PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo Maestro vs First Years True Fit

MoeJoe
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
1st years TF is on kids woot today. I am looking for a convertible carseat for my 14 mo. I have a TF for my 32 mo.
Should I switch my 32 mo to an Evenflo Maestro and 14 mo to the TF that I have? OR should I just buy a new TF for my 14 mo girl and keep the TF for my 32 mo for the time being?
PLEASE ANSWER, don't want it to get sold out :)
Thanks!

MoeJoe
01-08-2012, 02:28 PM
ARGGHHHH! I go just to eat lunch and come back and it is SOLD OUT! :irked: GRRRRR!
But, now that I have more time to think about it (trying to look on the bright side ;) ), can I have some smart mama's opinions anyway?
Thanks!

o_mom
01-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I would move your older one up and give the younger one the convertible (assuming the 32 mo is FF already). As long as the True Fit you have won't expire before your younger one is ready to turn FF, I think that's the best option.

MoeJoe
01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I would move your older one up and give the younger one the convertible (assuming the 32 mo is FF already). As long as the True Fit you have won't expire before your younger one is ready to turn FF, I think that's the best option.

My older one is ff already and the TF will be more than fine time-wise for the younger one. But, not quite sure what you suggest... You are saying I should go for a HBB option for the older 32 mo and move his down to the baby?
Thanks!

o_mom
01-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes - I would get a combination seat (like the Maestro, Nautilus or Frontier) for the older one. That will keep him harnessed for a couple more years and then you can either convert it to a booster or use it for the younger one and buy a dedicated booster at that point. I think that will get you the most use for the money.

Multimama
01-08-2012, 05:06 PM
My older one is ff already and the TF will be more than fine time-wise for the younger one. But, not quite sure what you suggest... You are saying I should go for a HBB option for the older 32 mo and move his down to the baby?
Thanks!

I think she was suggesting a forward-facing harnessed seat for your 32 month old like the Maestro you originally suggested. (An HBB is a high back booster and you won't want him in one of those for quite awhile! He should definitely stay harnessed.)

I agree that it makes sense to pass down the convertible. Although I don't like the TF very much rear-facing so I'm not sure I would want to pass one down myself just from an install perspective, but since you were thinking about buying a second it must be fine in your car. :)

AnnieW625
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Pass down the convertible and get a Maestro. Keep in mind I have no personal experience with that seat, but I did have two Frontiers and they are really hard for an average size 5 yr. old to buckle themselves into as a belted booster so if you have a small to average size child it will be closer to the age of 7 before they are able to buckle themselves in (per what Jools has said here, and now I have experienced, and I think HUI8 has experienced also with her son who is 7). Now if you plan on harnessing until at least 6 or 7 then yes I think the Frontier will make more sense and it is a wonderful harnessed seat. So my reasons for suggesting the Maestro is that is a much cheaper seat so if it doesn't work as a belted booster you aren't out a whole lot of money.

I might also consider a Frontier if the True Fit will expire anytime before your baby turns 5 yrs. old.

MoeJoe
01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I understand now! Thanks everyone! :)

Joolsplus2
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
While it makes 'long term economic sense' to get a combination for the 2 yo, I don't think it'll be the most comfortable choice. Maestro and Nautilus are quite upright and Maestro doesn't have cushy padding. Great seat, I'm sure kids don't complain, but I just think a wee (or even a huge, cuz, hey, they still sleep in the car and have big ol' heads to hold up :)) 2 yo would be more comfortably supported in a convertible...or a Frontier, which is very reclined and comfy and you could use solely as a harnessed seat for both kids in succession for years to come (my almost 6 yo is still harnessed in hers...we use it as a booster sometimes when I have time to lean over her to buckle it, lol).

MoeJoe
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
While it makes 'long term economic sense' to get a combination for the 2 yo, I don't think it'll be the most comfortable choice. Maestro and Nautilus are quite upright and Maestro doesn't have cushy padding. Great seat, I'm sure kids don't complain, but I just think a wee (or even a huge, cuz, hey, they still sleep in the car and have big ol' heads to hold up :)) 2 yo would be more comfortably supported in a convertible...or a Frontier, which is very reclined and comfy and you could use solely as a harnessed seat for both kids in succession for years to come (my almost 6 yo is still harnessed in hers...we use it as a booster sometimes when I have time to lean over her to buckle it, lol).

Thanks, I was actually thinking along the same lines. Not those specific brands, but the idea. Because we do go on long road trips a few times a year and I'd rather he be comfy to sleep for a time.