PDA

View Full Version : Droid users? iphone users that have a PC?

maestramommy
01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
So tomorrow Dh has the day off and we are going to spend the afternoon windowshopping. Cars, but probably smartphones as well. Dh is interested in the Droid. If you have one, like it? Love it? Why? We have been talking about how a smartphone would replace my need for PDA + Cellphone. I currently sync up my PDA to my laptop. Does a smartphone do that too? (see how out of touch we are?) The one thing I would really dread is having to move all the data in my Clie files onto a phone. Does this involve a LOT of typing? Cutting and pasting? Or is there some magic way to import all of my stuff (or at least the phone numbers and addresses) from the Clie database in my desktop onto a Droid?

Now just in the interest of remaining open minded there is a Small Dog in our mall so we could look at the iphone. But we don't have macs. Will an iphone play nice with a PC laptop? I am asking because I have an ipod Nano (4th or 5th gen, the one with the video camera), and in the 6 months that we've really been using it, it has been a huge pain in the butt. Constantly losing all my music, videos whenever I am recharging. We think it might be because my computer powers down while charging, interrupting the process and causing the lost data. But WHY is it so freakin' finicky? I told Dh if owning an iphone was anything like this there was no.way.in.hell. I was going to consider it.

ellies mom
01-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Both the Droid and iPhone play well with the PC. I have an iPhone and the husband has a Droid X and we have no problems. Our calenders are synced with our PCs and each other. It really comes down to personal preference. For example, my husband prefers the larger size of his Droid while I found it too big and prefer the smaller iPhone.

elephantmeg
01-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a droid x. I use google calendar and it syncs fairly well with that. I also use evernote on it that syncs with a computer.

love my droid :)

no idea about clie

Penny's Pappa
01-01-2012, 10:32 PM
So tomorrow Dh has the day off and we are going to spend the afternoon windowshopping. Cars, but probably smartphones as well. Dh is interested in the Droid. If you have one, like it? Love it? Why? We have been talking about how a smartphone would replace my need for PDA + Cellphone. I currently sync up my PDA to my laptop. Does a smartphone do that too? (see how out of touch we are?)

I have an iPhone and I use PCs.

Most of the syncing happens between the smartphone and some online service. My calendar, for instance, is synced up to my Google Calendar and my work's MS Exchange server, so I get all that information on my phone and on my PC's. The sync is automatic, I don't have to hook up to my PC to transfer that data.

The one thing I would really dread is having to move all the data in my Clie files onto a phone. Does this involve a LOT of typing? Cutting and pasting? Or is there some magic way to import all of my stuff (or at least the phone numbers and addresses) from the Clie database in my desktop onto a Droid?

I don't even know what a Clie file is so I can't help you there!

Now just in the interest of remaining open minded there is a Small Dog in our mall so we could look at the iphone. But we don't have macs. Will an iphone play nice with a PC laptop? I am asking because I have an ipod Nano (4th or 5th gen, the one with the video camera), and in the 6 months that we've really been using it, it has been a huge pain in the butt. Constantly losing all my music, videos whenever I am recharging. We think it might be because my computer powers down while charging, interrupting the process and causing the lost data. But WHY is it so freakin' finicky? I told Dh if owning an iphone was anything like this there was no.way.in.hell. I was going to consider it.

I have never had a problem interfacing my iPhone, or any iDevice for that matter, with a PC. If I'm just charging it, I can plug and unplug it at will with no ill effect. I've even done it during the middle of a sync without any problems, though it's not recommended you do that. It sounds to me like there's probably something else going on with your Nano.

mommy111
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
:yeahthat: to what everyone said. Re the clie file, I would just take your old phone all synced up to the mall. The mall guys can import all the data onto the droid or iPhone. I've had it done twice, once with a droid (ie data transfer from palm to droid) and once with an iPhone. The clie system is easy to extract data from but there are specific instructions you have to follow. my mall/RadioShack person wasn't reading the instructions on the device so I just had to take over from her, follow the instructions on the device that they use to transfer data and it was a breeze.

maestramommy
01-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't even know what a Clie file is so I can't help you there!

I have never had a problem interfacing my iPhone, or any iDevice for that matter, with a PC. If I'm just charging it, I can plug and unplug it at will with no ill effect. I've even done it during the middle of a sync without any problems, though it's not recommended you do that. It sounds to me like there's probably something else going on with your Nano.

Clie is Sony's PDA. Bought it in 03.

Thanks everybody! I think what I will do is take my Nano to the Small Dog to ask them about my problem. I was going to do that anyway after the last wipeout, but dh restarted my laptop, was able to resync. Before that I attempt to resync 4 times without any success. I'm not too happy with my laptop either TBH. I just got it this spring, but there are some quirky things about it that are really annoying. For the rest, looks like we will just have to try them all out. It's funny, the last time we were at Small Dog, we tried every device except the iphone:p