PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Latia (essnce629)! re: Vitorinox Steak Knives

mypa
01-02-2012, 10:32 PM
A big shout out to Latia (essnce629 ) for recommending the Vitorinox steak knives in the other thread. I ordered from Amazon, got them a couple of days ago and just used them now and I cannot believe how great they are! You are right, they are very sharp.

All my life I had no idea I was using such dull knives. I usually have to "saw" my steaks/meats but these Vitorinox ones cut through like butter.

You have made this part of my life easy! Thank you, thank you! My only regret is not getting another set as the price has gone up since I ordered, got mine around $27, it's $35 now.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-48792-Cutlery-6-Piece-Steak/dp/B0009NZ6JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325541251&sr=1-1

Jo..
01-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I have been LOUDLY :love-retry: recommending Victorinox knives for many years. We bought several (chef's paring, cleaver, etc) based on Cook's Illustrated ratings 7 or 8 years ago. I find myself constantly defending them, because they are reasonably priced and have plastic handles, people can't believe how great they are.

I had a BBB-Mom house guest in May (hi Jeana!) :waving4:, and as I was preparing dinner one night, I shoved a cutting board and some veggies in front of her. She said "You need some better knives". Then she started chopping, and she was like "WHOA. These knives are SHARP".

They are excellent. Like any knife, they require regular sharpening (not just honing) to keep them at their best. Depending on how much you cook and how important it is to keep your knives as sharp as possible, this might mean as much as once per week, or just a couple of times per year. We sharpen ours about once every 2-3 months with one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Professional-Sharpening-Station/dp/B000CSG9BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325294287&sr=8-1

I got mine on Kohl's by combing a sale and coupon, and it has paid for itself several times over. This was also a rec from Cook's Illustrated, and it is a splurge worth investing in. ALL Chef's Choice sharpeners have great reviews, so find one on sale. They also sharpen serrated blades.

essnce629
01-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Glad you like them!!! We have the steak knives, chef's knife, and paring knife. I need to get their bread knife next. I have an American Test Kitchen cookbook and they are recommended in there too!

mypa
01-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Yes, when I first opened the box and saw the knives I thought they looked very much like my cheap knives with the plastic handles but I was quickly proven wrong when they were put to the test. I am a Vitorinox convert!

Now I want to replace my paring knife and bread knife.
Where do you usually buy them from? Does Amazon have the best price?

Jo, thanks for the heads up that Chef's Choice can also sharpen serrated edges, I had no idea.

I want to say thanks to both of you for your recommendations on this great affordable brand. I'd never heard of it before I came here.

daisymommy
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I replaced all my knives with Victorinox last year, and couldn't be happier!
I bought pretty much all the different types, and love them all.

Amazon was the cheapest place, and best selection.
The only one they didn't carry (or maybe their price was more)--was for the long meat carving knife. I bought that on some cooking website.

wencit
01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
They are excellent. Like any knife, they require regular sharpening (not just honing) to keep them at their best. Depending on how much you cook and how important it is to keep your knives as sharp as possible, this might mean as much as once per week, or just a couple of times per year. We sharpen ours about once every 2-3 months with one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Professional-Sharpening-Station/dp/B000CSG9BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325294287&sr=8-1 Jo, how do you know when a knife needs to be sharpened vs steeled? Also, regarding your Chef's Choice sharpener, do you always run your knives through the #1 blade (where it literally strips the knife of some metal) AND the #3 blade (honing only, is it called?), or just the #3 blade?

I have the sharpener you linked to, and used it once (both #1 and #3 blades) when my knives were super dull, but I've always been wondering how I'll know when to use them again.

Thanks, and sorry about the slight hijack!

Jo..
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
EEK. I have no idea how to answer this. When my knives *seem* dull, I ask DH to sharpen them. He read the instruction book that came with the sharpener. I think (?) he goes through a couple of slots each time. Whatever he is doing, it is wonderful.

I'm not sure if this helps
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/chefs_choice_faq.aspx

ETA
I have this one (retail OVER 200). I am fairly sure I paid much much less than 100 for it. IIRC it was in the 70-80 range. But it has saved us a complete fortune in sharpening. I cook and chop nearly daily, and I am picky about my knives.
http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Professional-Knife-Sharpening-Platinum/dp/B000CSK0DM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325615839&sr=1-1

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
EEK. I have no idea how to answer this. When my knives *seem* dull, I ask DH to sharpen them. He read the instruction book that came with the sharpener. I think (?) he goes through a couple of slots each time. Whatever he is doing, it is wonderful.

I'm not sure if this helps
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/chefs_choice_faq.aspx

I would also love to know the trick to using this machine. We have an older one, and DH recently tried to use it, and I feel like he ruined our good Henckels knives. The edges look kind of chewed up and the knives themselves seem dull. I am ready to pay a pro to sharpen them and see if they can be restored to their original effectiveness. And I am afraid to use the sharpener again.

ETA: Ours is the Chef's Choice 110 Diamond Hone Sharper. It looks similar to the one you linked to, though.

Jo..
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Do you have the instruction manual still? Maybe you should take over for DH. I have watched my husband several times, and it seems pretty easy. The reviews on Amazon and CI are EXCELLENT, and I have not read about anyone ruining knives.

BTW, we donated our Henckles knives after we bought the Victorinox ones. ;)

Jo..
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Quote from a pro chef review on amazon (HTH)

This review is from: Chef's Choice 130 Professional Knife-Sharpening Station, Platinum (Kitchen)
I am an Executive Chef and have worked in a kitchen for over 25 years. I purchased this sharpener about a month ago and so far I am very satisfied. If you read the manual, it is very easy to use. I was at first worried about taking too much metal off of my kinves. As long as you don't over use the first stage that should not be a problem.
It put a good edge on my knives quickly and easily. I have a 10 inch wusthof that is my main kitchen knife. I put an edge on it with stage 1 over a month ago and it has remanined very sharp since. All you have to do is run it through stage 2 ( which is just like a steel) every once and a while and it maintains it's sharpness.
So far I am very satisfied.

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote from a pro chef review on amazon (HTH)

This review is from: Chef's Choice 130 Professional Knife-Sharpening Station, Platinum (Kitchen)
I am an Executive Chef and have worked in a kitchen for over 25 years. I purchased this sharpener about a month ago and so far I am very satisfied. If you read the manual, it is very easy to use. I was at first worried about taking too much metal off of my kinves. As long as you don't over use the first stage that should not be a problem.
It put a good edge on my knives quickly and easily. I have a 10 inch wusthof that is my main kitchen knife. I put an edge on it with stage 1 over a month ago and it has remanined very sharp since. All you have to do is run it through stage 2 ( which is just like a steel) every once and a while and it maintains it's sharpness.
So far I am very satisfied.

Thanks. I need to try to find the manual and see if I can resharpen them. My guess is DH did it without even using the manual, figuring he didn't need it. Men! ;)

essnce629
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Where do you usually buy them from? Does Amazon have the best price?

I have bought all of mine from Amazon.