets of poo-covered clothes for the day, and to make matters worse I had poo on my own pants for the whole day! People think cloth diapering is a lot of work and a lot of washing, but we rarely got poo on clothes, so we cut back on the laundry in that regard.

Oh and I meant to say that cloth wipes are easy - if you have any old baby washcloths, those work well. Otherwise try to track down bamboo fleece - it is lovely and soft, and really works well at getting everything clean. I kept the wipes in a wipes warmer with just water. They worked so much better than disposable wipes. I did buy bumgenius bamboo wipes - they aren't available anymore but if you can find them, they are great. My friend in Australia ordered bamboo fleece and cut her own.

Melaine
01-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh I forgot to say that the diaper sprayer had been sold (it was an extra $20). I was disappointed because I totally would have snagged it but I got all the diapers and 2 wetbags for $200....still a good deal I guess.

I don't know....I really like the idea of disposables on a newborn. We never had that much of an issue with blowouts with the girls. I know that DH is not expecting me to spend anything else on cloth (yeah, probably because I promised yesterday before I begged the $200). I did put an ad up on freecycle for CDing supplies so many someone will give me some prefolds I could try when he is a newborn.

ETA: Thanks for the info on wipes, guys!

Melaine
01-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Here's a pic of what I got!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/DSCN4839-1.jpg

daisymommy
01-19-2012, 10:10 AM
What a perfect stash for a little boy! You really lucked out!!!