PDA

View Full Version : Chapter book question

fivi2
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
How do you decide which books to read to dc as chapter books and which to save for them to read on their own?

DDs are 6 and can read easy books. But they just discovered those !@#$ Fairy magic books (Rainbow fairies, Jewel Fairies, etc) and what me to read them to them. So should I save books like those (and Magic Treehouse, and similar) for them to read on their own, or should I read those to them?

Related question - where do you find deals on series like those?

mytwosons
01-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Things they like to read a lot, I have them read on their own. I read aloud more advanced books that they wouldn't pick on their own.

smilequeen
01-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Well, we don't do the Magic Fairy books, but I read Magic Treehouse with DS1 last year and he reads them again alone now. So I think you can read them and they can reread them later if they like them.

brittone2
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I see series like Magic Treehouse at library used book sales and used book stores regularly. (eta: and ITA with the poster below that any public library should have them if you don't want to buy them).

I will read them aloud, but we do a LOT of read alouds so they are balanced by higher level literature. I prefer my kids use them when they start reading on their own, but I don't really veto book requests, so I will read Magic Treehouse if they ask me to(we've never read the Fairies series).

We do a lot of read alouds during the day, and the daytime ones are books of my choosing. The kids always enjoy that time and it is a fun way to expose them to the literature I want them to hear :)

marie
01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
How do you decide which books to read to dc as chapter books and which to save for them to read on their own? Don't have an answer for this - DD1 is a pretty advanced reader and doesn't like us reading to her anymore because she wants to read the entire book and not wait for us to read the next chapter to her.

DDs are 6 and can read easy books. But they just discovered those !@#$ Fairy magic books (Rainbow fairies, Jewel Fairies, etc) and what me to read them to them. So should I save books like those (and Magic Treehouse, and similar) for them to read on their own, or should I read those to them? DH and I can't stand reading the !@#$ Fairy books so DD1 has read them to herself after the first couple that we suffered through. It's a good incentive to practice reading! Of course, DD2 wants them read to her and we usually try to pawn that off onto DD1. :D

Related question - where do you find deals on series like those? Most libraries have a lot of the Magic Treehouse books so we don't buy those. I've found the Fairy books at Once Upon a Child and other second-hand type places. (I think every parent is grateful to get them out of their house! LOL) Scholastic usually has them as well if your school does that.

fivi2
01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have a stack of slightly more difficult chapter books that I would like to read them (and save the annoying ones for them to read alone) but they keep begging for more Fairy books... Their reading is progressing, but they aren't yet able to read those independently. Maybe it will encourage them!

Thanks.