PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers at MY dentist appointment??

Jenn850
01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I chipped a tooth.. and I am going out of town wed... so I need to go to the dentist tomorrow or the next day. Should I make DH come home from work, or brave the dentist with a 3 year old and an 18 month old? Have you done it? Give me strength and/or strategy! I think there is a corner chair that has a door... so maybe possible to at least keep them in the room!

wellyes
01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Don't bring the kids. I've brought mine to OB appointments and physicals, but the dentist is different. You have to be completely still and passive while the dentist looks at, and works on, your mouth. It probably won't take long, but you're basically incapacitated during that time. Can't speak, can't look around. It is worth having your DH take the time off.

MamaMolly
I did a cleaning with a 3 yo. She sat on my belly. I really don't think it is doable with two kids and having to do such detailed, fine work. IMO your DH needs to take the kiddos.

carolinamama
I think I'd get a sitter or have DH watch 2 toddlers. You won't be in any position to help kids or deal with a toddler that is just so tired of sitting in a stroller. You never know how young kids will react in that situation - either amazingly well or heinous. And this is coming from the mom who has taken a kid or 3 to almost every OB, GYN, and GP appointment since I've had them. But I don't chance it at the dentist.

JoyNChrist
01-01-2012, 10:52 PM
The dentist I observe with won't see patients who have children under 5 in the room without another caregiver. At first I thought it was a really restrictive policy, but now I understand it. Dental work requires you to be too still, and the dentist can't really be interrupted multiple times in the middle of procedures.

I would have DH come home or call a sitter. Sorry about the tooth - hope it's an easy fix!

kerridean
01-01-2012, 11:04 PM
PLEASE get a sitter. As a medical health care professional, I am irritated when patients bring young children to their appointments. I cannot devote my full attention to their problem not can I do my job properly (audiologist). Most often the appointment needs to be rescheduled.

Kira's Mommy
01-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I would not do it. I was forced to do it with an 8 month old (sitter cancelled last minute). The appointment was scheduled during her regular nap time and the plan was to have her napping in the stroller while the doctor was working with me.

The plan did NOT go well. She, of course, refused to nap that day. Having her sitting on my stomach helped for 2 minutes max. I had to come back another day.

belovedgandp
01-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I DO take my kids, but only at about 3 and above. At 18 months I wouldn't go near it. No ability to self entertain. By 3 my kids would sit with a book or snack just fine. I've also gone to my dentist since I was 10 so the whole staff knows me. I've taken my kids as infants and the office staff just pass them around. But that middle ground age wouldn't work.

kijip
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Have your husband take off. I will take my older son with me to my quick dental/orthodontist appointments but he is old enough to sit and read and not need anything for a short time. Two under 4 will def need a caregiver!

kellij
01-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I tried to schedule my dental appt when my son (20 months) was at Mother's Day Out. They called to reschedule and it was a couple of months out, so I felt like I had to take it. I couldn't get childcare in the middle of the take and it wasn't a MDO day. I just let them know I'd be bringing him and they said the girls at the front could keep an eye on him. I ended up bringing the lego blocks back to where I was and I had to put him on my stomach several times, but it was fine. The moral of the story is, if you have a choice, I wouldn't take them, but if you don't have a choice you might just call in advance and make sure they are okay with it.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
echoing PP, i would make your DH take the time off or get a friend/sitter to watch the kids. I can't imagine taking my two to any of my appts, unless it was like a really quick, routine visit that would take a few minutes max. I've taken DS to my appts when he under 1yo, and was confined to a stroller, and that was about the max I could personally handle. I would not even attempt a dentist appt with either of my two, much less both of them. The thing is, it's not just during the appt time they have to be still/quiet, it's also the amount spent waiting in the waiting room..you never know, there could be a 20 minute wait before you're seen, and IME that's often where things can go haywire. Also, as someone said, with the dentist you're pretty much incapacitated and can't really do much at all.

Jenn850
01-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Wow. Thanks for the quick replies! I was afraid my hesitations were just weakness... but it sounds like there is no shame that I am not sure how to get DS to sit still! He can be engrossed by a video player, but not for sure like with DD. All I need is for him to jump on me while a drill is going. If I can't talk my aunt into it, poor dh will just have to work from home. Thanks again!!!

Melaine
01-02-2012, 07:57 AM
I agree...if it was just one I'd probably do it and I have taken the girls to the dentist several times since they were 3.5....but I wouldn't do it in your case.