PDA

View Full Version : Bible reading accountability thread?

Melaine
01-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Anyone interested in reading through the Bible in a year starting today?:love-retry:

Apparently this App (http://www.youversion.com/mobile/iphone) has a schedule, if not you can find them free online. Different schedules are arranged differently, some read straight through and others read a little from the OT, a little from Psalms/Proverbs, and a little from the NT. On one hand, it's nice to read chronologically because it gives you a good overview, on the other hand I did like the other way because you get a taste of everything and none of your readings are strictly chronological accounts or anything. If people are interested, I think it would be cool to pick the same schedule so we could discuss the content (obviously every day might not be realistic, but weekly or whatever).

Anyone up for it?

AngelaS
01-01-2012, 11:02 AM
I should. It's been a few years since I read thru the whole thing. :)

infomama
01-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Im in. Downloaded that app for my Droid a while back. I'm thinking chronologically would be best for me as I have never read the Bible cover to cover before.

KpbS
01-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I need to--I'll look for the ap.

ETA I already have the ap :bag and use it but didn't know about the reading plans. Cool :)

Melaine
01-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I need to--I'll look for the ap.

ETA I already have the ap :bag and use it but didn't know about the reading plans. Cool :)

:rotflmao: I am pretty sure I already had it too. I am bad about getting free apps then never going back to figure out what they can do.

spanannie
01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I read the entire Bible in 90 days with a group this past summer. I highly recommend this program and you can find an IRL or on-line group through their website. I've seen people doing the program on blogs.

http://www.biblein90days.org/

DietCokeLover
01-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Count me in. Off to find the app.

Melaine
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I read the entire Bible in 90 days with a group this past summer. I highly recommend this program and you can find an IRL or on-line group through their website. I've seen people doing the program on blogs.

http://www.biblein90days.org/

I've done that one too, but I'm not ready to commit to that fast of a pace this time. I agree it's great because you really get the big picture and move quickly enough that you don't forget....definitely a good one to try!

crayonblue
01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Yes! I started the read through in 90 days this year and made it through Numbers and came to a screeching halt. I would LOVE the accountability!

Which youversion schedule are thinking of doing?

Pilotbaby
01-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I would be interested in doing this with you ladies!

MZS V
01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Me too! I've never made it past Numbers either!

MommyAllison
01-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Me! I only made it through August in the one year Bible last year, and it's been a couple years since I've made it through. Time for a fresh start. :)

linsei
01-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I would! I started the chronological program on youversion last year, but only did it for about 3 months. Really need to actually do it this year.

fedoragirl
01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd love to join but I don't have a phone that can use an app. In other words, it's an old phone. Can I still join? I really need to read and would love the accountability.

DietCokeLover
01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Anyone else having trouble with the app? It won't let me sign in/ up.

Puddy73
01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I'd love to join but I don't have a phone that can use an app. In other words, it's an old phone. Can I still join? I really need to read and would love the accountability.

Does your church offer copies of the "Daily Bread" devotionals? They include a one year program. This site also has a one year plan that you can subscribe to via email:

http://www.ourdailyjourney.org/

Melaine
01-01-2012, 08:45 PM

yes! we can either link to the list somehow or if not I can type out the schedule week by week.....we will hook you up!

Melaine
01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Anyone else having trouble with the app? It won't let me sign in/ up.

Hmmm it worked for me just now. I don't know....

Should we do the canonical way of reading through? There are so many options!! Any of them would probably be fine with me....we just have to pick.

Melaine
01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
This one has 6 days a week of reading with a day for catch up....

"A six day per week reading plan designed for you to read 3 chapters of Old Testament and 1 chapter of New Testament daily with one day each week for catch up. Helping you come drink and live from God's word." That's the Come Drink Live 365

Kind of like the idea of a day for catching up!!!

Pilotbaby
01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Which app are we going with? Is it the one suggested by Melaine in the first post?

Melaine
01-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Which app are we going with? Is it the one suggested by Melaine in the first post?

If we are just going to read straight through...it probably doesn't matter because it will be about the same schedule I would think...the app looks great though and it lets you switch SO easily to different translations.

If we want to read straight through looks like "canonical" is the way to go. january 1st says Gen 1-3.

DietCokeLover
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I like the catch up day.

linsei
01-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Fedoragirl,

If you do not have access to the app and are interested, I have a January calendar page in .pdf form that I could send you. I can't figure out how to put it in a pdf or post it on the board. It is chronological, but I have not compared it to the youversion chronological plan.

eta: it has Sunday as a "catch up day"

fedoragirl
01-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks. I'd be very glad to get that calendar and follow with you all.

dec756
01-02-2012, 09:00 AM
i second the calendar as well! a pm or whatevere would be awesome thanks!~

Melaine
01-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Here is one that seems to go straight through: http://www.bible.com/readinayear.php#

The schedule on the "app" with a catchup day isn't chronological it's OT, Ps.Pr., NT. Sounded like people want to read straight through from beginning to end? That would be canonical so I went ahead and started reading that last night.

AngelaS
01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I found this one too. http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/january.asp?version=51&startmmdd=0101. This was the format I used the last time I read the whole thing. :)

athompson
01-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm in and will be reading the paper version.

daisymommy
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I really need to do this again...just scared I'll fall off the wagon once the baby arrives!
Thinking about it...
And even though it jumps around a bit, I always thought the chronological method was very eye-opening, and made much more sense out the Bible when I was done.

almostamom
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm interested in joining you all on this.

Linda

ha98ed14
01-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Me too! I've never made it past Numbers either!

Is this part the "SoAndSo begot SoAndSo begot SoAndSo..." part? You can see how long it has been since I cracked a bible...

justlearning
01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks, OP, for starting this thread. I used that app to start the chronological order plan last night so I'm in! :)

linsei
01-02-2012, 02:40 PM
fedoragirl, dec756, athompson...

sent you a pm

wolverine2
01-02-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm in too... A day late. Doing the chronological plan... I always wanted to do it that way.

fedoragirl
01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Thank you. Got it. I have to already catch up on two days reading. Arrggh!

vonfirmath
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Is this part the "SoAndSo begot SoAndSo begot SoAndSo..." part? You can see how long it has been since I cracked a bible...

There can be some really fascinating information in the begats.
Numbers starts out with the numbering of the tribes of Israel, and talked about houses and stuff and children and numbers, how the camp was arranged, etc. A lot of logistics stuff.

Melaine
01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
So how is it going for everyone? I really like the app! I would like to add some memory verses and work on those throughout the day along with the girls.

clc053103
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I am in. I was going to join a "walk thru the Bible" group but hate another weeknight out of the house! I have the app and will follow whatever schedule works for the group.

Eta: appears the majority going chronological order? That is what I will follow on the app.

Percycat
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Here is one that seems to go straight through: http://www.bible.com/readinayear.php#

The schedule on the "app" with a catchup day isn't chronological it's OT, Ps.Pr., NT. Sounded like people want to read straight through from beginning to end? That would be canonical so I went ahead and started reading that last night.

I just saw this thread today and will join you all. I plan to catch up this weekend. Thanks for providing the link to Bible.com. It will make it super easy to read during my lunch.

Angela