PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 places for girls weekends in the US

cchavez
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
My 5 girlfriends and I are planning a girls weekend some time in the Fall. We are all flying from Texas and have approximately 4 days available (leave Th. night and return Monday) to spend on our weekend. We are researching: San Franscisco/Napa Valley....I am the only real wine drinker in the group....but 2 others do occ. drink wine and the other two don't drink at all. We would probably do 2 days in SF and one trip to wine country. We are also looking into New York City and Chicago. Vegas, New Orleans and Miami are out. What other places/cities should be be looking into?? I also wanted to research a destination spa....would love more suggestions for a fun, girl's weekend! TIA

crl
01-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I have a neighbor who does girls weekends with her friends. They did a spa in Boulder, CO (flew into Denver) and recently did a fairly plush dude ranch in Arizona. I have never done it, but love the idea of Savannah in the Spring.

Catherine

zag95
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Mendocino, CA would be beautiful.....

Or maybe Ojai, CA (I've heard supposed to be nice spa stuff!)

I'll throw one out there:

What about Ashland, OR? There are fun plays, spa things, and it could be pretty fun, esp if you are a non-drinker! There are wineries around as well, for the drinkers!

Nearby Jacksonville, OR has cute antique shops, etc. There is also the Oregon caves, which could be fun. Probably you would need to fly into Medford, OR and rent a car. Would be very pretty in fall!

You could also do Portland- do the Willamette Valley for a wine run (Allison Inn, near Newberg is very swanky and spa like!) As well as tax free shopping in Portland! You could even do one night at the beach (like Cannon Beach) if you wanted- as it's about 1.5 hr drive away)

Maybe a little off the beaten path- but could be fun!

jenmcadams
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I've done Chicago (lots of good restaurants and shopping) and Sedona (nice spas, cool hiking/jeep drives) in the last few years

ZeeBaby
01-01-2012, 10:02 PM
It really depends on what you are looking for. Party-wise I would recommend Vegas, Miami and NYC. I have done all three and they are awesome. You can also get down time and do a spa if you need to as well.

DietCokeLover
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM
My Top 5 would be:

1. Charleston, SC
2. Las Vegas
3. Savannah, GA
4. Destin, FL
5. Atlanta

SnuggleBuggles
01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
My friend and I are planning a trip soon and our candidates are:
-Chicago
-Washington DC
-Vegas
-somewhere in FL (I'd prefer Gulf Coast for sunsets)
-spa

If I lived somewhere where San Francisco and Napa were convenient, I'd pick there. I love it there!
eta- we both did NYC recently and not really looking to go back soon.

tribe pride
01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I vote Charleston if you want warm weather, or New England if you would like to enjoy crisp air, fires in the evening, foliage, etc. Maybe Bar Harbor, Boston, or Providence, or a B&B in a village in Vermont or NH mountains.

carolinamama
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Chicago was the first thing that popped into my head. I did a girls' weekend there last fall and it was lots of fun. Not as crazy busy as NYC but still a fun city with good restaurants, shopping, and activities. I'd also recommend Savannah, Atlanta and Boston. I've done Savannah and Atlanta as girls' trips too and had a great time.

Drag0nflygirl
01-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Charleston!!!! So many things to do. You can shop, tour plantations, visit museums, tour the town, hit the beach, you name it.

sste
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Santa Fe?

Great food, my friend said there is a cool cooking school there you can take a class at, nice walking trails, good shopping, scenic . . .

mommylamb
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I recently had a girls weekend in NYC and it was excellent :D.

But, San Fran/Napa sounds pretty darn awesome to me.

geochick
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
My girlfriends and I would do Vegas.

What about:
http://www.redmountainresort.com/
in southern Utah?

Scottsdale, AZ? Lots of resorts and spas there.

hoodlims
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I live really close to Ojai, CA, and while it is nice for spas and restaurants, it is pretty darn small. Santa Barbara would be better. I love San Francisco but have never been to Napa Valley. I used to live in Chicago and my CA gfs would fly out to visit. We always had a great time. The city has pretty much everything!

lucybabymamma
01-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Just to throw out something different -- what about a short cruise or trip to Mexico?
And, I know you said it's out, but personally you can't go wrong with Vegas, and what about one of the hotels, I think it's called Red Rocks or something like that, that is a little outside of the busy city?
Live in Colorado and went to school in Boulder, so have to agree that there is lots to do there (both outdoorsy, nice spas, good food and all sorts of fun/varied nightlife).
Been to Santa Fe on a girls' trip and there was awesome spas but kind of a more quiet, laid back vibe, if that's what you are looking for....
NYC sounds like a blast, too, though....

nrp
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I vote Santa Fe or the Keys. But I am usually seeking more laid-back fun with girlfriends.

dcmom2b3
01-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Well, it depends on what you want to do, but my top 5 would be:

Santa Fe
Telluride
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Chicago
and anyplace in the Carribean

willow33
01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
What about Canyon Ranch Spa Resort in Lenox, Massachusetts?

http://www.canyonranch.com/lenox/

It's beautiful there in the fall and it is supposed to be one of the best spas in the country. My MIL went and had an amazing time!

kcimato
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Hands down NYC. My girlfriends and I went two years in a row and had a blast. We were up at dawn and didn't come back to the hotel til way after midnight. The second time we stayed at the Bryant Park Hotel which I highly recommend.

mackmama
01-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Canyon Ranch spa
NYC
Vegas

I'd skip Napa if you have 2 non-drinkers.

egoldber
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Chicago is great because there is no need for a rental car once you are there.

Globetrotter
01-04-2012, 03:19 AM
What fun! Some of my personal faves:

- Vancouver - I think this is #1 for me! I've done three girl's weekends there.
- San Francisco - at least once a year since we live nearby!
- Napa (though I don't drink so it wouldn't be fun for me to go with a group of drinkers)
- NYC
- Wash. D.C.
- Miami Beach
- San Diego
- Santa Fe
- Sedona
- Boston
- Charleston
- New Orleans (pre Katrina - don't know how it is now)

elektra
01-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Fun!
I have done girls weekends in Santa Barbara, Vegas, San Diego, Palm Springs, Los Angeles, and most recently NYC. I think Chicago or Napa also sound great , but I have only been to those areas for family vacations.
NYC was a lot of fun but I feel like just a weekend is not enough time! And I felt like since I had a local host/tour guide, it made things much smoother. Without our host it would have been more difficult to make it all work out I think.
If I was planning another girls weekend, I might try for either Chicago or Santa Barbara.