PDA

View Full Version : iPad apps for use only at home?

amldaley
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
DH gave me an iPad2 for X-Mas...which he was really excited about. The problem is, I neither want it nor need it. I am not about to pay for a data plan for it when I already have a Droid X that I pay for and use well.

I can't stand typing on the thing so I basically use it for browsing, surfing, etc. I used it for some recipes the other day. Otherwise....ehh. I would rather have put the money towards a new camera...something we have been trying to save for now for YEARS.

Any around the house apps? I don't play games that much...as my Facebook Words With Friends can attest to. I did hear today that it can be used as a baby monitor...anyone BTDT?

I am not interested in kids apps as DD is 3.5 and there is not a chance I am letting her touch this.

I am sort of thinking I might sell it...would that be horrible??????????????????

justlearning
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Do you have any relatives with ipods or iphones or ipads (the newer generations)? If not, do any have wifi?

My parents got an ipad2 and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing facetime with us. It helps them feel closer to us when they live 1500 miles away. Yes, we've skyped before but it's SO much easier to use facetime--it's the exact same as making a phone call (just one button).

On our end, we use either DH's iphone 4s or my ipod 4th generation (which I got for $135 on BF after gift card deducted).

As far as apps go, I could list some that my parents enjoy but they're games. On my ipod, I am using apps like myfitness pal, a Bible reading app, and an errands app. But you could probably do those or similar on your Droid.

Do you travel much? We just got back and there were LOTS of ipads on the flight with people watching movies, playing games, or reading. The row next to me had a girl that was probably 2 or 3 years old and she was happily entertained on the 2 1/2-hour flight by using the ipad.

pinkmomagain
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Do you have a Kindle? If not, you can use the kindle app on the ipad and read books. You can rent movies on it from itunes.
You can read the news on it.
Listen to Pandora on it.
You don't need a data plan for it if you have wireless internet access in your home.

arivecchi
01-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I only have a wifi one.

I mostly use it for web browsing (facebook, BBB, MFP, news) and email, but my favorite apps are:

Netflix
Infinity (watch HBO)
Itunes (movies and music)
Kindle

I use mine while I work out in the basement (no TV there) which enables me to work out so much longer! I also love it for travel (both air and car travel).

AnnieW625
01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd be honest with your DH and tell him you want to take it back or sell it and get a nice DSLR instead. Sometimes I think I would want a bigger screen too, but honestly I don't think I need an iPad because my iPhone seems to be able to do everything else that I can do with my phone, but watch episodes from abc.com; plus we still have our iMac!

PAfirsttimemom
01-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I'd be honest with your DH and tell him you want to take it back or sell it and get a nice DSLR instead. Sometimes I think I would want a bigger screen too, but honestly I don't think I need an iPad because my iPhone seems to be able to do everything else that I can do with my phone, but watch episodes from abc.com; plus we still have our iMac!

I think I agree with this. That is a pretty expensive item to be kind of meh about. Could you be honest with DH and tell him you would rather have the camera right now? I bet for the price of an iPad, you could get an entry-level DSLR package.