PDA

View Full Version : Best skinny jeans -- help me out, please!

Ladybug47
01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I've never worn skinny jeans before, but could use a pair to wear underneath some tall boots. Any recommendations? And I definitely don't want to pay much more than $30. I tried on some Old Navy ones today -- the Sweetheart Skinny jeans, and they don't seem too bad, but with their inconsistent sizing I couldn't find a pair that fit exactly right. For $29.50, I'm willing to keep hunting at different Old Navys. 'Good plan? Other suggestions?

Green_Tea
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I like the Old Navy Rock Star jeans: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=70341&vid=1&pid=730770&scid=730770072

babybell
01-08-2012, 08:22 AM
I just got some Elle skinny jeans from Kohls (online only) and they seem really nice.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/women/elle/bottoms/PRD~902531/ELLE+Skinny+Jeans.jsp

They have tons of sizes. I've never seen long length skinny jeans before! :)

Beth24
01-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Gap Always Skinny Jeans are great. You can usually find them on sale or when they have a 35 or 40% off promotion.

willow33
01-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I just got some Elle skinny jeans from Kohls (online only) and they seem really nice.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/women/elle/bottoms/PRD~902531/ELLE+Skinny+Jeans.jsp

I have these and LOVE them! I found them in store too :)

katydid1971
01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I like the Old Navy Rock Star jeans: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=70341&vid=1&pid=730770&scid=730770072
I had better luck with the sweetheart skinny jeans because they were a little wider in the rear end ;) I really like them and so does DH.
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=70345&vid=1&pid=781348&scid=781348032
ETA: I sized down one size in these jeans.

ray7694
01-08-2012, 01:37 PM
IMO jeans fit everyone differntly. I like jolt jeans from Nordstrom. The most comfortable pair I own are Paige and worth every penny.

nupe
01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
I liked these Canvas slim jeans, and was pleasantly surprised with how they fit me because i am a bit on the hippy side and the waist usually gapes and these were not bad at all. They are not skin tight like some other style I tried on (banana republic, $$$)
http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/SlimLegJeans~203246_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::RND&CM_MERCH=IDX_Sale-_-Women-_-PantsShorts&origin=index

mimi2008
01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I have skinny jeans from many of those suggested above... Elle from kohls, gap skinny, old nav. Others not meentioned yet.... Banana (outlet sale) and believe it or not, forever 21. I got gray skinny for $12 (regular price!). F21 has lots of jeans and even has larger women sizes. worth a look for the price IMHO.

hoodlims
01-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I second the Land's End Canvas, but they are too long for me (5'4). it is a 32" inseam.

mjmamma
01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I second the ON Sweetheart jeans. They are the *only* pair of ON jeans that I own and purchased them after reading a fashion review. They are simple, dark and inexpensive..perfect for everyday wear. I am a 6-8 in jeans and bought the ON 6 ankle and did not have to hem them (I'm 5'2"). I'm also a fan of Gap straight or skinny jeans.

nupe
01-08-2012, 09:37 PM
I second the Land's End Canvas, but they are too long for me (5'4). it is a 32" inseam.

They are a tad long for me too, but fine with boots!

anamika
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/women/elle/bottoms/PRD~902531/ELLE+Skinny+Jeans.jsp (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/women/elle/bottoms/PRD%7E902531/ELLE+Skinny+Jeans.jsp)

Are these or any of the other skinny jeans mentioned high(er) rise? I just do not have the body shape to pull off low rise jeans. I need my jeans to sit above my waist!
I could not find them in store and am thinking of ordering in store.
Thanks.

PAfirsttimemom
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/women/lclaurenconrad/viewall/PRD~830451/LC+Lauren+Conrad+Skinny+Jeans.jsp

I have the Elle jeans mentioned (just wore them today, actually) and this one by Lauren Conrad, also from Kohls. They are a bit over your price, but you can always find a coupon to use for additional $$ off at Kohls.

ETA: I think I would call these both midrise. I don't find them too low at all.

goldenpig
01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Gap Always Skinny are my favorite skinny jeans. I got them during one of the half off sales and they were around $35.

I also have some Old Navy Rockstar Jeggings in colors--red, cobalt and rust orange. Also around $35. Not as nice as the Gap ones but fun to wear colors!

babybell
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a teeny muffin top (mini muffin top?) and the Elle skinnies work for me, FWIW.

Ladybug47
01-09-2012, 12:52 AM
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/women/lclaurenconrad/viewall/PRD~830451/LC+Lauren+Conrad+Skinny+Jeans.jsp

I have the Elle jeans mentioned (just wore them today, actually) and this one by Lauren Conrad, also from Kohls. They are a bit over your price, but you can always find a coupon to use for additional $$ off at Kohls.

ETA: I think I would call these both midrise. I don't find them too low at all.

Of the two, which do you like better?

PAfirsttimemom
01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Of the two, which do you like better?

I like them both. They fit well and are comfortable.

I have the Elle in black, and I did read a review that said the black fit differently from the blue shades. I might agree based on my experience. I got them on clearance last year in black and blue, and I did end up returning the blue because I felt it fit tighter and didn't look as flattering as the black. Something else noted in the reviews that I can confirm is that the Elle is actually marked jegging or legging on the tag, but labeled skinny jean on the Web site. The Elle also has a droopy rear pocket design, so keep in mind that form-fitting tops might not looks the best with these. The LC has a flat, plain pocket in the rear, so tighter tops or sweaters will lay smoothly. Finally, the Elle has a slightly shorter inseam than the LC. So I might give the edge to the LC? I bought both in store, though, so if you can get to a Kohls, try them on and find the one that feels best to you!

ETA: Just checked my black Elle jeans, and they have a flat pocket, whereas the blue ones I had tried had that droopy design. Not sure about this year's model, so I would recommend checking them out in store. One final thing, the Elle "jegging" has fake front pockets versus real ones, so if you prefer more of an actual jean with real pockets, you might prefer the LC.

georgiegirl
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Surprisingly I like the mossimo ones from target the best. They are junior sizes but fit my big hips (big in comparison to my legs and waist).

lmintzer
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I bought a pair of the ON Sweetheart skinnies, too. I have never owned a pair of ON jeans, but I tried them because I was interested in a higher-waisted pair. The fit is like a mid-rise on me, which just perfect. I am 5'2", and even the ankle length is a little long on me, but I just fold them up before I pull on the ol' boots. I went with a size 4 even though I am usually a 6, because the 6 was pretty baggy. I was surpised, because usually 6s are snug on me these days with my recent weight gain. : (

Ladybug47
01-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Okay, it seems like the Lauren Conrads are the winner for me so far! I tried the ON Sweethearts and Rock Stars, and the Sweethearts were too tight in the calf in my size, and the Rock Stars were just too tight overall. The ELLE were comfy, but I think they're too form-fitting and not enough of a "real jean" -- too much like a jegging. My husband likes the Lauren Conrads on me the best because they look like a real jean, so I think I'm going to stick with those. Now I have to decide between the Hana Wash and the Hills Wash...and whether I should keep just one pair or keep two pairs total. One to wear and one to wash?

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions!

I have a ton of returns to do now... :)

DrSally
01-18-2012, 12:49 AM
I'll have to check out the LC jeans. I like the hills wash. I wonder if they have petite version in store.

Ladybug47
01-18-2012, 01:01 AM
I'll have to check out the LC jeans. I like the hills wash. I wonder if they have petite version in store.

DrSally, you seem like a pro shopper, based on the BR thread. :) Any suggestions for long tops or tunics to wear with skinny jeans? Ones that don't break the bank, too...we're on a budget, so I can't go crazy. I have a few tunics from Ann Taylor Loft that I love -- similar to this: http://www.loft.com/loft/product/LOFT-The-Now/LOFT-Layering-Tees-and-Tanks/Space-Dye-Smocked-Bib-Tunic/270457?colorExplode=false&skuId=10396506&catid=cat80002&productPageType=search&defaultColor=9648

I could use a few more options. And I can't wear wool or acrylic, cuz they're too itchy on me, so I have to stick with cotton mostly. Any suggestions?

DrSally
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
I don't have a ton of tunics, but IME, if the top part of the jean is like a regular jean, and just the calf is skinny, then i can wear regular tops.

If you're on a budget, i'd check TJMaxx, all of their sweaters are now on clearance. also OLd Navy. Maybe even Target. I like the one you linked, but it doesn't seem to be tunic length. Is it longer IRL?

my other trick if a top or sweater is too short for the look i want, is to layer a long tank underneith. Either a neutral or a contrasting color. Hth!

Ladybug47
01-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the tips! Yes, the ATL shirts I have are longer than the one pictured but have a similar neckline. I'm so used to wearing bootcut jeans, I feel like I'd feel out-of-proportion if I ever wore skinny jeans without my boots on to balance things out. I can see wearing a cute outfit with skinny jeans and boots and then feeling weird when I have to take off the boots when I go to someone's house and am left essentially with tapered pants on...

PAfirsttimemom
01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Okay, it seems like the Lauren Conrads are the winner for me so far! I tried the ON Sweethearts and Rock Stars, and the Sweethearts were too tight in the calf in my size, and the Rock Stars were just too tight overall. The ELLE were comfy, but I think they're too form-fitting and not enough of a "real jean" -- too much like a jegging. My husband likes the Lauren Conrads on me the best because they look like a real jean, so I think I'm going to stick with those. Now I have to decide between the Hana Wash and the Hills Wash...and whether I should keep just one pair or keep two pairs total. One to wear and one to wash?

Glad the Lauren Conrads worked for you! I have the 30% off coupon right now. Might have to go back to the store and get a pair in another wash. :-)

Ladybug47
01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Was the coupon mailed to you or sent by email?

PAfirsttimemom
01-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Was the coupon mailed to you or sent by email?

Mailed. You can usually find 30% codes posted online, though, if you want to order online.

Ladybug47
01-21-2012, 12:04 AM
I kept one pair of the Lauren Conrad skinny jeans and now I'm wondering whether I am doing my skinny jean shopping correctly... How tight should they actually be on me? The ELLE jeans were basically jeggings and were stretchy and tight but kind-of comfy, I guess, but I didn't keep those for now because my husband thought they looked too much like tights. The Lauren Conrad ones fit like real jeans and aren't super-tight, but when I pair them with knee-high boots they wrinkle up around the knees and a little in the thighs, too. The reason I wanted skinny jeans to begin with was so that I could wear pants with my knee-high B.O.C. Born Martina boots and not have the pants all bunchy above the boots. And I wanted to look cute and European. :) But I'm not sure the Lauren Conrad look is going to help me there.

How tight do you think skinny jeans should be, or does it really just matter what look you're going for?

lmintzer
01-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Those are great questions about skinny jeans. Frankly, I am not getting them right either. I wonder if it's body type--maybe some of us (who are short and curvy/curvier) just aren't meant to wear them. I look terrible in tight pants. As much as I want to wear a tall boot, maybe it isn't worth it? And I always feel like I'm adjusting the pants to make them not wrinkle up. How do some people pull this off so seamlessly? Leggings and a long top are a bit easier to work with, to say the least.

ray7694
01-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Ladybug

IME a legging jean is the only way to get a tight enough fit with a tall boot. You just have to find a legging jean that fits your body type.

calebsmama03
01-21-2012, 01:12 AM

This is my issue with skinny jeans (the legs looking/feeling too tight even tho I wear a 2). My fave are Gap REAL STRAIGHT. They're not a "true" skinny jean but they fit slim enough - I call them my "skinny jeans for those who are getting too old to pull off real skinny jeans". ;) THey are figure hugging but not skin tight. They're a mid to low rise tho, but I've seen them do some in high rise. I have them in my regular size and they're perfect for everyday mom wear and I also just got a size down for a slimmer fit but still without looking or feeling like a sausage. I love them.

babybell
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Based on this thread, I ordered myself some Lauren Conrad skinnies from Kohls. I like them A LOT. I think better than the Elle brand. The LC's are more like jeans, while the Elle are more like jeggings. I'm diggin the look!

Ladybug47
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
I've done a ton of buying and returning now! I actually found some at H&M (called Sqin) that are always priced at $9.95, and I used a 20% off coupon for a grand total of just under $9, which is a price you can't beat. I think they would've worked fine, but of course the quality wasn't making me feel great about them because the jean fabric would've worn out really easily. I ended up returning them, although if they're always at that price I could always grab a pair later again if I think I might still get use out of them.

The other day at Dry Goods I found a pair of skinny style jeans in the normal jean brand I usually gravitate toward, D9, and they were on sale for $29, so this might be the pair I keep! They're super-comfy and have the type of fit I like without being too tight or jegging-like. The quality is good, too, and my only hesitation is the "pocket bling," which sometimes makes me feel like I'm dressing too young for my age (32), but whatever. Maybe I should start a new thread about peoples' thoughts on pocket decorations!