PDA

View Full Version : Progressive party etiquette

elektra
12-31-2011, 06:57 PM
My neighbor invited DH and me to a progressive party, where we start on one house in the neighborhood and go to a new house each hour. I have never been to one of these. What do I bring? Smething to the first house maybe? We are not hosting one of the stops.

TwinFoxes
12-31-2011, 07:00 PM
I think this is a perfect drink giving occasion. :) Is "dessert" one of the stops? If not you could bring one. I think you should bring something everyone can enjoy. How fun to get to go to one, but not have to cook!

karstmama
12-31-2011, 07:17 PM
hmm, i've always heard of these as courses - so apps at the first, salad at the second, soup at the third, main at the next, then dessert. of course, could be different order or what have you, but that's what i think of for this type of party.

anyway, my point is that all the food *might* be taken care of, so ask & make sure before bringing, or take what you're bringing to the right stop before going to stop one.

SnuggleBuggles
12-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting, they are usually planned so you have to do something. In my neighborhood you choose assignments. The assignments are either hosting or providing something for one of the courses.

In your case, I'd bring a bottle of wine. It's easier to get the contribution out of the way at the start of the night so you aren't carrying it from house to house.

lucybabymamma
12-31-2011, 10:20 PM
We had one a few years ago -- SO much fun. I would say drinks for sure. Maybe something for one of the stops or to enjoy along the way (if you are walking).

SkyrMommy
12-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Basket of mixed drinks makings... pick a few easy to make drinks that you could have a portable bar to mix appropriate drinks depending on the food at the houses.

Sounds very cool, have fun!

fortato
12-31-2011, 10:30 PM
We had our second annual one 3 weeks ago. SO MUCH FUN. We split it into 4 stops.
Stop #1 Apps/Salad/Soup- very casual, gives people time to show up- we stay about an hour.
Stop #2 Dinner- another hour.
Stop #3 Dessert and drinks- This can be your last stop. We're usually warmed up and ready to party at this point, which means we need:
Stop #4 Drinks and dancing... one house has the best basement for dancing and hanging out. Usually we aren't ready to go home, so we converge here and hang out... letting people leave when they need to... no rush.

We assign one or two things per couple and usually, someone comes up with a new cocktail. Try to keep things disposable, because no one wants to miss out on the fun to have to stay behind and clean up.

elektra
01-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks everyone! I wish I would have thought of some kind of portable drinks thing for walking from one house to the next. I am the rookie so they probably won't expect much from me (I'm hoping at least!) I did email the hostess earlier today and she never responded. I am bringing a bottle of Veuve, and offering to drop it off at the house we will be at last/midnight. off I go!