PDA

View Full Version : Q about Star Wars

wendmatt
12-31-2011, 11:36 PM
DD wants to watch Star Wars (wants to know what all the boys are raving about!). Do we start with 1 and go through 6 or watch it the way we originally watched it starting with the oldest one first? 1 first seems to make most sense doesn't it?

Penny's Pappa
12-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Spare your kids the agony, start with 4 and never mention 1-3.

khm
12-31-2011, 11:51 PM
My husband would strongly agree with the above. ;) He has our son completely on the Start with 4 bandwagon. DVDs 1-3 have been seen, but 4-6 have been about worn out. ha.

wendmatt
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
LOL! I have never seen 2 or 3 and don't remember 5 or 6 so I'm no expert :) She wants to start with 1 as her best friend told her all about it.

Pear
01-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Definitely start with 4.

wellyes
01-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Do 4-6 first, but you still have to do 1-3. I think that's actually the logical way to go through it, that is how they were created and conceived. Early on, it's much better to NOT know Vader's backstory. (Or that Luke and Leia are siblings because they do make out a bit). 1-3 are needed to understand Clone Wars, which is I assume "what all the boys are raving about".

ETA not sure about age but I found the 3rd movie the most disturbing. It is PG-13.

malphy
01-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I do not understand....

Why not 1-3?????

I saw them in the theater when they originally came out. What is wrong with them. I would say start from the beginning.

What am I missing???? Or maybe I am just showing my age???!!!!lol

SnuggleBuggles
01-01-2012, 12:20 AM
4-6 are enough. :) Spare everyone the horrible acting of the kid in #1 + Jar Jar. I wouldn't sit through that movie again even if you paid me.

wellyes
01-01-2012, 12:35 AM
I do not understand....

Why not 1-3?????

I saw them in the theater when they originally came out. What is wrong with them. I would say start from the beginning.

1-3 are the ones with the Hayden Christensen. 4-6 are the old ones.

sarahsthreads
01-01-2012, 12:54 AM

:yeahthat:

DD1 has only seen 4, and we don't want to show her 1-3 until she's seen 5 & 6, but feel they'd a bit too much for her right now. The line "Luke, I am your father" would be so much less dramatic if you already knew the backstory, no?

Sarah :)

cono0507
01-01-2012, 01:38 AM
We started with (and DH only planned for) 4,5,6.
But DS's classmates and friends talked so much about 1,2,3 that he ended up watching them too, after 4,5,6

eagle
01-01-2012, 01:44 AM
its much more dramatic if you only watch 4-6 for a while. much more dramatic, much better.

malphy
01-01-2012, 01:47 AM
i'm so confused. i just love star wars and can't keep track of the "order"

ellies mom
01-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Well, showing my age here. The original three (4, 5, and 6 now) are the best of the six. By far. The next three (1, 2, 3 now) are fine in the offering background aspect but just don't compare. I mean there are the fighting Yoda scenes that are amazing but they really can't carry all three films. It is better to get them hooked on the good movies. And then show the first three and then set them loose on the Clone Wars.

Here, this might help. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY)

sntm
01-01-2012, 03:13 AM
DS was very opinionated and insisted on exact numerical order (it is his way). Sadly, he prefers 1-3. I haven't disowned him yet.

KHF
01-01-2012, 07:30 AM

:yeahthat: I wish I had spared myself the agony of 1-3.

TwinFoxes
01-01-2012, 07:39 AM

4-6 are "Star Wars" "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", the ones that came out in what, the '80s?

1-3, were the "new" ones with Hayden Christenson and Natalie Portman. And who can forget Jar-Jar Binks???

swissair81
01-01-2012, 08:51 AM

definitely :yeahthat: 1-3 were dreadful.

KrisM
01-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I do not understand....

Why not 1-3?????

If you're very young, you may not have seen the original 3 movies, which are 4-6. The 1-3 movies came up much later and to those of us who grew up on Star Wars, 4 is the one to start with. #4 came out in 1977. #1 didn't come out until 1999, I think. So, if you're in your early 20s, you saw the 2nd 3 in the theater when they first came out, not the original 3.

elizabethkott
01-01-2012, 09:48 AM
J saw 4-6 first , and the 1-3.
He is currently at the kitchen table playing with his "Star Wars Guys".
I am pleased to say that he hates 1-3, and thinks Jar Jar Binks is "annoying".
:D

liz
01-01-2012, 09:59 AM
spare your kids the agony, start with 4 and never mention 1-3.

ITA :rotflmao:

elephantmeg
01-01-2012, 10:05 AM
we did 4-6 too. And I think he actually has only seen 4&5

wellyes
01-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Chronologically
1 = Darth Vader is a kid
2 = He becomes a Jedi
3 = He heads towards the dark side
4 = His twins become embroiled in the rebellion against his Evil empire
5 = His son becomes a Jedi
6 = Vader is redeemed

Us adults like the superior later movies, kids like the earlier movies because they tie into the Clone War TV series.

dogmom
01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Chronologically
1 = Darth Vader is a kid
2 = He becomes a Jedi
3 = He heads towards the dark side
4 = His twins become embroiled in the rebellion against his Evil empire
5 = His son becomes a Jedi
6 = Vader is redeemed

Us adults like the superior later movies, kids like the earlier movies because they tie into the Clone War TV series.

Yeah, that. For the longest time I held off on showing my son 3 because of Anakin killing the younglings, but no big deal for him. I think it's in keeping with the idea of Star Wars as a myth. (Although I think Joseph Campbell completely over did it.) They don't see it as real life, they see it as story/fary tale, myth.

I also hated, hated 1-3, bitched about it all the time. Then I friend of my with boys 10-13, said, "Stupid, it's not for you, it's for my sons." Which, looking back 4-6 was great for me when it came out, when I was in 7th grade. As an adult if I remove the haze of found memories, it is really not much better than 1-3. (Ewoks anyone?)

The best ones are the Clone Wars mini-episodes that Genndy Tartakovsky did, but I love all her stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genndy_Tartakovsky

As a side note, if you are going full into the Star Wars things and your kids get into the Clone Wars series do yourself a favor and get Samari Jack.

hellokitty
01-01-2012, 12:33 PM

:yeahthat: I think that 1-3 is MUCH more violent than the original SW. My kids and I argue all of the time. My boys think that clone troopers are good, I call them the bad guys. They like the first 3 movies much more, Idk if it has to do with the fact that they are more drawn to anakin's character, since he is a young boy, but I don't like the graphics of the newer ones, I prefer the cheesier old fashioned stuff, lol.

AnnieW625
01-01-2012, 12:37 PM

:yeahthat: although DH will still watch those if they are on and DD1 has seen bits and pieces of them as she knows who the Queen is. If you want to tell the kids about the prequels have them watch The Clone Wars.

Which, looking back 4-6 was great for me when it came out, when I was in 7th grade. As an adult if I remove the haze of found memories, it is really not much better than 1-3. (Ewoks anyone?)

I still think the original movies were better all around. They had better casting, a better story, and they just seemed much more original. I mean the first love story I ever understood was Han Solo and Princess Leia, and I was 5 or 6 the first time I saw Star Wars. I had zero connection between Amidala and Anakin, and I was in my mid 20s then. Hayden Christiansen was just a snooze, but really there was no other person who was somewhat recognizable and an okay actor who could play someone in a leading role at that time. Heath Ledger or Orlando Bloom would've had better chemistry, but we're tied up with other things. And the whole thing with starting with Anakin as a 7 yr. old made no sense to me; why not do 11 to 14 and have one actor play him the entire time?

Oh, and as a 7 yr. old I really liked the Ewoks, as did my brother who was 4 at the time, but DH who was 10 when Jedi came out didn't care for them at all.

liamsmom
01-01-2012, 01:22 PM
George Lucas said in an interview (Daily Show I think?) that kids who grew up with 1-3 prefer those movies than the original ones and even younger kids like the Clone Wars the most. I can attest to this as I literally got into an argument with my teen and tween cousins last year. They actually said they prefer Anakin to Luke. My indignant cries that Anakin chose the Dark Side (and thus made the wrong choice) and killed many (millions if you include the entire PLANET of Alderon) people. They just didn't get it. :52:

I'd also start with the original movies. And when my DS is old enough to watch Star Wars, not only will I show him the originals first, I won't spoil the Vader-Luke scene, which for reasons I still don't agree with, my mother did to me.

Cam&Clay
01-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I had DS1 start with 4-6 because the movies are better, that's the way I saw them, and they are not as violent as 1-3.

I wouldn't want to watch them in numerical order. It would ruin the whole mystery of Darth Vader and Luke and Leia.

I made him wait until he was around 9 for episode 3 because it was so violent.

Penny's Pappa
01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I do not understand....

Why not 1-3?????

By "1-3" I mean the members of the prequel trilogy, Episodes 1-3, the newest movies released from 1999 on. Episodes 4-6 comprise the "original trilogy" released from 1977 onward and are probably the movies you saw originally.

In chronological order of release:
Episode 4: A New Hope (before the new trilogy, this was known simply as "Star Wars."
Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 6: Return of the Jedi
Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

IMO, and I think this is shared by many a Star Wars fan (not that I'm a HUGE SW fan, but I like and appreciate the series), the original trilogy is a sci-fi masterpiece...well maybe less so for Return of the Jedi (f'in Ewoks), but definitely for Star Wars and Empire. It's a classic battle of good versus evil, a David versus Goliath story set in space. Although the writing and the acting is at times cheesy and campy, on the whole it's an engaging story with enduring characters you end up caring about. You want the Rebels to win. You want to see Luke get the girl (at first, but then ick!). You wish you were Han Solo (or Princess Leia, ladies ;) ). And, eventually, you hope to see Vader redeem himself.

The prequel trilogy, OTOH, is a convoluted mess of cinematic garbage. It begins with, of all things, a trade dispute. From there the story is mostly driven by political maneuvers that Palpatine makes to weasel his way to the head of the Republic. Not saying those kinds of plotlines can't make for good stories, but they're overly complex and George Lucas just isn't that good of a writer. But perhaps the most disappointing part of it all is that the story of Anakin Skywalker is so utterly transparent and cliche that it lacks any dramatic punch whatsoever. We did not see the growth of Anakin into the evil Darth Vader. What we saw was a whiny, little spoiled brat who turned to the Dark Side partly because the Jedi Council wouldn't let him play with the big kids. Waaaaahhhhh!!! I just can't see myself fearing that version of Vader nor can I see how that version evolves into the one we see in the original trilogy.

Oh, and don't even get me started on Jar Jar Binks or midichlorians!

Well crap. I think maybe I'm a bigger Star Wars fan than I thought!! :innocent:

ellies mom
01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
IMO, and I think this is shared by many a Star Wars fan (not that I'm a HUGE SW fan, but I like and appreciate the series), the original trilogy is a sci-fi masterpiece...well maybe less so for Return of the Jedi (f'in Ewoks), but definitely for Star Wars and Empire.

Oh I loved the Ewoks but in my defense, I was a pre-teen girl. I even had the trading cards. The husband and I watched Return of the Jedi the other day and I still think the Ewoks are as cute as anything even if the whole idea is ridiculous.

But perhaps the most disappointing part of it all is that the story of Anakin Skywalker is so utterly transparent and cliche that it lacks any dramatic punch whatsoever. We did not see the growth of Anakin into the evil Darth Vader. What we saw was a whiny, little spoiled brat who turned to the Dark Side partly because the Jedi Council wouldn't let him play with the big kids. Waaaaahhhhh!!! I just can't see myself fearing that version of Vader nor can I see how that version evolves into the one we see in the original trilogy.

This is the same complaint my husband and I have about Anakin. He is so whiny! It is downright painful to watch. I think your comment that he "couldn't play with the big kids" was dead on. I'll have to tell my husband that.

Well crap. I think maybe I'm a bigger Star Wars fan than I thought!! :innocent:
My husband is a much bigger fan than I am. I will sit through the occasional Clone Wars episode with him but I mostly pay just enough attention to be able to have a somewhat knowledgeable conversation with him. He's hoping one of the girls will become his "Star Wars Buddy" but I think they are both leaning toward Dr. Who.

wellyes
01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
But perhaps the most disappointing part of it all is that the story of Anakin Skywalker is so utterly transparent and cliche that it lacks any dramatic punch whatsoever. We did not see the growth of Anakin into the evil Darth Vader. What we saw was a whiny, little spoiled brat who turned to the Dark Side partly because the Jedi Council wouldn't let him play with the big kids. Waaaaahhhhh!!! I just can't see myself fearing that version of Vader nor can I see how that version evolves into the one we see in the original trilogy.
I agree with this. Plus, the bit where he finds his mother tortured to death was disturbing. And the concluding duel between Obi Wan and Anakin was so gruesome. The scary parts of 4-6 are mostly variations on "monsters that want to eat you". The fate of Luke's aunt and uncle in Episode 4 gave me nightmares as a kid - but it seems quaint and innocent in comparison to the nastiest bits of the newer triology.

wimama
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Definitely start with 4. My DS wanted to see them all, but he is only 5. We started with 4 -6 then did 1, 2 and the first part of 3. DH thought the second part of 3 was a bit dark for a 5 year old.

Ceepa
01-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Start with 4-6, let it sink in, give them a chance to grow an affection for it. Sidestep 1-3 for as long as humanly possible. It's terrible movie-making all around.

dogmom
01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
George Lucas said in an interview (Daily Show I think?) that kids who grew up with 1-3 prefer those movies than the original ones and even younger kids like the Clone Wars the most. I can attest to this as I literally got into an argument with my teen and tween cousins last year. They actually said they prefer Anakin to Luke. My indignant cries that Anakin chose the Dark Side (and thus made the wrong choice) and killed many (millions if you include the entire PLANET of Alderon) people. They just didn't get it.

Although I agree Anakin is 2 & 3 is too whiney, I did turn to my husband and say, "Oh, that's where Luke gets if from..." Whine...Uncle OWEEENNNN....I'll never get off this planet...whine...whine...whine. And I loved Luke, but whiney.

The prequel trilogy, OTOH, is a convoluted mess of cinematic garbage. It begins with, of all things, a trade dispute. From there the story is mostly driven by political maneuvers that Palpatine makes to weasel his way to the head of the Republic. Not saying those kinds of plotlines can't make for good stories, but they're overly complex and George Lucas just isn't that good of a writer. But perhaps the most disappointing part of it all is that the story of Anakin Skywalker is so utterly transparent and cliche that it lacks any dramatic punch whatsoever. We did not see the growth of Anakin into the evil Darth Vader. What we saw was a whiny, little spoiled brat who turned to the Dark Side partly because the Jedi Council wouldn't let him play with the big kids. Waaaaahhhhh!!! I just can't see myself fearing that version of Vader nor can I see how that version evolves into the one we see in the original trilogy.

Yes, I agree, 1-3 completely tests the limits of George Lucas's writing, and he fails. (OK, anyone else out there thinks he has Apergers????) But, I find whole Anakin becoming evil to protect what he loved, and then tried to kill her actually a pretty interesting character arch, just done badly. There is the insinuation he has no father and being some force baby. (am I messing that up? or do they say it implicitly?) Force baby my behind, his Mother was slave, how do you think she got pregnant? Would love to see the first 3 done by someone who could get to the potential in the story.

But here's the thing for my son. Grievous is so cool. The Jedi's kick more butt. And the space battles are just better. And I'm sorry, I have a soft spot for the clones since we watched the Clone War series. (Yeah, there is another ethical issue George just ignored.)
I still maintain the first 3 (4-6) just aren't as good as we think. I mean, for crying out loud, they had to blow up the Death Star II, some originality.

And, am I the only one that was an adult when 6 came out?

Penny's Pappa
01-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Although I agree Anakin is 2 & 3 is too whiney, I did turn to my husband and say, "Oh, that's where Luke gets if from..." Whine...Uncle OWEEENNNN....I'll never get off this planet...whine...whine...whine. And I loved Luke, but whiney.

I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

But, I find whole Anakin becoming evil to protect what he loved, and then tried to kill her actually a pretty interesting character arch, just done badly. There is the insinuation he has no father and being some force baby. (am I messing that up? or do they say it implicitly?) Force baby my behind, his Mother was slave, how do you think she got pregnant? Would love to see the first 3 done by someone who could get to the potential in the story.

I guess for me it's tough to get behind that arch because I can't buy into their relationship in the first place. I simply can't get around Anakin being around 7 years old when they first meet. It doesn't make any sense that she would become romantically involved with him (it would have been more believable if they had started out when he was older...plus we wouldn't have had to deal with Jake Lloyd's horrible acting). But even if I ignore that, the relationship had absolutely no chemistry and once again serves to highlight Anakin as little more than a whiner.

I want to be with Padme!
Why can't I be with Padme?
The evil Jedi won't let me be with Padme!

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!:crying::paci:

And yes, it was strongly implied that Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians. What utter rubbish. The whole concept of midichlorians cheapens the mystique surrounding The Force.

But here's the thing for my son. Grievous is so cool. The Jedi's kick more butt. And the space battles are just better. And I'm sorry, I have a soft spot for the clones since we watched the Clone War series. (Yeah, there is another ethical issue George just ignored.)
I still maintain the first 3 (4-6) just aren't as good as we think. I mean, for crying out loud, they had to blow up the Death Star II, some originality.

And, am I the only one that was an adult when 6 came out?

I can totally see why kids get behind these movies and if I were a kid, I'd probably think Grievous was kinda cool too. I mean the guy has 4 lightsabers!! There's much more action in the new films and the special effects are much better. They are much more action driven than their earlier counterparts which rely heavily on drama.

But, I have to strongly disagree that the space battles were "better." They were prettier and bigger for sure, but not better. There was no tension. There was never any sense that the good guys might lose or that there was anything really riding on the outcome of the battles. OTOH, while it's light years behind the new movies (ha!) in terms of special effects, the trench battle in New Hope is intense. The feeling of desperation is palpable and when Luke nails his shot and breathes his sigh of relief, so do we. Aside from perhaps the climactic battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan that's completely missing from the prequels.

crl
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM

:yeahthat:

Catherine