PDA

View Full Version : Hairdryer/Flat iron recommendation

mommy111
01-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I am a complete novice, my last hair dryer was 15 years old and basically blasted out hot air. Now that we've moved and I don't have that any more, we need a new one and I figure if I have a decent one I may occasionally blow dry my hair. I am also looking for a decent flat iron, and as always, on a budget. Are there any that you ladies love and would recommend?
TIA

arivecchi
01-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Babyliss!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PB2XHM/ref=wms_ohs_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ASDGK8/ref=wms_ohs_product

AnnieW625
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I have an older version of the hair dryer that Arivecchi posted and I have had it for almost 7 yrs. and it is used 3 to 5 times per week. If I buy another dryer other than a newer Babyliss I'd go with a Super Solano (as that is what my hair dresser uses and it gets lots of uses each day so it is built well).

My flat iron is an FHI, and it heats up really fast but it fizzles out pretty quickly. I don't use it on a regular basis so it's fine for me, but if I used one on a regular basis I'd go with a CHI, a HAI (my sister has a HAI and uses it on an almost daily basis), a Sedu, or a GHD. Those are the most popular brands.

MelissaTC
01-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I hav a Solia dryer and flat iron. Both are great! I purchased them from folica.com and was happy with them as well.

MizMojoLaveau
01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Another vote for solia flatiron from folica.com

smilequeen
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Everyone recommended the Babyliss to me for a hairdryer too. I can't give my review but the reviews online and here were awesome.

I have a ghd flat iron and I'm really happy with it. It's better than the chi I had before (which was fine, but this is better).

edurnemk
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I have a CHI iron and I love it, not cheap but totally worth it IMO, I've had it for years. My stylist recommend it after I totally ruined my hair with a cheaper one, he said it's the only one that doesn't damage your hair (or was the only one back then), you can even us it on damp hair.

stinkyfeet
01-02-2012, 10:13 PM
I love my Sedu dryer and flat iron! I got them on folica.com. There are a lot of promotions...you just have to wait for a good one. I also like using the Sedu argan oil/heat protectant. Mt hair is naturally dry and frizzy even though it is not chemically processed. Using the oil makes my hair shiny, silky, and smooth when I use my flat iron/curling iron.

Twin Mom
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't have one of these but there have been a couple of other threads on the BBB about it. Most people seem to like it. I have thought about getting one but I am really too lazy to flat iron my extremely curly hair. :ROTFLMAO:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LIXTFC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/190-9588909-9136852

kozachka
01-03-2012, 07:10 AM
I love my Sedu dryer and flat iron! I got them on folica.com. There are a lot of promotions...you just have to wait for a good one. I also like using the Sedu argan oil/heat protectant. Mt hair is naturally dry and frizzy even though it is not chemically processed. Using the oil makes my hair shiny, silky, and smooth when I use my flat iron/curling iron.

:yeahthat: I recently got Sedu dryer set for $99 from Folica.com using a LivingSocial voucher. It was available without oil and mini curling iron for $80 or $90 the day after I redeemed the voucher to Folica VIP members, so I suggest you sign up and take advantage of one of their promotions, which they run regularly for different brands/products. I've had Sedu flat iron for well over a year and paid ~$150-160 for it from Ulta with 20% off coupon, before all the promotions started popping up, and am very pleased with it.

kozachka
01-03-2012, 07:21 AM

:yeahthat: I recently got Sedu dryer set for $99 from Folica.com using a LivingSocial voucher. It was available without oil and mini curling iron for $80 or $90 the day after I redeemed the voucher to Folica VIP members, so I suggest you sign up and take advantage of one of their promotions, which they run regularly for different brands/products. I've had Sedu flat iron for well over a year and paid ~$150-160 for it from Ulta with 20% off coupon, before all the promotions started popping up, and am very pleased with it.

mctlaw
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Like another PP, I have a CHI hairdryer and it is about 7 years old and going strong, though I only use it on average 2-3 times per week. At the time at least it was the gold standard though very pricey and I am relatively sure there are cheaper, excellent options out there today (as posted by others).

I got the Babyliss ceramic 2.5 inch iron for Christmas. I have only used it a couple times so far, but it's working great. I like that the iron covers way more space than many out there that have only 1 inch plates. My hair is a little past shoulder length, medium thick and wavy, and I can do it all in about 7-8 minutes.

TxCat
01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Not cheap, but considering how much I use them, totally worth the price.

I have a HAI flat iron. It's the second one that I've had. The first lasted me about 5 years - I ruined it when my sink flooded and water ended up in the drawer with the iron. Second one I've had about 2 years and it's still going strong.

Hair dryer - my mom just bought me an Elchim for Christmas and I love it so far. My hair has never looked this good. It's the same one that my hairdresser uses, so I know it can stand up to regular abuse.

mommy111
01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
The sedu is kind pricey for me given I don't anticipate being able to use the flatiron frequently...I recently saw a hai on sale at TJM for $30 and was wondering if I should get that. That and the babyliss was $30, the Chi was $40. I am so afraid the flatiron will damage my hair, though, I know I need it and my hair looks so much better with it but I've never used one before and am thinking of getting one because my hairdresser at the salon had some extra time the day after new years which is when I went for a haircut and she showed me how it worked and my hair were transformed after using that thing.
Now the dryer we will use regularly.....

DrSally
01-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Use some sort of thermal protectant product before styling. I bought a Chi at Tjmax and didn't find that it got hot enough. IDk if TjMax carries different versions. I ended up getting a babybliss titanium on Amazon based on a recommendation here. It eas $100 plus though. It's super hot and i love it.

mommy111
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Use some sort of thermal protectant product before styling. I bought a Chi at Tjmax and didn't find that it got hot enough. IDk if TjMax carries different versions. I ended up getting a babybliss titanium on Amazon based on a recommendation here. It eas $100 plus though. It's super hot and i love it.
Wow, so they had the standard babyliss that was referenced upthread for $29 at TJM. Maybe I should think about getting that!

stinkyfeet
01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
The sedu is kind pricey for me given I don't anticipate being able to use the flatiron frequently...I recently saw a hai on sale at TJM for $30 and was wondering if I should get that. That and the babyliss was $30, the Chi was $40. I am so afraid the flatiron will damage my hair, though, I know I need it and my hair looks so much better with it but I've never used one before and am thinking of getting one because my hairdresser at the salon had some extra time the day after new years which is when I went for a haircut and she showed me how it worked and my hair were transformed after using that thing.
Now the dryer we will use regularly.....

I had the hai convertible flat iron too. I think it's 1.25 inches. It worked pretty well. I gave it to my baby sister so I could buy the Sedu flat iron. I think the Sedu dryer, flat iron and oil work best on my hair tho--it's long, course, dry, and wavy. It only takes me 5-10 min to get it super straight and shiny.

If your hair is shoulder length or shorter, the hai or GHD (1 inch iron) would probably work well for you. (I have the GHD iron too, but I prefer using the (1.5 inch iron) now since my hair is so long.

mctlaw
01-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Can someone recommend a not too pricey heat protectant for use w/ an iron? Thanks!

stinkyfeet
01-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Can someone recommend a not too pricey heat protectant for use w/ an iron? Thanks!

A lot of the beauty best buy sections in magazines like tressemee heat protectant. It didn't work well or my hair though bc I felt it left a sticky residue, but apparently a lot of ppl like it. I really like the tressemee dry shampoo though--even more so than the Oscar blandi brand from sephora which costs a lot more.

I hear a lot of ppl like Chi silk infusion too. You can try a small sized bottle for about $10-$15. It sounds like a lot, but you don't need to use a lot of product (just like a drop or two per clipped off section of hair) for the serum style heat protectant, so it will last a long time. My Sedu serum style protectant lasts me over 6 months for the large bottle. Maybe it's jut me, but I find that the "professional hair products like shampoo, conditioner, etc lasts me a lot longer time than OTC products"--maybe bc they are more concentrated?

HTH!

zukeypur
01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Why would I need a newer dryer? What makes one better than another? (seriously, no snark intended) I'm clueless.

mctlaw
01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
A lot of the beauty best buy sections in magazines like tressemee heat protectant. It didn't work well or my hair though bc I felt it left a sticky residue, but apparently a lot of ppl like it. I really like the tressemee dry shampoo though--even more so than the Oscar blandi brand from sephora which costs a lot more.

I hear a lot of ppl like Chi silk infusion too. You can try a small sized bottle for about $10-$15. It sounds like a lot, but you don't need to use a lot of product (just like a drop or two per clipped off section of hair) for the serum style heat protectant, so it will last a long time. My Sedu serum style protectant lasts me over 6 months for the large bottle. Maybe it's jut me, but I find that the "professional hair products like shampoo, conditioner, etc lasts me a lot longer time than OTC products"--maybe bc they are more concentrated?

HTH!

Thanks for the rec!

Why would I need a newer dryer? What makes one better than another? (seriously, no snark intended) I'm clueless.

I'm confused...did someone recommend you replace your current dryer? If so, I can't find the post. OP wanted a new, quality one because she no longer has one.

kozachka
01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I use TREsemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray and am quite pleased with it. It does not weight my hair down, is not greasy and is cheap.

DrSally
01-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I recently tried the frizz ease 3 day straight spray. It almost made mt hair too straight! Phytodefrizzant balm is good too. I have a sample bottle and it lasts forever. I think anything with silicones helps protect with heat styling.

zukeypur
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the rec!

I'm confused...did someone recommend you replace your current dryer? If so, I can't find the post. OP wanted a new, quality one because she no longer has one.

No, just clueless about them. What do you look for? What do you avoid? Mine is 10'yrs old. I'm just wondering what makes a dryer a quality dryer. No snark, just curious. It's on my list of things to try to replace to make my hair healthier and less fragile.

mctlaw
01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I copied this from the CHI website:
All CHI Dryers are Low EMF and made with Ceramic, Ionic, and Far Infrared technology. Ceramic heating technology dries hair up to 40% quicker producing moist heat. Far Infrared is safer for the environment and reduces the level of EMF (Electric Magnetic Fields). Traditional hair dryers contain up to 1500 Microns of EMF that can be dangerous. CHI Dryers produce negative ions which improve moisture and shine in the hair, and reduce frizz and static electricity.

Just picking CHI because it's what I have, I am sure the other recommended dryers use similar technology.

In my personal experience, a good hairdryer does not just blow hot air around and leave my hair a frizzy mess, also, drying time is much faster. HTH!

zukeypur
01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks!!

DrSally
01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Interesting. I have a super old Revlon hairdryer. Maybe i should look into getting a better hairdryer.

stinkyfeet
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM

http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-oils-and-serums/sedu-anti-frizz-polishing-treatment-with-argan-oil

This is the heat protectant/argan oil I use. I just got an email saying that it's on sale (and for a very good price!) the original price is $16 for the 1oz and $37 for the 3.4 oz bottle. It's pretty concentrated so it will last a long time. My hair is long, thick, dry, and frizzy, so it works well for me. But if your hair is thin and oily, it might be too heavy for you.

HTH!

:wavey:

mctlaw
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-oils-and-serums/sedu-anti-frizz-polishing-treatment-with-argan-oil

This is the heat protectant/argan oil I use. I just got an email saying that it's on sale (and for a very good price!) the original price is $16 for the 1oz and $37 for the 3.4 oz bottle. It's pretty concentrated so it will last a long time. My hair is long, thick, dry, and frizzy, so it works well for me. But if your hair is thin and oily, it might be too heavy for you.

HTH!

:wavey:

Thanks! Turns out I actually have a sample size of this stuff! A friend gave it to me so I did not realize it was marketed as a hear protectant. I will try it and then maybe compare the Tresseme recommended by other PP when it runs out.

This makes me wonder though, I currently use argan oil on my face and belly (I'm pg) and I also rub a few drops into my hair (though I stay far away from the roots since I have oily, though not thin, hair). I wonder if this is sufficient as a heat protectant? Any thoughts, anyone?

MelissaTC
01-19-2012, 09:43 AM

I have gotten the generic one at Sally Beauty. Works great on my fine, oily hair.