PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a good deal on a dishwasher?

ang79
01-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I've never bought a dishwasher before, ours came with our house when we bought it. And I've strongly disliked it ever since (doesn't clean the dishes well so I pre-rinse/pre-clean everything! And some hoses keep disconnecting underneath and leak water, and now the door hinge has broken). Anyone know of any major stores with upcoming appliance sales? We have a pretty good selection of stores around (Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, HH Greg, etc.) Last time we looked at the local appliance stores for a fridge the prices were much higher than any of the big box stores.

BeachBum
01-06-2012, 08:51 PM
No, I can't answer your specific question...but try to check out a Sears Outlet store if there is one near you. They have merchandise that isn't perfect (some have a dent on the side that would never be seen) and things that are fine but were refused on delivery.
I've had great luck and savings shopping there.
That said, the employees are not educated about what they are selling so do your own homework.

zukeypur
01-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Best buy will be having a sale either later this month or early next month. Sears often has %off if you use your sears card. Other than that, sales don't usually happen until sept or oct according to what I read last week. Ours is horrible too and DH wants a new stove, so we're just replacing everything with stainless sometime this year. Everything is still working ok though, so we are in no hurry. Good luck and let us know what you find!

zukeypur
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh, and Bosch has the best ratings, but I'm a little unclear about how it dries the dishes. There is no heating element.

I cant remember which other brand the Lowes guy recommended.

ang79
01-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the input! Yes, ours is still usable, just a PITA and I'd love to get a new one! Thought I'd start looking and see if I could find any sales. Good to know about Best Buy, I think we have some gift cards to use there. I actually didn't know they sold dishwashers and I asked DH and he didn't think they did either!

After looking around on various websites, HH Gregg seems to have the best pricing. But I hadn't looked at the Sears Outlet and they have a bunch listed on their website for super cheap, including some Bosch. I've always heard good things about Bosch (and that brand in general was recommended at Lowe's when I did a secret shopping assignment for appliances a few years ago). Normally, the Bosch is out of our price range, but some of the outlet prices are doable. Our current one is a Kenmore and I've never been impressed with it. It was fairly new when we bought the house, and even then I felt it didn't clean very well, so I always wash all traces of food off the plates and dishes before loading them in the dishwasher, which kinda ruins the joy and convenience of having a dishwasher to begin with! Anywho, looks like there is a Sears Outlet in Timonium, Baltimore, and Philly, so maybe hubby would be up for a road trip to check these out if the prices are so good :)

Guess I'll be researching dishwasher brands and models online now :)

kellij
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I think the dishwashers like Bosch just use really hot water and you HAVE to use jet dry or some other rinse agent. We got one at our Sears dent and ding at our last house and that's how it worked. It worked really well in my opinion. We were replacing a Maytag that broke after 1.5 year or 2.

overcome
01-07-2012, 07:49 AM
hhgregg

BeachBum
01-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Kitchen aid is highly rated too. We have the KUDE60FV that everyone raves about on GardenWeb. I do think it's great.
One thing to be aware of with the european brands (like Bosch) is that the tines for the plate separators are really close together. I know that sounds really nitpicky, but I read about it on Gardenweb and found it to be true for us as well. Our everyday dishes are thick and they just didn't fit.
Also, yes I think that that is true about the rinse/ dry agent and they do not do well at all with plastics (tupperware and kid dishes) so you have to pretty much hand dry them. I read that on GardenWeb when we were shopping (almost 2 yrs ago) so I don't know first hand.

athompson
01-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Sears Outlet-check all surrounding stores online. DH found a floor model Bosch for $200. It's awesome.

zukeypur
01-07-2012, 11:42 AM
My dishwasher is LOUD, doesn't dry well, and won't clean the dishes is there a much more than a thin film of stuff on them, so a quiet dishwasher that actually washes the dishes and then dries them is a must. I refuse to towel dry any more, and I love my idea plastic kid dishes.

How quiet is your kitchenaid?

zukeypur
01-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Never mind, just looked it up!! 46 decibels!!!!!!

tamar
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I bought from hhgregg because when I asked for the price of a particular it was the same as lowes. I asked why I should buy from them and they looked up the model number, found a better price at another appliance store, and matched that lower price plus the difference between the two!