PDA

View Full Version : Dropping landline options?

wolverine2
01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm getting an iphone for my birthday, and am thinking about how to drop the landline to save money and make up for the data plan I'll now have to buy. My only reason to have the landline, really, is that DS knows how to dial 911 and the phone is always in one place (unlike my cell phone, which may be hard to find). We also use it to call overseas, but are ok using calling cards for that in the future. We have the cheapest landline plan (like $12.99 through Verizon- which ends up being closer to $20 w/ tax). Wondering about the following options:

1- Adding a $9.99/mo line and just keeping that cell phone in one place as if it were a regular phone. Or with tax, would that be just as much as my landline is now?
2- Some kind of VOIP handset. Is there any free option?
3- Just keep my landline.

I heard I can port my landline to google voice- is that true? Would probably want to do that, so need something that would integrate with GV.

Thanks!

kbud
01-01-2012, 11:38 AM
We have Ooma VOIP. We've had it for several years now and love it. Call quality is better than our traditional landline. I've called 911 several times and they have our address. I'd say its only gone out maybe 2 times in the past 3 years. Once you buy the equipment it is free for the basic service, which includes, VM and caller ID. We love it and it gets great reviews.

http://www.ooma.com/

The equipment has changed since we first got it. I think it is about $200, but I've seen deals on slick deals for less.

Here's an article about it. It says there are charges of $11-$36 a year but we aren't charged any of those, maybe because we are on an older plan, not sure.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/ooma-named-best-home-phone-service-consumer-report/nCR3Y/

wolverine2
01-01-2012, 12:05 PM
We share our wifi with our upstairs neighbors- they have the modem/router up there. We would need to get one on our floor to get Ooma, right? Just want to factor that into the cost...

kbud
01-01-2012, 12:14 PM
I believe so. I'm not the techie one, DH is but I know our main ooma hub is by our modem and router.

You know you can get 2 numbers and lines with Ooma, with the upgarded package. Not sure if it would work for you to go together with your neighbor and both get a line out of it. I don't know enough about the wiring though if that would work. Just a thought.

I think all of your cheap landline options will require internet as most if not all are voip.

wolverine2
01-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I believe so. I'm not the techie one, DH is but I know our main ooma hub is by our modem and router.

You know you can get 2 numbers and lines with Ooma, with the upgarded package. Not sure if it would work for you to go together with your neighbor and both get a line out of it. I don't know enough about the wiring though if that would work. Just a thought.

I think all of your cheap landline options will require internet as most if not all are voip.

It would be fine for us to just add a router downstairs, but does it need to be plugged into the modem? Or could we plug it in upstairs but have the handset downstairs? Neighbors wouldn't want a line- they have Comcast home line and that gets a cheaper rate on the wifi (but they wouldn't mind if we needed to plug something in upstairs).

cntrymoon2
01-01-2012, 04:16 PM
We just got an Ooma a couple months ago after a HORRIBLE year with Skype, using a Skype phone. Ooma is wonderful so far, and we bought it from Costco so if we have problems, I won't hesitate to return it.

jenstring95
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
I believe you could use an old cell phone (charged, but without a service plan) to call 911 (so you could leave that one in a designated spot). However, I'm not sure if they could track the call that way, and I would verify with your local police department to make sure that it would definitely work to dial. (Obviously you don't want to call 911 to find out.)

tabegle
01-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I use a majicjack. I have it hooked up to my computer and leave my puter on all the time anyway. It was $40 for the equipment and the 1st year of service. I think they sell something now that doesn't require a computer.

I bought mine at walmart so I could return it if it didn't work out for us. It works great for me, especially when I work from home and need to be on conference calls. I don't use up my cell minutes.

http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/ The website does look gimicky, but since I could (and did) buy it at walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/MagicJack-USB-Voice-over-IP-Yearly-Telephone-Service-for-19.95/11962556), I felt good about the return factor.

If I could do it again, I'd get the one that doesn't require a computer. FWIW, I use a DECT phone system.

wolverine2
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't want anything to be hooked up to the computer... all we have is a laptop and it's all over the house.

The old cell phone idea is interesting... anyone know for sure if that works?

What do you all without landlines do about emergencies?

kbud
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
The Ooma site says it must have a wired connection to the internet for the basic set up. Here's a page about how to set up if that won't work.

http://www.ooma.com/app/support/can-i-use-homeplugs-my-ooma-setup

wellyes
01-01-2012, 10:15 PM
We have ooma and are pleased with it. But it does have to be wired.

Have you looked into a cable phone? Most cable packages here are TV+Internet for $80 or TV+Internet+phone for $90 (give or take). It's always about $10 more to have a landline with the cable provider.

The old cellphone thing theoretically works. It's an FCC regulation. But I don't want to test it (plus, testing is technically a crime).

twowhat?
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
That's the exact reason we kept our landline phone - you want your kids to be able to call 911 and them to be able to immediate track the call and know exactly where your house is. Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if you can buy some skeleton landline phone service JUST for 911? Anyone know? Right now we are just paying for the cheapest possible plan...

And yes, if you call 911 from a cell phone, you will have to give them your location, and they will have to transfer you to the correct city's call center.. BTDT. IMO it wastes precious time because when you first call 911, your instinct is to immediately start rattling off what your emergency is and the operator will try multiple times to stop you to ask "what city are you calling from??". And then you have to get your head on straight enough to tell them what city you're in. Then when they get you transferred, you have to REPEAT what your emergency is, and then on top of that you have to give exact location (address or intersection or whatever). It's a lot to ask of an adult who is in a panic, much less a child. I've called 911 3 times, all on cell phones, and I STILL have the same reaction each time - just start spouting my emergency to the operator only to have them try repeatedly to stop me to tell them which city, then transfer, then have to repeat the emergency all over again to the next operator...and I believe each time the operator has actually said FIRST: "What city are you calling from?" But that doesn't register when you're in a panic to get police or ambulance out.

kbud
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Have you looked into a cable phone? Most cable packages here are TV+Internet for $80 or TV+Internet+phone for $90 (give or take). It's always about $10 more to have a landline with the cable provider.

The old cellphone thing theoretically works. It's an FCC regulation. But I don't want to test it (plus, testing is technically a crime).

Whenever I have called 911 on my cell they don't know my location. In fact, once I was transferred 2 times to try and find the correct department to respond.

You can call and test. You just have to call the dispatch non-emergency number and ask them first if it's a good time for a test 911 call. If they aren't busy they'll say yes and then you call 911.

LexyLou
01-02-2012, 12:31 AM
i've been thinking of the Ooma too. We just got out of the two year contract with AT&T/DirecTV. This might be a good time to switch.

LexyLou
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Ooma question: Can you have multiple phones while using the Ooma or is it only one phone?

Looking online it looks like you can only have it attached to one phone. We have 3 phones although it's one of those expandable systems where there is only one plugged into the jack.

kbud
01-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Ooma question: Can you have multiple phones while using the Ooma or is it only one phone?

Looking online it looks like you can only have it attached to one phone. We have 3 phones although it's one of those expandable systems where there is only one plugged into the jack.

Yes, you can have more than one phone. I don't remember the details but you can have a phone plugged into the hub and one into the scout. This is how we have it but it's the old equipment so it could be different. We also you use an expandable system too. I believe you can also send it to all the phone jacks in your house making them all live to just plug a phone in. I'm pretty sure we did that but I'm not certain as it's been so long since we set it up. It is not compatible with home alarms. I've not had much luck faxing but no biggy. It does seem to work with our gate to our community to buzz people in though.

mommy111
01-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Another cheap option is the Obi-100. I guess its similar to the ooma, goes through google voice, the initial cost for us was around $80 but free through google voice after that. Its our only home phone buts its been OK so far. Now, we do have it wired connected to the router though

cntrymoon2
01-02-2012, 04:35 AM
You don't have to plug it directly into the computer. Our Ooma is plugged into the router, because I use a laptop, also. You can have multiple phones. I bought a $40 cordless set with 4 handsets at Costco. It works just like a regular phone- put one base in each room. The main base with the answering machine sits by the Ooma and the router.

wolverine2
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Another cheap option is the Obi-100. I guess its similar to the ooma, goes through google voice, the initial cost for us was around $80 but free through google voice after that. Its our only home phone buts its been OK so far. Now, we do have it wired connected to the router though

How hard to set up is this? No additional or yearly fees? Looks cheaper than Ooma...

Sorry for my ignorance, but if we add a router downstairs but the modem is upstairs, can we plug any VOIp device into the downstairs router?

If you have a VOIP does it automatically tell your location for 911?

Or we may just keep what we have...

wolverine2
01-02-2012, 10:34 AM

We don't have cable (and don't want it), so that would cost us a lot more.

LexyLou
01-02-2012, 12:45 PM
It does seem to work with our gate to our community to buzz people in though.

I didn't even think about this! We also have to buzz people in if they come in through the back gate! Yikes! Glad you mentioned it and glad it works. That would have been bad!

kbud
01-02-2012, 12:58 PM
911 has always known my address w/our Ooma line. when you set it up you tell them your address and they associate it with the number for 911. I can't speak for other VOIP services.

I haven't heard of the other carrier the pp mentioned. I would of caution though about using newer or less know carriers. We had sunrocket years ago and they went out of business suddenly. We instantly had no phone service and no why to port our number since the company no longer existed to port it. It could happen to Ooma too so that is a risk but Ooma's been around awhile is very reputable.

roobee
01-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I recently dropped my landline and wired internet and got a prepaid cellphone and wireless internet.

I bought a $25 t-mobile cellphone from Target and loaded it with $10 worth of airtime (you only need to top up with $10 every 90 days to keep the account active, so approx $40 per year for this phone). The phone sits on a shelf so my DD can use it in an emergency. I ported my home phone number to the t-mobile line since it was important to DH to keep our existing phone number.

I've called 911 a couple different times from my cell phone and I'm always immediately connected to my local dispatch - no transferring necessary.

I have unlimited wireless internet through Clear for $50 per month and I've been pretty happy with it. I use it with my laptop and my tablet, and I also use it for streaming to our Roku - it supports up to 8 devices at once.

Google voice would be a good option for you for your long distance calls, you can only use google voice with a cell phone.

KpbS
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
My sister just mentioned after dropping her land line service, she is still able to call 911 by leaving her land line phone intact. When you lift the receiver, a recording lets you know that you may not place a call unless you are dialing 911. I am considering dropping mine as well and just using cell service.

ha98ed14
01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
My sister just mentioned after dropping her land line service, she is still able to call 911 by leaving her land line phone intact. When you lift the receiver, a recording lets you know that you may not place a call unless you are dialing 911. I am considering dropping mine as well and just using cell service.

NOW that is the way to go! If the line is intact, then 911 has got to know where you are calling from. Now the question is how to get them to give you an intact phone line without starting up full service... We've never had a phone installed here, so I have no idea if our line works.

wolverine2
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM

If that is true, that is fantastic! That would be what I want, then I would port our home number to google voice (if I can do that with a home number), and have it ring on my cell phone number- the only people who call our home number are usually asking for money so we always screen the calls, which google voice would be great for.

The only thing left would be to figure out how to best call overseas. Can we use google voice for that on a cell phone? I've used it from our laptop before- maybe we would just get a headset. I don't want to use up our cell phone minutes.

georgiegirl
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
We use Skype to call overseas. He uses his cell with prepaid cards to call his parents who do not have a computer at their apartment.