PDA

View Full Version : Something smaller than the KeyFit30?

amldaley
01-07-2012, 05:34 AM
We have a KeyFit 30 from when DD was born. It was a great seat, except for the cover which made her sweat excessively. But I think it was a bit big for us. Too heavy, too klunky for me when I did have to carry it, and really restrictive on how far our front car seats could go back. (DH is 6' so he actually needs some leg room).

I have an opportunity to sell my seat but am wondering what to replace it with! This just popped up and I am not sure what to do.

Expiry is not until Dec 13. Their LO was born in Nov, so it gets her through her first year. Mine is not coming until Feb, so I will have to move her in to another seat before age 1 if I keep it. (Which will likely be the BLVD DD uses now).

Sell it and get something smaller? But if so, what? Or say no to the friend asking to buy it and keep it as it is a great seat and would be cheaper in the long run for us.

Ideas? Recommendations?

teo
01-07-2012, 05:04 PM
We got the Cybex Aton in part because it is the shallowest seat out there, front to back---we have a subcompact car and the seats go all the way back without touching the seat in both the center and side install positions.

BUT...two big cons: first, price has gone up since we got ours and it wasn't cheap to start. Second, it doesn't work with classic Snap 'n' Gos--you need the new SX, so that could be an added cost if you use that.

Otherwise we really like it, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost over what you have unless the couple of inches will make the difference in driving comfort. It's not much lighter than the Keyfit, either. (I think one of the Snugrides is 7ish pounds, the Aton is 8+, and the Keyfit is 9.)

HTH!

mikala
01-08-2012, 04:51 AM
If you plan to convert baby to a convertible before a year anyway you might look at the smaller Graco snugride. The older version is pretty lightweight but maxes out at something like 22 lbs. I don't know how much money you will really save but a lighter seat would be more manageable after a csection.

ETA: if you go this route make sure you get one with the strap tightener in the front between baby's legs. On their cheaper models they put the strap tightener behind the seat and many reviewers claimed this was a PITA to adjust.

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugRide-Infant-Seat-Oasis/dp/B005V9OKRY/ref=sr_1_9?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1326034466&sr=1-9

Multimama
01-08-2012, 06:37 AM
I was going to suggest the Cybex Aton like PP. While it might not work with the classic snap and go, it does work with any stroller that has Maxi-Cosi adaptors, which means you have a lot more options when it comes to stroller compatibility than you do with the Keyfit.

(I've never owned either, but I know the Cybex is supposed to be very compact in the car.)

amldaley
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Good gracious that Cybex car seat is pricey!!!!!!! But I do like that it works with Maxi Cosi adaptors b/c I read alot of complaints about the Chicco adaptor for the BJCM.

Was also looking at the Britax B-Safe but it doesn't seem THAT much smaller....

Joolsplus2
01-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Good gracious that Cybex car seat is pricey!!!!!!! But I do like that it works with Maxi Cosi adaptors b/c I read alot of complaints about the Chicco adaptor for the BJCM.

Was also looking at the Britax B-Safe but it doesn't seem THAT much smaller....

Yeah, it's not smaller, Key Fit is the shortest front-to-back seat at BRU, if your dh loses legroom in front of that, he'll lose legroom in front of everything (the carseat fits the car, but the passenger doesn't, lol, common problem ;)). Snugrides are still around, and they are lighter than Key Fits, so might be better. Definitely look at the model with the front adjust, as the PP noted. Snugride 30 is more common lately, it fits tiny babies much better and isn't much bigger installed though has much higher weight and height limits.

amldaley
01-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Yeah, it's not smaller, Key Fit is the shortest front-to-back seat at BRU, if your dh loses legroom in front of that, he'll lose legroom in front of everything (the carseat fits the car, but the passenger doesn't, lol, common problem ;)). Snugrides are still around, and they are lighter than Key Fits, so might be better. Definitely look at the model with the front adjust, as the PP noted. Snugride 30 is more common lately, it fits tiny babies much better and isn't much bigger installed though has much higher weight and height limits.

What about the Maxi Cosi Micro? I am not married to BRU...in fact, I only go to look and have purchased all over our seats, strollers and gear elsewhere!

Joolsplus2
01-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I've never known a Mico that installed well in any car...but if you can find a super super good deal on one, it might be worth a shot. (because honestly, I haven't tried to install one in many cars, once bitten, twice shy :ROTFLMAO:)