PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your bulk vegetables for juicing?

ChefGirl
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Does Costco have the best pricing? I'm looking for carrots, celery and greens. Thanks.

mum-to-be
01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Carrots are very cheap at costco - $4.xx for a massive bag - sorry nit sure of the quantity but it would takes up the space 2 gallons of milk would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dec756
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
costco is awesome!!

ChefGirl
01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Carrots are very cheap at costco - $4.xx for a massive bag - sorry nit sure of the quantity but it would takes up the space 2 gallons of milk would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, just picked up 10 lb of organic carrots for $5.99. Just wish they had green bell peppers, cucumbers, etc...

dec756
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
my costco does have the huge cucumbers for 3.99 for 3 i think and i do use those for juicing.

brittone2
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
For cukes, my costco carries the greenhouse grown (I think they more selectively spray vs. broader spraying) cucumbers and also often carries ones labeled as pesticide free. A nice side benefit :) No kale at mine, but they do sometimes carry spinach (my local costco doesn't seem to have organic spinach but my previous Costco did). They also carry organic salad greens if those would be useful to you.

ahisma
01-04-2012, 03:30 PM
My Costco sells the 10 lb bags of carrots for $6.99. Grrr....

lhafer
01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
As a fellow juicer...let me caution you. I thought buying veggies and fruits in bulk would be better as well. But I found that mine would go back before I could use them all. So now I just buy enough for several days, and then go back to the store. Carrots and celery wilt and get limp. I store my spinach and kale in ziplock bags and they stay fresh the longest. I keep most of my fruit on the counter actually (oranges, apples, pears, pinapple). Berries I actually get from the frozen food section becaue I could NOT keep strawberries and raspberries fresh for more than a couple of days.

Jo..
01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
As a fellow juicer...let me caution you. I thought buying veggies and fruits in bulk would be better as well. But I found that mine would go back before I could use them all. So now I just buy enough for several days, and then go back to the store. Carrots and celery wilt and get limp. I store my spinach and kale in ziplock bags and they stay fresh the longest. I keep most of my fruit on the counter actually (oranges, apples, pears, pinapple). Berries I actually get from the frozen food section becaue I could NOT keep strawberries and raspberries fresh for more than a couple of days.

If you wrap celery in tinfoil, it stays crisp and fresh for several weeks. :)

anamika
01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
A great tip I found for berries is to wash them in acidulated water. I add a splash of vinegar to a big bowl of water and rinse the berries in it. They stay nice and fresh for a long time and you can't really taste or smell the vinegar.

mum-to-be
01-04-2012, 10:20 PM
my costco does have the huge cucumbers for 3.99 for 3 i think and i do use those for juicing.

Mine too - $3.29 at mine though.

Strawberries fluctuate in price but I find they are always cheaper at Costco. $4.99 for 2lb at mine on 12/31. Kiwifruit 4lb for $5.49.

I find the quality is high and the produce lasts longer than the produce I can buy at Safeway.

turtle12
01-05-2012, 08:53 AM
A great tip I found for berries is to wash them in acidulated water. I add a splash of vinegar to a big bowl of water and rinse the berries in it. They stay nice and fresh for a long time and you can't really taste or smell the vinegar.

oh wow, cool tip. same with the celery, too. who knew!