PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Get Motivated For a Vacation - Update #13

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I feel like I've turned into a wimp since having 2 children. My younger son is 3.5, so it's not even that recent.

How can I motivate myself for a big vacation? DH would really like to visit China this year (he is originally from China). I am just having a hard time getting excited about this. I know we can have fun. But I also know the bathroom situation, pollution, the ridiculously long plane flight, etc... Plus it will be expensive due to air fare, so I'm not sure we will be able to do something else fun later on.

Anyone take an "adventurous" vacation with the entire family? Ok, really "vacation" is probably not the right word. Shall we just go with "trip"? :)

(And, yes, I realize that this is a ridiculous problem to have.)

kerridean
01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I with you. I would not even consider it, quite frankly, unless I had someone to watch the kids and we could go without them.

hellokitty
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow, china is a big trip for anyone, esp little kids. Is there any way you can talk him into waiting? I remember when we would go to taiwan for visits and it would take us almost a wk to adjust to the time change. Why not convince him to do a trip here in the US first to see how the kids do, before doing international travel?

wellyes
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
We bring my MIL on vacation with us (we pay for her) to help with the kids. If you have a family member that's good with the kids and would like to come along, it is absolutely worth the expense. I was actually able to relax on the beach and kick around in the water with DH. She wasn't with us for every little thing, but even just knowing there was someone waiting in the wings to take over childcare when we got home from an outing made the whole thing more relaxing.

If he is from China, does he have family there that could help out, if the kids speak the language?

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-02-2012, 05:32 PM
You all have voiced my fears!

My ILs would go at the same time, which has both good & bad points. :) Last time (5 years ago) we shared a hotel suite so they could help out. Our kids actually really enjoy the ILs, so it might not be so bad. My kids don't speak any Shanghainese or Mandarian really, but might be okay with other relatives anyways.

I've been looking at pictures from past trips to try and help me get enthused, but it's having an opposite effect! I can't believe how adventurous I used to be!

Here's DS1 & I entering the "Thread of Sky". I had no idea what I was in for because the guide didn't speak English and everyone was sick of translating.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/SiValleySteph/China/china12.jpg

ETA: I just read the description of that...

A raft trip down the Nine-bend River is the most popular activity followed by a visit to the "Thread of Sky" caves, where the narrowest walkway is only 30 cm.
That cave was < 1 ft wide! So nuts. I had to carry DS in front of me for us to fit through and my shoulders had to be turned.

hillview
01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
SO fun! Ok I would start reading about the places that would be fun to go. I LOVE planning vacations sorry!

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-02-2012, 08:14 PM
SO fun! Ok I would start reading about the places that would be fun to go. I LOVE planning vacations sorry!

Thank you! I need that actually.

nmosur
01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Does it have to be China?? What's wrong with the a nice beach vacation at a all-inclusive resort with a kids' club :-) That's what I would be planning if I were you.

hillview
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you! I need that actually.
Ok give me an inch and I will take a mile.

I LOVE to travel. I am right now trying to convince DH to go to China for Christmas next year (we have no family reason to go). He has agreed to go in 2013. I think China will be SOOO interesting right now and then you can go again in 5-10 years and compare it since I think it will change so much. While DC won't really remember it kids DO remember that you travel. DS1 LOVES to travel and he is 6 and has been to many countries. He loves to experience different cultures and try languages (both DSs are taking Mandrin this year).

So I say go -- who knows what it will be like in a few years and as long as this isn't a once in a lifetime trip just do it. A few years ago we wanted to go to Egypt and we didn't get it done, now we will be waiting for a while before we'd take the kids.

Ok I will leave you be :)

/hillary

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Does it have to be China?? What's wrong with the a nice beach vacation at a all-inclusive resort with a kids' club :-) That's what I would be planning if I were you.

:) Well, the thought is that we should visit relatives. We haven't visited in 5 years, hence time for a trip.

hillview, I've been looking up unusual places to go and now I'm getting more interested!

Our kids were nuts, though, yesterday when I just took them to the grocery, so I am dreading the long flight and coralling them in a foreign country. :rotflmao:

niccig
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Our kids were nuts, though, yesterday when I just took them to the grocery, so I am dreading the long flight and coralling them in a foreign country. :rotflmao:

I agree with Hillview. Travel is different with little ones, but it doesn't mean it's impossible. I've taken DS on 4x 14+ hour plane trips since he was 1 year old. DS loves to travel and he's a superstar on the plane. On our last trip back to Australia the businessman sitting beside us commented that DS coped better than he did. It does make any domestic travel we do a piece of cake. "DS, it's only a 5 hour red eye flight, so much easier than visiting Granny."

The key is planning for the flight. I find the being there to be the easier part. Give yourself the first couple of days to cope with jet lag. Then go easy on what you what to do - spread out days of outings with days of nothing to rest. Try to not move between too many houses. My sister flies back to Australia from the UK and she stays at my parents and her ILs (20 mins away). Other family are 2-3 hours away and she tells everyone "I just travelled 27 hours to get here, you can travel 2 hours to see me." If they won't travel 2 hours to visit her, she doesn't see them.

SASM
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
China is a VERY long trip for anyone but especially for kids. If you are apprehensive about taking that long of a trip, try somewhere closer to test the waters. I would think that you & your DH would like to ENJOY the trip AND have your DCs actually get something out of the experience, other than possible memories of the "plane ride from h*ll". Jet lag might stay with the kids for a while and whining kids do not make for an enjoyable trip. Sorry. Your 3.5yo will most likely not remember very much either, and for that amount of $, I would probably wait. Now...WDW...that is more doable, cheaper than a trip to China, and hopefully more memorable for everyone. ;) Good luck!!

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Update: We're planning a trip to Hawaii now instead. :p Neither of us were that motivated to travel to China this year. We just want to relax. Maybe next year!