PDA

View Full Version : Best schools/neighborhoods in Marietta, Ga area

Twins2000
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
My DH and I are toying with the idea (again) of moving to the Atlanta/Marietta, GA area. Which schools/districts are considered the best? In terms of high schools, I've heard of Pope, Lassiter, and Walton (I heard that Walton was best in the past, but recently read that Pope rated higher), but what about middle schools and elementary/primaries? My kids are currently in 6th and 1st grade, and one of my 6th graders has Aspergers and is in an inclusion class. Any recommendations, or schools/districts to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie

Twins2000
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Anybody? Anybody?

JTsMom
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I can put you in touch with a friend that lives near that area if you want. Her DS has Aspergers, so she might be a good resource. PM me your contact info if you want me to pass it along to her.

fivi2
01-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I grew up there, but all my info is 20+ years out of date! I remember when Pope was built lol.

I went to private school K-12, which used to be very common in the area. I think I would have fed into Walton if I had gone to public school... Unfortunately, I don't keep up with anyone in the area, so no help to you. I think city-data should have some good information, though. You might want to do a search there. Good luck! East Cobb was a nice place to grow up and the area has grown so much!

Pilotbaby
01-03-2012, 09:14 PM
How soon do you need to decide? I have a friend who is a VP there and I can get some suggestions from her? Also, have you definitely decided on Marietta? I ask b/c north Atlanta- Alpharetta and beyond is very nice now and has tons of brand new schools that are very good.

WatchingThemGrow
01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
East Cobb was a nice place to grow up and the area has grown so much!
I loved it there too! I lived in Independence Square and my dad/his family lived in Princeton Mill. Loved the 80's in Marietta! (sorry OP, sorta off topic since you want to know about NOW)

I've heard that the schools Princeton Mill feeds into aren't as stellar as they once were.

Twins2000
01-03-2012, 09:27 PM
How soon do you need to decide? I have a friend who is a VP there and I can get some suggestions from her? Also, have you definitely decided on Marietta? I ask b/c north Atlanta- Alpharetta and beyond is very nice now and has tons of brand new schools that are very good.

We have plenty of time to decide. If we move there, it wouldn't be for probably about 9 months to a year. We were thinking Marietta b/c I have a cousin there. Though, I've heard Roswell and Alpharetta are really nice.

nmosur
01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I live in the same county but not in Marietta city. We looked into moving to Marietta briefly last year but decided against it. The elementary and high schools were good but we were not thrilled with the middle schools - I can't remember which ones we looked at but we couldn't pin down a elementary-middle-high school combo that we felt was really good. Plus the houses cost way more because of the schools. Traffic in and out of Marietta is awful to say the least. We decided to stay where we are and ended up choosing the private school route (private school admission process in Atlanta is totally different story).

What I like about Marietta is how self-contained it is for kids. You won't have to drive very far to find the best swimming schools, ballet classes, karate classes etc etc. We drive there once a week for a language class. Lots of shopping and a decent mall. Traffic is horrible - even the small streets are congested during peak hours. I remember going for private swimming classes in one of the subdivisions last summer and it used to take me 30 minutes to make it out of the subdivision into the main streets.

Roswell has some really good schools and so does Alpharetta - these are not that far from Marietta either. Again some of the Buckhead area schools are also awesome (Morris Brandon, Sara Smith school districts). There are a few charter schools too that are very very good. Marietta has a couple of good ones from what I hear but I did not personally research them.

09Mom
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
If you do move to Atlanta you will be near the Marcus Institute for Autism.
http://www.marcus.org/