PDA

View Full Version : Target Red Card - worth it to have?

wifecat
01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I have seen deals get posted with the red card mentioned (visa, I presume?). Is it worth it to have? What savings do you get?

I love my kohls card, but it's the only store card I regularly use!

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
If you normally shop at Target, then I think it makes sense to get it. I have a basic redcard, not a visa and not attached to my bank account. I like 5% off because I would be buying it anyway- I haven't altered my shopping habits just to save 5%. And, I can help ds1's school earn money when I use it.

Pear
01-08-2012, 03:46 PM
We get 5% off all Target purchases with the red card. I believe that has now expanded nationwide (we were the test area). Basically if I don't use my card I am overpaying so I use it each time we shop.

Multimama
01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I have had a Target Visa Red Card for years and I really love it. The free shipping on Target.com is great because there regular shipping is kind of ridiculous and kills a lot of deals.

As a bonus, I was late with my payment last month and they lifted all the charges when I called and asked. :)

jvs195
01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
I have the debit card and can't believe I didn't do it earlier. I've used it for free shipping online and love the 5% off everytime I shop. Our sales tax is 5% so it kind of balances out, but I figure 5% of my Target purchases can add up.

wifecat
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Seems like I should try and get one...I go into Target for like two things and leave $100 lighter every time I go.

I didn't realize there was a visa and a debit card. Just read about the two on their site - the debit kind of freaks me out. Like, if it gets stolen it's straight from my checking account (eek!). Does that worry anyone else?

Green_Tea
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
the debit kind of freaks me out. Like, if it gets stolen it's straight from my checking account (eek!). Does that worry anyone else?

Well, just like a regular debit card, it requires a pin to use. And the debit option doesn't have a Visa symbol on it, so it can't be used like a credit card. My Target debit card is actually safer than my regular, Visa-branded debit card!

wifecat
01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Another question...does the free shipping work on big items - like furniture? I want to order this: http://www.target.com/p/Sauder-Craft-Armoire-Antiqued-White/-/A-534987

Shipping is over $100 though...anyone know (or could someone with a card test it for me without ordering?). If that takes off shipping I'll run out and get a card today!

doodlesmama
01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Wow, totally didn't know about the debit red card, will definitely be looking into that!!

wifecat
01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, just like a regular debit card, it requires a pin to use. And the debit option doesn't have a Visa symbol on it, so it can't be used like a credit card. My Target debit card is actually safer than my regular, Visa-branded debit card!

Good to know! It may sound stupid, but I haven't used a debit card in years and I totally forgot about the pin. *facepalm*

Kaylee31
01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I have the debit card and can't believe I didn't do it earlier. I've used it for free shipping online and love the 5% off everytime I shop. Our sales tax is 5% so it kind of balances out, but I figure 5% of my Target purchases can add up.

:yeahthat:

:yeahthat: :)

Another question...does the free shipping work on big items - like furniture? I want to order this: http://www.target.com/p/Sauder-Craft-Armoire-Antiqued-White/-/A-534987

Shipping is over $100 though...anyone know (or could someone with a card test it for me without ordering?). If that takes off shipping I'll run out and get a card today!

I tried it, and yes, the shipping cost ($118 for me) was free & deducted from my total. The 10% off code (TGTHTT5Z) also worked on it. I have no idea when the code expires though. Total price for me would have been $305.25 incl. tax.

AnnieW625
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I have the Target Red Card Debit card because I was always writing checks at Target anyways and so I figured what the heck. I now feel stupid that I didn't get it initially as I too was a bit worried about security. I saved $8 today just by using it.

wifecat
01-08-2012, 08:54 PM
:I tried it, and yes, the shipping cost ($118 for me) was free & deducted from my total. The 10% off code (TGTHTT5Z) also worked on it. I have no idea when the code expires though. Total price for me would have been $305.25 incl. tax.

Thank you! I went to Target today and got myself a Red Card! Now I just have to wait for the real thing to come in the mail because it doesn't look like I can use the temporary one online (boo). That craft armoire will be mine!!!

KrisM
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I keep thinking about this too. I think I should go ahead and get the debit card. I definitely don't want another bill to pay, so don't want the visa. I'm doing more and more grocery shopping there as some things are always cheaper there.

NewMom04
01-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Sorry for my ignorance since I only use a credit card. How is it safer than the Visa one?

ang79
01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I've had my Target Red Card for about a year now I think (the Visa). We get all of our prescriptions filled at Target, including 3 that are monthly refills. For every 5 prescriptions I fill there and pay with my Red Card, they send me an additional 5% off one shopping day card to use. I try to use this when I'm either making a really big purchase or am stocking up on things like TP, paper towels, etc. and am spending a lot, so I get the initial 5% off, then the additional 5%, to help rack up the savings :) I shop at Target frequently (can't stand our local Wal-Marts) for everything from paper supplies, clothing, shoes, toys, drug store items, and now basic groceries. I LOVE that I can swing by to pick up a prescription, by whatever else I may need, and also grab fresh produce, bread, milk, etc. and get it all in one stop!

I only have store credit cards for the places that reward me well to use them, and then I do the bulk of my shopping there (Old Navy, Kohls, Target). I pay the monthly balance off and its super easy to pay everything online. I'm also loving that they are now offering free shipping when you pay with a Redcard and that I can do in-store returns if I need to :)

Green_Tea
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Sorry for my ignorance since I only use a credit card. How is it safer than the Visa one?

When you have a Visa (or Mastercard) branded debit card, you can swipe it and use it as you would a credit card - without entering a pin. The Target *debit only* Red card doesn't have the Visa logo on it, and you MUST enter a pin to use it.

Chag78
01-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Does this card have a fee?

lablover
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I finally got the red card a couple of months ago when I bought my iPhone. I am kicking myself for not getting it earlier! Every time the cashier asked me if I wanted to save 5% I always assumed it was just for that initial transaction. I love that the 5% is taken off immediately when you swipe the card. And free shipping is great too.

I don't have a big problem with having multiple credit cards though. We pay everything off on time and with bill pay it isn't time consuming to add another payee. The only downside for me is fitting another card in my wallet!

kozachka
01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Thank you! I went to Target today and got myself a Red Card! Now I just have to wait for the real thing to come in the mail because it doesn't look like I can use the temporary one online (boo). That craft armoire will be mine!!!

Make sure to use your Redcard a few times and not just for a few bucks at Target before attempting to buy the armoire. I got mine so that I could save 5% on an iPad but that day the store did not have my model in stock, so I ended up using it for a small purchase and once again before trying to buy the iPad. Srill Target would not accept it for such a large transaction. Sales guy ran a few times before figuring the maximum amount that I could charge, which in my case was $200. We even called the 800 number on the back re: this situation. No luck even though I had way more money in the account than the cost of the iPad (they can't see it).

connor_mommy
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I get all of my prescription filled at Target. With ever 5 prescription filled, Target will send you a 5% off coupon card to use in addition to the 5% from the red card.

hellokitty
01-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I finally got the red card a couple of months ago when I bought my iPhone. I am kicking myself for not getting it earlier! Every time the cashier asked me if I wanted to save 5% I always assumed it was just for that initial transaction. I love that the 5% is taken off immediately when you swipe the card. And free shipping is great too.

I don't have a big problem with having multiple credit cards though. We pay everything off on time and with bill pay it isn't time consuming to add another payee. The only downside for me is fitting another card in my wallet!

Me too! If I had understood (before reading about it here), that 5% off is for EVERY transaction, heck I should have signed up YEARS ago. I would have saved hundreds of dollars. We also pay off our cc bills every month, so I just use whichever cc gives me the best rewards. My kohls and target cc are my favorite store cc's.

wifecat
01-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Me too! If I had understood (before reading about it here), that 5% off is for EVERY transaction, heck I should have signed up YEARS ago. I would have saved hundreds of dollars. We also pay off our cc bills every month, so I just use whichever cc gives me the best rewards. My kohls and target cc are my favorite store cc's.

Yes! I always thought it was one transaction! I think they need a better tag line to ask you if you're interested!

Multimama
01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
For those of you who regret not signing up earlier, they did not used to offer 5% off of every transaction. They used to offer coupons that they would send you in the mail for 10% off shopping days and they would expire a couple of months after you received them. (They were linked to how much you used your card in some kind of reward system.) So it was a PITA because you had to keep track of the coupon and remember to bring it with you and use it in the time frame. I think they have only had 5% off everything since October or so and free shipping on target.com is an even more recent change.

wifecat
01-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks, everyone! I just got my new redcard, used the 10% off code, got 5% off with the card, and saved $118 on shipping (and got 5.6% back from big crumbs). That Sauder craft armoire is mine!!! I'm so excited to finally have a place of my own to sew and scrapbook!!

alien_host
01-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I just got one this summer and really like it. I have the red "non-visa" card so I can only use it at Target. I pay the bill on-line so no extra check to write/send, but I do have to get in the habit of having the extra bill to pay.

I like how some of their grocery items are cheaper anyway and you save 5%, which is nice.

I haven't made many online purchases, but it's nice that the shipping is free w/out minimum purchase (is this still true, it was before the holidays).

louisaho
01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm hoping someone can answer this. I got my red card and was excited to order a bookshelf bench online without having to pay the shipping. I didn't realise that it was one of those items that couldn't be returned to the store and had to be mailed in for returns. Now I have to return it cos it can't fit under the window.
I went online to print the prepaid return label and no where did it say that the return shipping cost would be deducted from my refund (some websites like Amazon state that clearly when you use their prepaid label). I then checked with a customer service rep who said that I didn't have to worry about the return shipping since the label is prepaid. It sounds too good to be true - free shipping with the red card and then free return shipping? Does anyone have experience?