PDA

View Full Version : small sleep victory

hillview
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
DS2 has been a nightmare to get to sleep/stay asleep. Well I should say he is super easy to get to sleep if you lay down with him but then he wakes up at around 2:30 am and needs a grownup with him for a couple of hours til he is in a deep sleep.

Last night he wanted DH to put him to bed and it was pretty easy to get him to stay in his room and fall asleep solo. He slept til 5:10 am alone.

Tonight DH started and after DS2 determined that DH was not going to stay with him til he fell asleep he asked for me. After some crying and whining and back and forthing, I stayed outside his room (JUST outside) and he fell asleep in 10 mins.

Here is to hoping he stays in his bed all night and that this is over and done in a few more nights!
/hillary

KpbS
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
No small victory at all--that is huge!! Hoping for continued success at your house :cheerleader1:

Indianamom2
01-02-2012, 10:02 PM
That's a major victory! From a previously sleep-deprived and desperate momma to another....WOHOOO!!!:cheerleader1:

crl
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
No sleep victory is small. :bighand:

Catherine

SkyrMommy
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
:applause: That sounds very, very good!! Best wishes for long, sleep filled nights ahead.

Uno-Mom
01-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Huge huge HUGE!! Well done.

elektra
01-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Yay! This gives me hope! So was it that your DS was determined to do it on his own? Or just that he wanted you instead of your DH and you held strong and waited at the door and your DS didn't come out and cling to you?

hillview
01-03-2012, 09:19 AM
So he woke up at 2:30 and DH went to him and then he was up at 5:30 am for the day. Ah well -- small steps. The reason we are doing this is because since he cannot get himself to sleep at bedtime, I think when he wakes up in the middle of the night that he "needs" one of us to help him get back to sleep which means up for an hour or more in his bed with him which is just killer.

Yay! This gives me hope! So was it that your DS was determined to do it on his own? Or just that he wanted you instead of your DH and you held strong and waited at the door and your DS didn't come out and cling to you?

No DS would prefer NOT to do this and have us sleep with him. DS wanted me likely because he thought that I would lay next to him since DH would not. He clinged to me on and off (running from bed to me, me taking him back to his bed etc) for a little while (maybe 8 mins?). So we started with his door closed and me trying to leave -- that clearly didn't work so I said he could leave the door open -- his light is on enough to see clearly but not super bright. I said I'd come check on him in 3 mins and for 3 mins it was almost a discussion -- him: "is it 3 mins yet" me: "no only 30 seconds" etc BUT he did stay in his bed and that way he knew I was very close (he cannot see out his door from his bed so he couldn't see me at all). After 3 mins I went in briefly and said goodnight and that I'd be back in 5 mins. He fell asleep shortly after that.

Sorry for the details but if you are looking to make a plan here is one experience.

It isn't working yet ... I hope if we stick to it for a week it will be a lot easier and the goal is for him to not wake up in the middle of the night and need a parent to put him back to bed.

:)

momm
01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Yay for you!! :)