PDA

View Full Version : Cold-weather training pants

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I want to get some pants that I can wear for fitness walking in winter weather. I picked up this pair at REI yesterday, but unfortunately, I read the reviews when I got home and there are a bunch of negative comments.
http://www.rei.com/product/801237/rei-activestretch-pants-womens

So I ordered the Pow Pow Cargo pants from Athleta, which seem to get great reviews, and figured I can return the REI pair if they work better.
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=792682002&userSearchText=pow+pow+cargo&searchCID=44995

I was also looking at this one at Athleta but did not order:
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=71295&vid=1&pid=879186

Does anyone have experience with any of these pants? If so, please lend your reviews. I wonder which would be warmer, as well. The product description calls the Pow Pow "midweight" and the Polartec "expedition weight," so it sounds like the latter might be warmer.

Feel free to add recommendations for other winter training pants. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I've stolen dh's Under Armour legging type pants and sometimes I put my regular workout pants over them or I just wear them as leggings.

marie
01-03-2012, 12:58 PM
I was also looking at this one at Athleta but did not order:
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=71295&vid=1&pid=879186

I am wearing these right now. I just received them a few days ago and have been wearing them since. LOL! I haven't done anything active in them yet so I can't give you a review for that but I can tell you that they are super comfy and warm.

They run small and on me, long in the legs - I wear a size 12 in jeans and had to return the large for extra-large. The larges fit except they felt a little constricting in the thigh area - which i thought might be a problem for the theoretical snowshoeing/cross-country skiing i will be using them for. :p I'm 5'4" and had to shorten them about 4". I was afraid to go with a petite because I didn't want it any smaller in the rise/hips/thighs area. :o

HTH!

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I am wearing these right now. I just received them a few days ago and have been wearing them since. LOL! I haven't done anything active in them yet so I can't give you a review for that but I can tell you that they are super comfy and warm.

They run small and on me, long in the legs - I wear a size 12 in jeans and had to return the large for extra-large. The larges fit except they felt a little constricting in the thigh area - which i thought might be a problem for the theoretical snowshoeing/cross-country skiing i will be using them for. :p I'm 5'4" and had to shorten them about 4". I was afraid to go with a petite because I didn't want it any smaller in the rise/hips/thighs area. :o

HTH!

Thanks for the info. Wow, 4 inches to hem! I had read that they ran small in the reviews. Good to have that confirmed. May order these, as well, but I might wait till after this weekend. We're having a holiday party with my hubby's family, and SIL likes to buy Athleta stuff. Maybe I will get lucky and get them! :-)

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
I've stolen dh's Under Armour legging type pants and sometimes I put my regular workout pants over them or I just wear them as leggings.

Thanks for the idea. I have done the layering thing, too. I have some old Reebok running tights that I can wear under regular yoga pants. I just thought it would be nice to get a pair that might serve as standalone winter active pants. I bet they would even be nice for running around and doing errands in winter. The cold wind whips right through my regular thin yoga pants and jeans.

corky888
01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi

It all depends on what you are planning to do/how active you are and what kind of conditions you are going out in. I run outside and cross country ski so keeping warm with clothes can that can wick the sweat away are essential. For pants I have winter running tights..sugoi subzero and if it is really cold (-20 and lower) I wear a layer of long underwear underneath. For cross country skiing I like my swix/halti ski pants since they are a combination of stretch and wind blocking. Icebreaker merino wool layers are great for keeping you warm without getting clammy.

If you are just walking outside I would assume that wind blocking ability is important. The only problem with the polartec pants is that they don't block the wind... you might be able to get a larger range of temperatures if you layer something underneath. I bought some lined travex pants from eddie bauer that are awesome for just walking around town. Mind you I live in a fairly cold climate so my suggestions may be extreme if you live in a milder climate. I have some athleta soft shell pants that would also work for colder temperatures. They are a soft shell material (montaine pants I think) and they look funky and are comfortable.

hth

Corky

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi

It all depends on what you are planning to do/how active you are and what kind of conditions you are going out in. I run outside and cross country ski so keeping warm with clothes can that can wick the sweat away are essential. For pants I have winter running tights..sugoi subzero and if it is really cold (-20 and lower) I wear a layer of long underwear underneath. For cross country skiing I like my swix/halti ski pants since they are a combination of stretch and wind blocking. Icebreaker merino wool layers are great for keeping you warm without getting clammy.

If you are just walking outside I would assume that wind blocking ability is important. The only problem with the polartec pants is that they don't block the wind... you might be able to get a larger range of temperatures if you layer something underneath. I bought some lined travex pants from eddie bauer that are awesome for just walking around town. Mind you I live in a fairly cold climate so my suggestions may be extreme if you live in a milder climate. I have some athleta soft shell pants that would also work for colder temperatures. They are a soft shell material (montaine pants I think) and they look funky and are comfortable.

hth

Corky

Great info. Thanks. -20 degrees--yikes! You need some serious cold gear where you are! I am thinking I would opt for a walk indoors on the treadmill at that temp. :-)