PDA

View Full Version : Help me cook beans from scratch

KpbS
01-03-2012, 01:48 AM
I've tried before and have never been happy with the results :( They are always too al dente for me. I've read that the key is soaking them (rinse, soak) but I think I am still doing something wrong. My DC eat a lot of beans and I'd really like to stop buying so many cans with all of the concerns of bpa. FWIW I mostly buy black beans and great Northern beans.

Tondi G
01-03-2012, 02:42 AM
I've tried before and have never been happy with the results :( They are always too al dente for me. I've read that the key is soaking them (rinse, soak) but I think I am still doing something wrong. My DC eat a lot of beans and I'd really like to stop buying so many cans with all of the concerns of bpa. FWIW I mostly buy black beans and great Northern beans.

If you have a trader joes near by their beans are in BPA free cans. I know they have black beans ... not sure about Great Northern beans.

karstmama
01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
beans can be easy! time consuming, though - but without a lot of attention, so that helps.

take a pound of beans, give them a rinse & a quick check for little rocks or other trash. drain that water off.

put them in a big bowl, fill the bowl with water. leave overnight. little bubbles may form on the surface but that's not a problem.

dump that water, give the beans a rinse & drain again.

fill a big pot a third to half way with water. do you use ham to season? if so, put in a ham hock or slice of country ham. if not, consider a tablespoon of bacon grease or a couple of slices of bacon cut in quarter inch bits. or maybe a tablespoon of olive oil. other seasoning possibilities - maybe chicken stock or base, if you're veggie some sauteed onions/celery/garlic.

add the beans & set on high. once boiling, turn down to med or med low to keep it simmering. i usually put the cover on. after an hour or so, take out the meat & let it cool, then pick the meat off the bone & chop fine & put it back. check & see if the beans are soft after about 2 hours total. i usually add several dashes of tobasco and quite a bit of salt - beans can be bland & soak up a lot of salt before they get too salty.

an excellent soup is that 15 bean mix - that's similar, but when you add the beans, also add in a chopped onion, a can of diced tomatoes, and three or so potatoes cut bite sized. with this mix, the important thing to check is the chickpeas (garbanzos) - they take the longest, so if they're soft, you're good.

ohiomom1121
01-03-2012, 10:10 AM
I made these to go with a taco bar for a birthday party and they were delicious! I didn't mash them at the end because they were so good as they were.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/detail.aspx
Very easy too!

mikala
01-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I've done this recipe a few times for black beans and have been pleased with the results. They did take an hour or two longer to cook than the recipe suggested.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/cooking-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html

I also like this recipe for "refried" beans:
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/08/29/recipe-easy-slow-cooker-refried-beans/

rin
01-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I also don't really like the texture of stovetop beans from scratch, but I've been very happy with beans cooked in the crockpot. Just soak them overnght or for a few hours, drain & rinse, then put them in on high for about 3-4 hours (or longer for bigger beans). Depending on your crockpot/elevation, you'll have to play around with the timing on it. I usually add a tablespoon of oil (cuts down on foam) & a clove of garlic for flavor.

pb&j
01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I also don't really like the texture of stovetop beans from scratch, but I've been very happy with beans cooked in the crockpot. Just soak them overnght or for a few hours, drain & rinse, then put them in on high for about 3-4 hours (or longer for bigger beans). Depending on your crockpot/elevation, you'll have to play around with the timing on it. I usually add a tablespoon of oil (cuts down on foam) & a clove of garlic for flavor.
:yeahthat:
Also, if you're going to add salt, don't do it until the last 30 min of cooking.

I usually let the crockpot cook for about 2ish hours, then I'll check the beans for doneness every 30 min.

elbenn
01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I also do them in the crockpot. When soaking the beans overnight, I add a little baking soda. I have read that tip and it seems to work. You rinse off the beans after soaking them, so you rinse the baking soda off.

urquie
01-03-2012, 12:37 PM
This recipe is fabulous!

Mexican Pinto Beans

Soak 1 lb of pinto beans overnight, after washing and draining. Rinse and drain again, after soaking them.

Cook on almost high;

5+ strips bacon – stirring occasionally for a few minutes, then add in
½ yellow onion – cook until nicely browned, then add
1+ ts ground cumin – stir for 2 minutes, then add
4 cloves garlic – stir for 30 seconds, then add
Jalapeno to taste
Diced tomato – about 3 small, stir for 30 seconds then add
Soaked pinto beans
2 quarts water

Bring to a boil, then simmer at medium heat, uncovered for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Add Some chicken bouillon, at any time.

When most of the water has evaporated and beans are tender, add
½ bunch cilantro
Salt to taste
Tabasco to taste

daisymommy
01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/06/monday-mission-legume-recommend-some-beans/

And see if you can look at page 370-371 of this cookbook via Google. Look at the drop down box for page #'s, then scroll back a page or two. It has a soaking & cooking time chart for most beans:
http://books.google.com/books?id=EoqfRnv2GiYC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=true

Btw..love this cookbook!

KpbS
01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I can't wait to try these new recipes+techniques.

hellokitty
01-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but make big batches of whichever bean(s) that you like and then freeze them in 1 cup amts in ziplock bags. I have done with black beans before. I made a huge batch and then whenever I needed a cup, I'd just reach into the freezer and grab a bag. Very cheap and easy, and I already know that the beans are cooked the way I want them to be, rather than needing them for a recipe and realizing at the last minute that they aren't cooked enough, etc.. Saves a lot of time and gas/electricity.