PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Bras: worth it or am I crazy?

smiles33
01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
So I just went to Nordstrom to return a gift and figured I'd get measured for a bra properly because I've read a few BBB threads about being properly measured and how the majority of women wear the wrong size. The search engine says bra is too short of a word to search for so I can't find them now to reference other tidbits.

Anyhow, I just bought 4 very expensive bras that fit well (I went up a band size and it felt so much better!) but am regretting the cost now. We're talking $50+ per bra plus the nearly 10% sales tax. I normally buy from TJMaxx or Marshall's and just pick a $15-$20 bra. Are the expensive ones worth it?

I tried on a dozen or more bras but ended up buying Spanx and Natori bras, two brands I know I have seen at TJMaxx/Marshall's, but I am not sure if they are these exact styles. I really liked the wide straps on the two styles I bought.

I didn't try on any lacy (the kind you wear for 5 minutes only) bras, just ones I'd wear to work all day, so for the purposes of the poll, answer based on comfort, not sex appeal! :)

Your thoughts? Poll coming!

SnuggleBuggles
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I would try a cheaper one in the new size and compare. IMO, you might get something better if you pay more (lasts longer or something) but I think that a good fit is what matters most.

eta- there may be something intangible about how you feel knowing you are wearing something special and fancy too. :)

BayGirl2
01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
IMO fit is more important. But if you have a specific size that is hard to find, paying more for the right fit is worth it.

But I've never really compared so for some people a more expensive one may be worth it. If you like them and they make you feel good, keep them.

TwinFoxes
01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't really have a choice. My cup size is, um, not readily available other than from expensive brands, which I am happy to buy at Nordstrom Rack when I find them.

That being said, I've never had an issue with an expensive bra falling apart like I have with not well made ones, and by that I mean Victoria's Secret, which I guess aren't even all that cheap anymore according to a recent thread (they used to always seem to be on sale for <$20).

BabbyO
01-06-2012, 05:48 PM
IME it isn't worth it BUT that said, my girls are pretty small...so that makes a big difference, I think.

arivecchi
01-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Have you checked the prices of those same bras on Amazon? I would maybe keep one or two and try to get more on Amazon or on sale.

lowrioh
01-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I think that a well fitting bra is worth a lot, especially if you are well endowed. If the bra that fits you best is expensive then it is worth it. I was wearing expensive bras for Nordies for a few years and they were great but I recently replaced all my bras with some of the Comfort-U line from Bali. (I went down a size due to weight loss). I had to try on 4 different styles before I found the one that fit my body best.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bali-bra-comfort-u-back-to-beautiful-underwire-3231?ID=430566&CategoryID=55799&LinkType=#fn=BRA_CUP_SIZE%3DDDD%26BRAND%3DBali%26s p%3D1%26spc%3D12%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D11

I think that they are as comfortable, supportive and well fitting as bras that are 2-3 times as expensive. That said, not all bras fit all women.

smiles33
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Have you checked the prices of those same bras on Amazon? I would maybe keep one or two and try to get more on Amazon or on sale.

Oh, great suggestion!

To the others, I'm average/"mainstream" (36B, not 34B, thanks to the extra 10 pounds hanging around) so it's always been easy to find my size at discount places.

Globetrotter
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I found high-end bras on ebay, and I purchased these for a relative who has a hard-to-find size and a tight budget.

Try them on in person before bidding!

Nordstrom Rack is hit or miss, but they do carry bras from the retail stores. I wouldn't recommend the made-for-NR bras - I got two (CK) and they fell apart in a few months!

Beth24
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I always buy one of the more expensive bras when I get fitted and then go home and find it online for much cheaper and buy a few more.

wellyes
01-06-2012, 06:26 PM
If you breasts are large, a well-made bra is a back saver. I don't know about Bs, I'm a DD :) My first Nordstrom bra was revelatory. Since then I have a mix of bras but the more expensive ones are unquestionably nicer in terms of fit and feel.

crl
01-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I think a good fit is the most important thing. Depending on your preferences and size it may be hard to find nicer bras at a discount. (I am in between a 30 and 32 A and hate underwire, but want a lined/lightly padded bra to avoid headlights.) It is pretty much impossible to find this combo on a Nordies sale rack or at NR or TJMaxx, etc.

Catherine

twowhat?
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Bras are the only thing I buy from Lululemon and it drives me insane that they don't run sales or specials - I mean nothing on Black Friday or Cyber Monday or for the holidays!!! But they carry a bra that works really really well for me since I'm an odd size (29C/D). I now own 2 pairs in the correct fit (actually the Lululemon bra is in size 32C, but the band runs TIGHT so it works really well for me). I rotate between them. They are super comfy, give good shape and are totally and completely worth it. (>$50).

I agree that if you have a difficult size, it's worth it to pay more for good fit. Just buy fewer of them and care for them well:)

ilfaith
01-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I wear a size that isn't available at Target or Kohls (or even some department stores)...at least not in stores; they do sometimes carry my size online.

I wear a 32C (and can actually get away with a 30D...since I typically start wearing 32Cs on the tightest hook...but then my options are even more limited). Even though the girls aren't huge (since a 32C cup is pretty much the same as a 34B)...they are not as perky as they once were, and I do appreciate the support of better bras.

I do sometimes find nicer bras in my size (Wacoal, etc) at discounters like Marshalls, TJs and SteinMart...otherwise I watch for sales at the department stores. Right now my favorite bra is a black lacy one by "b.tempt'd" (Wacoal's sexier, slightly cheaper line). I bought it at either Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

hillview
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I really like the victoria secret -- I've had nicer bras from Nordies but they don't fit as well.
/hillary

fivi2
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I voted other. I wear a very large size, and expensive bras that fit well are worth every penny. If I wore a smaller, more common size, I think I would be open to less expensive brands.

alexsmommy
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I think once you hit a C cup or above, you get what you pay for. That said, you can find the high end brands at good prices at NR and online at times.
I do like one specific bra from Victoria's Secret, and when the have certain sales, I stock up on one white, one nude and one black each year. I just ordered and they sent me the wrong sizes, but it's easy enough to exchange at the store for me.

crl
01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Bras are the only thing I buy from Lululemon and it drives me insane that they don't run sales or specials - I mean nothing on Black Friday or Cyber Monday or for the holidays!!! But they carry a bra that works really really well for me since I'm an odd size (29C/D). I now own 2 pairs in the correct fit (actually the Lululemon bra is in size 32C, but the band runs TIGHT so it works really well for me). I rotate between them. They are super comfy, give good shape and are totally and completely worth it. (>$50).

I agree that if you have a difficult size, it's worth it to pay more for good fit. Just buy fewer of them and care for them well:)

Super interesting about the fit of the Lululemon bras. Is that true for all of them or a particular style? Cause I could really use a small 32, since 30s are nearly impossible to find. . . .

Catherine

kozachka
01-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I voted "Yes, you get what you pay for" but I would not pay retail except for maybe one bra from Nordstrom, which I would write off as the cost of consultation. If I were you, I would go to Marshall's and T. J. Maxx, and try Natori, Walcoal and Chantelle bras. I would also check out online sales, including eBay, for the exact same bras.

If you really don't want to wait, you could also go ahead and start wearing the bras, and then re-buy and return when they go on sale (advantage of buying from Nordstrom). Keep in mind that Nordstrom matches prices of other department stores/credible websites, so you can get at least 20-25% off when Saks/Macy's has another Friends & Family sale.

twowhat?
01-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Super interesting about the fit of the Lululemon bras. Is that true for all of them or a particular style? Cause I could really use a small 32, since 30s are nearly impossible to find. . . .

Catherine

As far as i know only the ta ta tamer. I learned about it by reading reviews and have found it to be true. If you stalk the stores you mght get lucky and snag one on sale for $44. They never seem to go on sale online.

sntm
01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Definitely. But, you can often find those same higher end bras cheaper elsewhere.

I despise VS bras - they fall apart within a year or two. On the other hand, I have La perla bras I bought years ago that look like they did when I bought them. Elle McPherson, Chantalle, Wacoal, etc all do really well. Betsy Johnson reasonable well. All bought on sale, often at 50% off or more (the la perlas were mostly from a sample sale in nYC)

crl
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
As far as i know only the ta ta tamer. I learned about it by reading reviews and have found it to be true. If you stalk the stores you mght get lucky and snag one on sale for $44. They never seem to go on sale online.

Thanks!
Catherine

vludmilla
01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I love my Chantelle bras and I think they hold up remarkably well and are more effective than my old, cheaper bras. I bought the first one at a fitting at Nordstrom at which I discovered my bra size was not 34C but 34DD! How could I possibly be so wrong? And I don't think I look especially well endowed!
Anyway, I've had a lot of luck finding bras at NRack at a good discount.

Simon
01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Add me to the list of difficult size to find, so that does color my perspective.

I keep a mix of IMO super expensive ($60-80) bras and super cheap going at the same time. I have to say the one super expensive bra I've had in the mix for the last several months does give me an excellent shape under my clothing and none of the cheaper bras have done that.

pinkmomagain
01-06-2012, 11:35 PM
If you are well endowed (IMO a c cup or higher) I would pay for a good supportive bra. I also agree with Beth, that I've bought one at Nordies (and written style #s down) and looked for deals on additional ones elsewhere.

DrSally
01-06-2012, 11:41 PM
I got fitted at Nordstrom--fantastic experience. I had dropped a band size once i weaned. I boought one there and then went to NR and found the exact same bra for Under$20, rather tha $50. Since then, i've seen the same one at TJMaxx several times for $18. TJMax is so cheap, i'll buy bras there, and some end up being fantastic and some not so much. The price is so low, it's not a huge loss.

Eta: and i'm a 34 c, so not hard lto fit

mommylamb
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Expensive bras are well worth the money if you are busty. I think nothing of spending upwards of $75-80 on a bra.

Cam&Clay
01-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Getting a fitting at Nordstrom was life changing for me. I thought I was a 42DDD but it turns out I was a 38G. Needless to say, you don't find 38G on the rack at Kohls or Target. I bought a few bras that day and since then I've used eBay.

I have to have expensive bras but I don't HAVE to pay full price. I did order the Lane Bryant deal that was posted this week. I haven't gotten them yet to know if they are okay or not. My favorite brand is Fantasie.

jammytoast
01-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Absolutely worth it. Have an ususual US size (32G) but can easily find these in the UK. Bought a few cheap (~$20) bras the last time I was in London and they stretched out and fell apart in about 6 months (I rotate a lot, hand wash only, etc). From now on, sticking with Freya, Fantasie and sometimes Panache. Ive found them on figleaves and biggerbras on sale for around 40, but happily paid $50+ for a good t-shirt bra.

It sucks paying so much, but there's loads of good construction and Engineering involved in mine, lol.

tarnator
01-07-2012, 01:30 AM
I plan to go for a good fitting once I finish nursing. I will pay the $$ for a good fit. Then stock up with the same one online!

Right now i have about 10 nursing bras because I keep changing size None of them fit well - it really sucks. I feel so much better in a good bra.

bcafe
01-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I have been pg or nursing for the last 9 years. I figure I won't be finished nursing for another 2 years and after that I am treating myself to 2 custom bras. There is a local shop that has "high end" bras and will also do custom bras. I have a larger band size than one would think, especially by looking at me. My rib cage has expanded weirdly and I need a cross between a demi cup and full coverage. Anyway, I honestly can't wait.

DrSally
01-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I have been pg or nursing for the last 9 years. I figure I won't be finished nursing for another 2 years and after that I am treating myself to 2 custom bras. There is a local shop that has "high end" bras and will also do custom bras. I have a larger band size than one would think, especially by looking at me. My rib cage has expanded weirdly and I need a cross between a demi cup and full coverage. Anyway, I honestly can't wait.

My ribcage expanded while preg/nursing too--i even had muscle pains from it, but it all went back to size once i stopped nursing!

pastrygirl
01-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Other -- it's all about fit and comfort. I get fitted at Nordstrom, but have never found a bra that I didn't have to return because it was uncomfortable when I tried it on again at home after a long day. I recently found an inexpensive bra that was VERY comfy for the first few weeks, and then seems to have lost all support. I think I found the perfect bra now, and it was a moderate price ($34). I happened to find the same one for 50% off, so I picked that one up, too. However -- the same bra in other colors did not fit the same! Now I know, I have to try every single one on.

ETA: I'm still nursing, and have discovered that I can still nurse in regular bras, even underwire.

Mommy_Mea
01-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I definitely think it is worth spending the money for slightly better quality materials and fit. The bras will last longer, keep their shape longer, and keep you looking better and more comfortable longer. And in turn you will buy less bras. When I buy cheap bras, I find I don't wear them that often or very long, and just end up buying more cheap bras. Vicious cycle.

Once you find a brand and style you like, you can watch for it on sale or at TJ Maxx, etc.

That said, for my size, I find I like Lane Bryant's bras. I think they are a good compromise between quality and price. And when there is a good sale, you can get them for a great price!

twowhat?
01-07-2012, 10:11 PM

Don't do what I did and assume that a couple months post-weaning you'll be back to your regular size!!! I would hate for you to spend the $$ on custom bras only to find that you needed another few months for breast size to stabilize. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but for me it took a good 6 months and I weaned at 18 months. During which I wasted a lot of $$ buying Lululemon bras that are now too big because I was so ecstatic that they worked for me. My band size also changed pretty drastically - I went from 34 to a 29. So after you wean, I'd buy just a couple bras - enough to get you by until you know for sure that you're down to the size that you will stay.

zag95
01-08-2012, 12:00 AM
depends.....Overall I would say that expensive bras are worth it! Because you don't have to replace them, etc. as quickly. I bought some bras from Playtex- and they are total crap, which is why I am bra shopping now 4 mos later.

In the past, I have bought the Wacoal bras (typically on an Anniversary sale, which still puts them at about 40 bucks each) at Nordies, but didn't this time because my budget was very tight, and I didn't have the money. My cup and band size are on the larger size, so some options are not available to me, and so it can be very frustrating to find something that fits, and is comfortable.

I will not by playtex again.....ever.

CaliMommy
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I used to not care about bras, until I stopped nursing and found that my old ones didn't fit right anymore. Then I got resized at Nordstrom, went down a band size and up a cup size. I bought a Natori bra at Nordstrom during their Anniversary sale and ended up getting two more at Nordstrom Rack two months later when they were ~28 before tax. I really do feel the difference, but I cant bring myself to pay 70 for a bra and will now stalk Nordstrom Rack for deals when I need more. :)

niccig
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I always buy one of the more expensive bras when I get fitted and then go home and find it online for much cheaper and buy a few more.

:yeahthat: I find the size and the brand, and then I head to Marshalls, Ross etc.

luckytwenty
01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I think it's worth it to get fitted and to find a few bras you really feel good in. But there's no law that says you can't buy 1-2 at Nordstrom and then find other ones cheaper at Steinmart, TJ Maxx, etc. I am a 34C, which is probably the most popular size on the planet, but I definitely look much better in bras that fit me well.

trales
01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I love Natori, 50-65 per bra. But love them even more when they go on sale at Garnet Hill. The last forever and are some comfy.

sweetsue98
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
IME you get what you pay for. I'm a victoria's secret girl since I've worked there for 5 years. I've measured so many people wearing the wrong size and the wrong style. Taking care of your expensive bras will keep them in better shape longer. You can machine wash but DO NOT DRY in dryer.