PDA

View Full Version : Best way to welcome a new family to the neighborhood?

dukie41181
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
A new family just moved in 2 doors down from me and I'd like to welcome them to te neighborhood and introduce my family. They have a 4 yrar old and 1 year old twins...all girls! They could be great playmates for my girls! What is the best way to welcome them to the neighborhood?

mackmama
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd bake them cookies or some banana bread - although some people wouldn't want to eat something from strangers I guess. Maybe leave a nice card at their front door with some flowers?

SnuggleBuggles
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
We had new neighbors move in this summer. I wrote up a list of helpful local things. Hair dresseres, dentists, Dr.s (pediatricians and regular), vets,shopping centers, and all the other service type stuff you might need if you just moved to the city. I also included lists of places to go that were kid friendly (museums, great playgrounds...). I included restaurant recommendations. Then I included events that were unique to our community like festivals and fairs worth checking out. I took that list over along with some cookies. The mom was really appreciative. :)

dukie41181
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
We had new neighbors move in this summer. I wrote up a list of helpful local things. Hair dresseres, dentists, Dr.s (pediatricians and regular), vets,shopping centers, and all the other service type stuff you might need if you just moved to the city. I also included lists of places to go that were kid friendly (museums, great playgrounds...). I included restaurant recommendations. Then I included events that were unique to our community like festivals and fairs worth checking out. I took that list over along with some cookies. The mom was really appreciative. :)

I like this idea a lot but I'm not sure if the family is from the area or not. Wouldnt make much sense if they are from the area, ykwim.

marie
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM

that is AWESOME. You rock! Wish our neighbors had been more welcoming to us!

OP - I'd bring cookies or something like that with a note with our contact info.

SnuggleBuggles
01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I knew they were from out of town. I'd just go with a baked good and contact info unless you can find out where they are from.

ohiomom1121
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Such a GREAT idea. I would have loved a list like that when we moved in!

twowhat?
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I second baked goods. I'd also leave them your contact info as well as let them know who to contact to get on the neighborhood watch list (if there is one) and other info specific to the neighborhood. Tell them to email you with any little question! How fun:)

mousemom
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
When we moved to our new house, only one of our neighbors even bothered to introduce themselves. I would have been thrilled just to have the neighbors come to our door, introduce themselves and give us their contact information, so I think it's wonderful that you want to welcome your neighbors. In your case, since you both have children around the same age, maybe suggest them coming over to play? Might be a nice break for them from a crazy, post-move house.

essnce629
01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
When we moved in last year our neighbors across the street, made us dinner (chili and garlic bread) and brought it over on the first night. It was great since all of our stuff was in boxes and we didn't have to unpack everything to make dinner or order out. Very sweet of them!

cono0507
01-04-2012, 12:43 AM
When we moved in, one neighbor brought a big plate of snicker doodles and we enjoyed snacking on them while unpacking. Another brought banana bread which was wonderful.

BayGirl2
01-04-2012, 01:38 AM
We're in a new neighborhood and our immediate neighbors all moved in after us. With most we just struck up a conversation when we met them to get a feel for them. Now, as new people move in if there seems to be a connection we invite them over to a neighborly event - like a Halloween or 4th of July party. We all get together frequently so this works for us.

I also think bringing something baked is a nice gesture. For a younger-couple neighbor who we knew just got married we brought over a gift card for a local restaurant that we thought they'd like. Really, anything is ok, but I think striking up a conversation is the best way to kick off a potential friendship.

overcome
01-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I think anything you do would've appreciated. How I wish someone had done that for me.

I think going over with a baked good and asking them to come over w a specific date/time, just for coffee/playdate would be super. You could tell them when they come over you'd be happy to answer any questions they have. Leave your contact info and let them call/email you when ready.

You are doing a wonderful thing.

Giantbear
01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
We had new neighbors move in this summer. I wrote up a list of helpful local things. Hair dresseres, dentists, Dr.s (pediatricians and regular), vets,shopping centers, and all the other service type stuff you might need if you just moved to the city. I also included lists of places to go that were kid friendly (museums, great playgrounds...). I included restaurant recommendations. Then I included events that were unique to our community like festivals and fairs worth checking out. I took that list over along with some cookies. The mom was really appreciative. :)this sounds great. we moved into a new town in august and other than a wave hello, no one greeted us, we just kind of ran into our neighbors. I would have loved someone to have made us feel welcome

AustenFan
01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
We have moved so many times, and we've actually never had anyone bring us baked goods. Growing up, we always did that...so I would be absolutely thrilled if someone brought us something!

Three (!) cities ago, our next door neighbor had a DD the same age as DS. She came over right away and gave me her phone #, jotted down a couple of their favorite take-out places, and gave me the password for their Wi-Fi so we could use it while waiting for ours to get installed. (That was awfully trusting of her!) Then the next day she called to say they were getting the kiddy pool out in the back yard and invited DS over to splash around with them. She wasn't pushy, just welcoming. We ended up being really good friends, playing outside in that after nap/before dinner hour together almost every day, and swapped babysitting, clothes, and sometimes meals. I've always thought I want to be THAT kind of welcoming neighbor when someone new moves to our neighborhood!

I think the key things would be to introduce yourself right away and to make a point of asking them along to low-key things like the park or coming over to play a couple times in the next few weeks so they know you're serious about getting together. Anything else is extra-nice!

Binkandabee
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
When we moved in, our neighbors fixed up a movie night basket for us. They put a bottle of Coke, some popcorn and some theater style candy in a nice sized bowl. We loved it!

brittone2
01-04-2012, 07:16 PM
When we moved to our rental (from out of state) about a year and a half ago, we were already fairly familiar with the area because we lived somewhat nearby years ago. One set of neighbors dropped off a bottle of wine, let us know they hang out around their fire pit on summer evenings (this was May), and gave us a bunch of typed up restaurant recommendations. They camp and that came up (we have a pop up) and they also printed out some favorite camping destinations in the area. I thought that was really nice, very helpful, and it felt personal. it also felt like it gave us a lot to talk about with them. Oh, and they had teenaged daughters and mentioned that they were available for babysitting.

In our current neighborhood (bought a house after the rental) 1-2 neighbors dropped off baked goods, which was very thoughtful. In one of our other previous homes, a neighbor with kids had the kids show up with some beautiful flowers from their garden (lillies) and they introduced themselves. The mom and dad were along as well.

oneplustwo
01-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Stop by sometime with a baked goodie to say hello and introduce yourself! Some neighbors did that when we moved in and it was so nice to break the ice that way. I bring a little something to every new family on our street now too. Offer your contact info and offer to help if they need local resources for anything. One thing will lead to another, and you will most likely soon be having playdates. :)

Jo..
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
When we moved in (right before Christmas 2006), our neighbors invited us to Christmas dinner. :heartbeat:

We had no local family, nor did they, and it was a match made in heaven. We have been REALLY fast friends ever since (see and/or talk to eachother almost daily).

I say drop them off something like cookies, and invite them over to dinner.