PDA

View Full Version : Affordable area rugs

kaitlyns.mom
01-02-2012, 12:40 AM
We have a ton of floor space and I'm on the hunt for one or two area rugs. Problem is, I have to be super careful with our finances and can't spend $200 or more per rug. Any ideas for affordable options or alternatives? Would you ever buy a used rug from Craigslist?

sntm
01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Ike has decent ones. You can look at Flor floor tiles. We've sold some on craigslist - just make sure they don't have stains or odors that would cost a lot to clean.

gatorsmom
01-02-2012, 01:44 AM
I have one in my kitchen from walmart. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. No one ever guesses it's from Walmart. I also had two that I loved from Lowe's and another that I loved from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I was really happy with how well they blended in and what a nice flair they gave their rooms.

zephyr
01-02-2012, 03:32 AM
I've seen some nice rugs at overstock.com that are fairly reasonably priced.

kozachka
01-02-2012, 05:27 AM
We just got a couple small rugs from Kohl's that are pretty decent. We also have 2 mats for the kitchen from Target. If you need larger rugs, it might be a good idea to check out Ross Dress for Less, Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, ours have a bunch.

LD92599
01-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Also look at local carpet stores for remnants, we've done that several times!

BeachBum
01-02-2012, 08:53 AM
I've had great luck at Overstock.

carolinamama
01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
We have bought from Overstock and are happy with our rugs. I've always seen alot at our local HomeGoods too for good prices. Another option to keep the cost down is to ask about remnants at a local carpet store and if they have any you like, to have them bound.

liz
01-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Also look at local carpet stores for remnants, we've done that several times!

Yes! We have done that for our bedrooms and some living areas. Our entire house has wood flooring (except for bathrooms) so we needed an affordable alternative. We have some lovely quality rugs that were bought for a fraction of the price of decorative rugs sold at stores. Granted, the selection and colors can be limited. Besides buying the remnant, you will need to have the rug bound (stitching for the edges). I had a 14'x11' thick plush rug bound for 200$.

Jo..
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Chiming in with a fourth recommendation for overstock.com. When we bought our area rugs, the same ones were selling for 4-5x more elsewhere.

Mommy_Mea
01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
All of our rugs came from Overstock or Craigslist. On Craigslist, I really only looked for Pottery Barn rugs, figuring I could count on the quality and not go to pick it up and hate it. I got a 5x7 for $150 and a 8x10 for $175, both 100% wool and in near perfect condition.

On Overstock, I most stuck to rugs that had a few reviews, so I could be fairly certain what I was going to end up with. I have been very happy with all the rugs we got, and the most we paid was ~$250 for a 8x11 100% wool rug. That rug was around $350 originally, but Overstock had a rug sale and I had an email coupon, so that brought the price down...

We bought a house with hardwood floors, and we owned no rugs, and were on a tight budget, so I tried to be patient and watch Craigslist and Overstock until I found the right rugs. Good luck!

cvanbrunt
01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Overstock and Tuesday Morning

Babymakes3
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
This site is having a 50% off sale and free shipping with code ENY50

They have several 5x8's that I liked that came to about $120 which I didn't think was too bad!

http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/rugs

brittone2
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Homegoods has some affordable ones. I've seen very large ones for 300 or so, so it depends on what you need. Might be worth a look.

Overstock

CL-my DR rug was 30 bucks on there. It is a wool braided rug, and for 30 dollars if my kids drop food on it and it stains, etc. I don't have to freak out. I have a carpeted DR for now (carpet was there when we bought the house) and the braided rug lays very flat on the carpet, unlike many area rugs.

kaitlyns.mom
01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone! I will check Overstock and see if we have a HomeGoods near our new place. :)

wolverine2
01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I have also bought used rugs on ebay- we have a big, gorgeous Persian rug in our dining room that was in great shape and clean and around $200. There are a number of shops on ebay that specialize in rugs.

brittone2
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
One other thought is more upscale consignment. I know on my local CL there is a reseller who runs a shop out of her house but everything is gorgeous. She only carries higher end pieces and lovely stuff (Henredon, Baker, etc.). I've seen some really great rugs on her site. THere may be something similar in your area?

arivecchi
01-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I bought a huge rug for my basement last January on Amazon for about $140 and it looks great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011VRXO8/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

ETA: At the time this rug was cheaper on amazon than overstock, but I was basically deciding between the two.

janeybwild
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I went to a local carpet store and picked out a remnant that would worked for both area rugs I needed, one round and one rectangle. I paid to have each bound. Total cost $196 for both. Love it.

HIU8
01-02-2012, 09:18 PM
We have mostly hardwoods. The kids have bound remnants for under $100 each (from a local carpet store). The master bedroom has a really nice rug from Home Depot. the living room has one from Lowes (which I love). We splurged on the dining room and bought a $400 oriental rug, but if I had it to do again I would not get the same thing.