PDA

View Full Version : Probiotic help for DH overseas

Cam&Clay
01-02-2012, 11:07 AM
DH is in Afghanistan and has to take an antibiotic daily as an anti-malarial. It's greatly affecting his digestive system, and I just realized that he could possibly benefit from some kind of probiotic. He says there is no yogurt over there. Poor guy is miserable.

I know there are different kinds out there and some of you are very knowledgeable on this subject. The only requirement is that it needs to be something he can order from Amazon. They ship quickly to APO.

HELP!

nfowife
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Culturelle or align? Probably not as powerful as the refrigerated stuff for sure but I would think it would help anyhow. He could double the dose, can't hurt him!

keliahmom
01-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Jarrow Formulas Jarro-dophilus + Eps

This is available on amazon through another vendor. My SIL did a lot of research and recommends this highly.

HTH

baboki
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I order Dr. Ohira's probiotics from Amazon.com. They are not the cheapest, but they work great. I take one daily, but double up when I'm taking antibiotics.

HTH!

Tondi G
01-03-2012, 01:21 AM
he should take one in the morning and one at night before bed. Try to make sure it's either an hour before or 2 hours after eating a meal (I think this is what I remember being told).

mytwosons
01-03-2012, 07:59 AM
check out florastor. Really great and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

amldaley
01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Are you sure they will ship probiotics to an APO? They will ship food and things like books, etc but I tried to order some OTC meds for DH last time and they would not ship them.

I don't have a rec except to say be sure it does not require refridgeration before or after opening. This means you will likely have to get something in a capsule form as the powders and pearls typically require refridgeration.