PDA

View Full Version : Question on Costco Returns w/ no receipt

alien_host
01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I just went through DD's closet to get it organized and I found a few items that I meant to return. How far back will they do a receipt look up? One is a bathing suit from last spring that I realized I grabbed the wrong size.

I'm feeling bad, I have a bunch of returns of stuff I picked up here and there and I've been forever putting off taking them back.

Do you think they will issue store credit from stuff almost a year ago (some from this past summer).

Do you get embarrassed from bringing in stuff that is that old. I am HORRIBLE at returns! Especially at stores that supposedly have an unlimited time.

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I am terrible with returns. I finally decided to mall back 2+ year old Lands End returns bc I was too embarrassed to go to Sears with them.

I just returned something to Costco yesterday with no receipt, from this summer. Only problem was that the item had clearances and she had to override to cheap price and give me full credit. Easy. Don't worry. They seem pretty judgment proof there.

tny915
01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I returned some items I bought one or two years ago with no issues. Can't recall whether it was store credit or back on my AmEx, but it was a very easy process, and they didn't even comment on the fact they were old items.

MMMommy
01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Do your returns still have the tags and Costco item number on those tags? I am embarrassed by really old returns, but one year for Costco isn't too horrible. I think it's fine.

alien_host
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I am terrible with returns. I finally decided to mall back 2+ year old Lands End returns bc I was too embarrassed to go to Sears with them.

I just returned something to Costco yesterday with no receipt, from this summer. Only problem was that the item had clearances and she had to override to cheap price and give me full credit. Easy. Don't worry. They seem pretty judgment proof there.

So they will give you what you paid right? Actually I just found a few of the receipts of the stuff I've been putting off returning so that should help.

I went to Sears last week to return stuff from March 2011. I think they are mailing me a check, because I haven't seen a credit yet. I saw on the news that some Sears stores might be closing so I decided to get my butt in gear and get that stuff back.

I guess my New Year's Resolution should be to be better at returns. ;)

alien_host
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
OK I cross posted with some of you all, I'm going to go to Costco this afternoon :), hoping the holiday returns have calmed down.

geochick
01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I think you get 90 days if it's an electronic item. Other than that, I haven't seen a time limit for returns. If you don't have the receipt, I believe they give you store credit.

alien_host
01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Do your returns still have the tags and Costco item number on those tags? I am embarrassed by really old returns, but one year for Costco isn't too horrible. I think it's fine.

Everything has tags. Thankfully I found some of the receipts hanging on my bulletin board. I need to stop impulse shopping for clothing at Costco!

MMMommy
01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
If you can find all your receipts, it would be better. Then you will get back what you actually paid. If the items have have been reduced (for example, many Costco items are reduced to "XX.97"), then you they will probably just give you that price without a receipt. Unless the rep makes the effort to go way back into the system to look up what you paid, which might be time consuming and difficult. But if you are lucky, your items might not have reduced in price and you will get what you paid anyways.

ckso
01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Costco can look up years and they will credit back to the Amex card
At the price you paid. The only exception is electronics. Take it back. I think they're so used to processing all sorts of returns they barely blink an eye. I mean I've seen people return fruit that's moldy. That too me is wrong cuz obviously the person just didn't eat it in time and the fruit turned bad. But the lady just processed it.

mypa
01-05-2012, 01:46 PM
If you don't have the receipt they will use your membership # and go through your purchases to find the item and give you $$ back. Sometimes this is a tedious process as it looks like they have to semi-manually go through it. They have never given me store credit as they eventually find the item, even if 3+ yrs back (broken Keurig).

If it's a recent purchase, returns are a lot quicker without a receipt. It will take much longer if it's an older purchase. During the holidays they would not let me do any returns without a receipt as it took too long to look up and told me to come back when things died down.

Now, I try to keep all the receipts (in envelopes for each year), makes returns much quicker.

vonfirmath
01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I just went through DD's closet to get it organized and I found a few items that I meant to return. How far back will they do a receipt look up? One is a bathing suit from last spring that I realized I grabbed the wrong size.

A LONG time. I've returned an outfit (with tags) almost a year to the day after I bought it.

vonfirmath
01-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I mean I've seen people return fruit that's moldy. That too me is wrong cuz obviously the person just didn't eat it in time and the fruit turned bad. But the lady just processed it.

Do you know that for sure?
I've taken back fruit to Costco that got moldy within 2 days of purchasing because I thought I ought to have more time than that.

spunkybaby
01-05-2012, 02:21 PM
I've taken back fruit to Costco that got moldy within 2 days of purchasing because I thought I ought to have more time than that.

Yes, and I saw oranges at Costco yesterday that were moldy. If I had just hurried and grabbed a box, I might not have noticed the moldy oranges until I got home.

alien_host
01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I returned a package of moldy raviolis. The date on it was fine. We ate one pack and I noticed as I put the second away that it was moldy. So gross, I wondered for days if the other package was OK...since we ate it! I think I would have noticed...but gross.

So I returned 1/2 of the item. I really wanted them to know that this was happening to the product that had another week left on it. They gave me full credit back without issue, in fact the lady was pretty horrified. Anyway they do aim to please!

Ok, I just seem to be missing one receipt so I think I'll go attempt to do the return!

ckso
01-05-2012, 02:33 PM

I know I've seen moldy fruit at costco before. But in this case, yep, pretty sure. All the fruit in the box was pretty moldy and sad looking. The lady asked if something was wrong with it when he bought it and he said no but that he didnt have a chance to return it earlier.

chays
01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Don't go today! Its the first day of a new coupon book...the place was MOBBED when I was there (accidentally) this morning.

alien_host
01-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't go today! Its the first day of a new coupon book...the place was MOBBED when I was there (accidentally) this morning.

Oh I just saw this, thanks for the heads up. I'll try tomorrow or next week.

Is there any place on-line to see the coupon offerings? My store never seems to have extra books and this month I didn't get it. I know I can have the cashier scan in any coupon as they all have the same number, but if I don't know what's offered it makes it hard to do!

amoonmama
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
They now post the coupon book contents online!

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage.aspx?ProductNo=11682988

KimMae
01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Huh, mold: I almost bought organic cherries that had mold on the bottom and the next box over was fine.

Also I returned cottage cheese that had mold just on the edge of the container when I opened it before the expiration date.

I've similarly returned meats to our local Giant Eagle and meats and cheese to Trader Joes (where I think they've fixed their issues) because they were bad before the exp date and usually within a day or two of buying them. I also returned dates once that were fermented! to Giant Eagle.

This is a real pain to return food and occasionally we dont' but I try to since the store should know.