PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your toilet paper and garbage bags?

ourbabygirl
01-03-2012, 01:05 PM
And do you have a certain 'pull-the-trigger' price per roll and per bag?

Exciting topic, I know!

I've just been buying ours from Target & the local grocery store, but maybe I should try Amazon or Costco? Or somewhere else?
I prefer big rolls of Charmin extra soft... for garbage bags I don't mind what brand or type, just that it has a drawstring top.

Where do you buy yours? Any idea what you spend per roll or per bag?

Thanks!

baymom
01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I have no idea how much we spend, but I've always bought both at Costco. Just plain old Kirkland Sigature brand... I am pretty sure that the trash bags are a good deal there, not sure about the TP, but I just like the convenience of not thinking about it.

Jo..
01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
The little rolls of Charmin etc would last my family half a day. I prefer big 1000 sheet rolls (Scott etc), but they are so pricey...almost a dollar a roll!

I buy my tissue at Walgreens. They sell their own brand of 1000 sheet rolls for 30-60 cents depending on sales/coupons.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/big-roll-bathroom-tissue-single-roll/ID=prod4258474-product

Each one of these rolls lasts for several days.

I buy my garbage bags at Sam's Club, Home Depot, or Lowes, depending on what I need and the price.

amldaley
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Trash bags from Costco...TP and paper towels from the commissary (military) or Wal-Mart or Target.

TwoBees
01-03-2012, 01:19 PM
We buy those items, as well as paper towels and tissues at Sam's Club. I don't know what the "pull-the-trigger" price is, but DH has it all figured out and apparently for us, Sam's is less expensive than Costso, BJ's, Target, or Amazon.

AnnieW625
01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
All trash bags come from Costco. The bags we use for the Diaper Champ (tall kitchen bags; the ones that fit a tall under sink trash can) last us at least 4 yrs. I think I last bought some DD1 wasn't even 2 yet. We used to buy lawn bags about once a year, but now our city wants no lawn bags for green waste so we haven't bought any in over a year. We have a Simple Human step can an use the Costco brand trash bags also. It's been a good year I think since I bought them.

For TP and paper towels I'll buy at Costco or Target depending on what Costco has coupons for or what they have in stock. I love the select a size towels and Costco isn't keeping them so it's back to Target for those. For TP if Costco has a coupon for theirs or the Charmin, it is a good deal, but if they don't it's almost the same price as Target. We go through a 36 roll Costco pack about once every three to four months because we aren't hone 8-5 during week.

crl
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I have no idea how much we spend, but I've always bought both at Costco. Just plain old Kirkland Sigature brand... I am pretty sure that the trash bags are a good deal there, not sure about the TP, but I just like the convenience of not thinking about it.

:yeahthat: and I go to Target about once a year so for me the alternaitive is the grocery store. Pretty sure Costco beats that price.

Catherine

elliput
01-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I have bought trash bags and TP at Sam's Club for nearly 19 years. I can't remember the last time I did a price comparison.

WatchingThemGrow
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I have bought trash bags and TP at Sam's Club for nearly 19 years. I can't remember the last time I did a price comparison.
:yeahthat: EXACTLY, since 1993. :rotflmao: So convenient to get the same ones, same packaging, same space in the closet, never think about it. Pretty sure it isn't a rip-off.

ourbabygirl
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks again! I stay home with the kids, and DH works from home, so we go through a LOT of toilet paper! (And that's just with DD; DS is still in diapers.) My problem is that I prefer the nice stuff and really dislike the cheap, thin, hard tp.
I figure that since we go through so much of both of these items, and they're relatively big cost things, that I should be doing more price comparisons.

traciann
01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I buy both from Sams! I love their members mark kitchen trash bags. 150 for 9.98 I believe. I used to only buy glad but these bags are great! I buy Scotts tp and it's 22 something for 36 rolls. I also buy paper towels there as well. Dh prefers we stock up on those items so we don't run out and those are the best prices around here.

nupe
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Costco, because that is where I buy most things.

I 'm too scared to go to Target, I spent way too much there on things that distract me on the way to where I intended to go...

katydid1971
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
:yeahthat:

SASM
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I really like Target Premium TP but occasionally buy from Sam's. I only buy Hefty Flap garbage bags...although the quality has gone downhill.

essnce629
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I just started buying our Charmin Ultra Soft on Amazon using S & S. It came out cheaper than Costco since Costco only carries the Jumbo rolls (231 sheets per roll) and Amazon carries the Mega rolls (352 sheets per roll). When you figure it out by cost per sheet, Amazon is cheaper and there's no tax which ups the price when buying it at Costco.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WJD8OG

I buy our trash bags at Costco (Kirkland brand).

s7714
01-03-2012, 05:04 PM

:yeahthat: I haven't priced out TP or garbage bags for ages. :bag

Indianamom2
01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I buy both from Sams! I love their members mark kitchen trash bags. 150 for 9.98 I believe. I used to only buy glad but these bags are great! I buy Scotts tp and it's 22 something for 36 rolls. I also buy paper towels there as well. Dh prefers we stock up on those items so we don't run out and those are the best prices around here.

I like the Sams Club trash bags as well (just bought some on Saturday!). I also usually get the huge pack of TP there too...Quilted Northern works fine for us. I think it used to be $16 something for 36 rolls...now it's $18ish.

wellyes
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Amazon for sure. Set up a subscription at slickdeals to get an alert when there is a coupon + subscribe and save deal.

AnnieW625
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
:yeahthat: I haven't priced out TP or garbage bags for ages. :bag

Costco's Charmin prices w/o a coupon are similar to Target's prices on Quilted Northern (not the Ultra). I just checked my TP I bought at Target recently and you get 242 sheets per roll and you get 12 rolls in a package and it is just about $6 so if you get three packs of Northern at Target it is about the same price as the Charmin at Costco, and I also think you get a little more TP too based on what Essence posted about the amount of TP that is in a Charmin roll. The Kirkland brand of TP is a good deal and I think it is Quilted Northern or at least Angel Soft, but the bag is much harder to store than even the Charmin because you get more TP, 425 sheets per roll.

I have thought about getting my TP from Subscribe and Save, but since I am not home during the day I don't want a box labeled Charmin or what not on my front porch and have it be an invitation to the jr. high and high school kids who walk down my block on the way home from school.

pinkmomagain
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I am pretty brand loyal to both. The garbage bags I like are the Hefty that grip the top of the garbage pail. The toilet paper is Cotonelle w/Aloe. I just get them at my local grocery store...wish Costo carried the TP. Sometimes I get it at Target because I can get a larger package with more rolls. I have never priced out these items (I couldn't even guess the price) but I'm happy when they are on sale.

lalasmama
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
:bag My BBB membership may be revoked. No real price shopping/comparing here.

I get my TP and garbage bags wherever we happen to be when DD says, "Mama, can we get toilet paper? The paper towel I had to use today wasn't very soft." And then I say, "D'oh! Yep! TP it is!" and I buy whatever doesn't make me think about the price I'm paying to keep my booty clean. For some reason, I think I bought a national brand, but not a "premium" brand, for $4 for 6 larger-than-average rolls at Target this weekend.

I always end up with some store brand (Target, Walmart) for my trash bags. It seems like the price is always around $6 for a roll of ?50 maybe.

zag95
01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Costco for both.

Beth24
01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I buy almost everything with Amazon subscribe and save now.

mom2one
01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Sams!
I buy the members mark paper towels. They are my favorite.
I also get the giant thing of northern tp.

Susan

ZeeBaby
01-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Costco for garbage bags and Costco for TP or the grocery store when it is on sale, but so hard to track the sales su usually Costco.

mypa
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Costco for trash bags, they last for a loooong time so I don't shop around for this.

I go through a ton of toilet paper and used to buy Kirkland's TP, but they just feel too thin. Northern's are better, but I recently tried out Cottonelle that Costco sold one time w/ a coupon, oh my, they are incredible! Thick, absorbant, and not linty like Charmins but I go through the role in 2-3 days. Not sure how to compare prices as the thinner the TP the more I use, the thicker the less. I buy the Kirkland's for DH and DS and the Northerns or Cottonelle for me, all from Costco.

I stock up on several cases at a time whenever Costco has coupons. I have a fear of running out of TP.

lchang25000
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Charming ultra from Costco and Costco brand trash bags.

kijip
01-03-2012, 10:01 PM
We get the compostable bags from Costco. We buy toilet paper whatever greener brand is cheapest at the grocery store or co-op when we need it.

Twin Mom
01-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Costco for TP and trash bags. Almost always Kirkland brand unless the name brand TP is cheaper with coupon.

Also buy Kirkland paper towels unless the name brand is cheaper with coupon. I do a comparison to figure out which is more cost effective when I'm there. I do like the select a size so when the price is better, I will buy those.

abh5e8
01-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Amazon for sure. Set up a subscription at slickdeals to get an alert when there is a coupon + subscribe and save deal.

how, exactly, do you do this? i have an account with slickdeals.

we get our trash bags for free from the city we live in...recycle bags too. well, i mean, we pay for them with our monthly service :) but i don't buy any others... and we use grocery store plastic bags for all the small trashcans and stinky diapers.

for TP, we use the Scott thin sheets, bc we have old plumbing and it is easiest on the pipes. i last bought it over a year ago, with some huge sale + coupon + rebate...i bought lots (like 100's of rolls), so don't plan to buy for awhile, but i do need to start to look for another good sale.

mom_hanna
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
We buy those items, as well as paper towels and tissues at Sam's Club. I don't know what the "pull-the-trigger" price is, but DH has it all figured out and apparently for us, Sam's is less expensive than Costso, BJ's, Target, or Amazon.

Yup, we do Sam's Club too. We don't have Costco or BJ's though.

JoyNChrist
01-03-2012, 11:16 PM
:bag My BBB membership may be revoked. No real price shopping/comparing here.

I get my TP and garbage bags wherever we happen to be when DD says, "Mama, can we get toilet paper? The paper towel I had to use today wasn't very soft." And then I say, "D'oh! Yep! TP it is!" and I buy whatever doesn't make me think about the price I'm paying to keep my booty clean. For some reason, I think I bought a national brand, but not a "premium" brand, for $4 for 6 larger-than-average rolls at Target this weekend.

I always end up with some store brand (Target, Walmart) for my trash bags. It seems like the price is always around $6 for a roll of ?50 maybe.

This is basically me too. I'm usually running in the grocery store or dollar store on my way home from school because the nanny had texted me to say, "Just wanted to let you know we ran out of ________."