PDA

View Full Version : ISO good smoothie recipes

DietCokeLover
01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I am looking for some good, filling smoothie recipes. Preferably on the lo cal/ lo fat side. However, I HATE strawberries, so nothing with those.

Anybody got anything?

brittone2
01-04-2012, 03:24 PM
If you don't have an issue w/ the fat in avocados, they add a nice texture to smoothies. I usually use it combined w/ strawberries so that won't help you, but you can add avocado to other smoothies too. It gives them a nice mouth feel and there isn't much flavor from them. eta: if calories are an issue, I'd use 1/2 an avocado or 1/4. We use unsweetened almond milk in our smoothies which is very low cal (and we sweeten a touch with NuNaturals stevia and/or a little erythritol)

american_mama
01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
DH makes wonderful smoothies using pomegranate juice, frozen mixed berries instead of ice, a tablespoon or more of lemon juice, and a tablespoon are so of honey. The thickness comes all from the blended up frozen berries. There are a lot of seeds, but I got used to it after the first time (as did our picky kids).

He uses pomegranate juice sweetened with concentrated grape or apple juice (Harris Teeter store brand). It's listed on the ingredient list, but not apparently enough to be marketed as pom-grape juice or the like. We've tried other pomegranate juices and this one has the best flavor, although the smoothies are good no matter the juice.