PDA

View Full Version : Pbk Cameron storage units - good quality?

mollyrryan
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
We have been looking into storage units for our girls' playroom. The PBK Carolina system is 20% off right now. Anyone have input on the quality of this system? I feel like PBK is really hit or miss on stuff and we would have to order this. Thank you!

army_mom
01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I am not sure about carolina but we have these:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/cameron-creativity-cubby-and-open-base-set/?pkey=dbookcases

We do like them and they seem solid (have had them over 2 years and one move) the finish has worn off in spots on a lot of them. We have the espresso finish so it sticks out where it has worn off. Also the wicker baskets that are sold to work with them scratch the finish almost immediately. I don't think I would buy them again and would look for something from Kidkraft as we have had good luck with their quality and can usually find it for about half the cost of PBK.

I do love the chairs that go with all their tables. Very solid, easy to clean, and have held up VERY well.

mollyrryan
01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Thank you - that is what I meant - Cameron. I got it confused with the Carolina chairs we have with our play table.

Mommy2Abby
01-07-2012, 10:09 PM
We have the pieces to this in white, and like pp said, they do scratch a bit, but it is not very noticeable in white. They are very sturdy and attractive. I like them a lot.

mum-to-be
01-08-2012, 12:29 AM
We have them in DS's room in honey, and any scratch does show. Ours have doors, so I like that the toys are not visible. We bought it on clearance, otherwise I could not have justified that price tag. I think it was worth the price we paid (around $180 for 3 cubbies with doors IIRC).

For DD's room we bought an IKEA Expedit 4x2 for much less $ and I actually prefer that. The expedit is nice because it has bigger cubes (taller and deeper, but our Cameron is shelves so they are wider) so you can fit the bigger toys in there (eg FP Little People house, farm). And it is not too kiddie so she could use it for a long time, although given it is IKEA it might not hold up too well to too many moves. The PBK furniture will probably last longer but will probably be outgrown.

If I were to do it all again, I would just buy the Expedits because they can be reconfigured later and used it in other parts of the house.

WatchingThemGrow
01-08-2012, 08:19 AM
We liked buying them as floor models with a coupon - great discounts that way - then not having to worry about adding additional scratches/dents. I also like that they can be configured. We've used the cubbies and bases together and apart. Currently the cubbies are used as shoe/backpack shelves in our staged sunroom and the bases are in our storage unit. I loved that these (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/656368/Office-Depot-Brand-Stackable-File-Tote/) Office Depot boxes (from old BBB sale thread) fit in there perfectly side by side like drawers.

drako
01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
We have the same storage unit in white except with the drawer on the bottom. We also got a good deal on them. I wouldn't buy them again since the paint has chipped off in several spots like others have said. I like the style but the fit and finish for playroom furniture really lacks for the abuse it gets.