PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed ASAP...Update in post #18

trcy
01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Ordered and recieved a Britax Blvd from AlbeeBaby. While trying to install we could not get the lock off to close with the seatbelt installation. When we finally were able to close the lock off the seat seemed very lose. The lock off don't look right...seem "stressed" if that make sense. I am not sure what to do and I am freaking out a little. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee if that helps. What can I do; what am I doing wrong? TIA

NCGrandma
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I haven't installed a Blvd but just bought one for my family (also from Albee). Just did some browsing on the Britax website and saw that they have an info sheet about lock-offs and the Blvd70. You'll need to have the DOM to check which set of instructions apply to yours. Hope this helps.

mom2binsd
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Can you post a picture it may help someone diagnose the problem.

AnnieW625
01-08-2012, 09:12 PM
The lockoffs honestly are the worst part of the seat. I thought they were going to break when I first did it and they were a pain to close. With getting the seat tight you need to make sure there is zero slack in the seatbelt. That took some time to do too, but once you finally get it tight the seat doesn't move.

I also just switched DD2's BLVD (and Roundabout 55) from the seatbelt install to the LATCH install and even though I think connecting latch straps in my car (Honda Pilot w/leather) is a pain in a butt, but it is actually easier to get a tighter install using the latch and pulling the straps up through the seat (this was some great BBB advice!).

legaleagle
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
If your seatbelts lock some other way, you can just bypass the lockoffs too. Even if you do use the lockoff, I *think* you only need to use one, not both (not sure which is the one you use, relative the buckle).

AshUVA
01-09-2012, 12:10 AM
using the latch and pulling the straps up through the seat (this was some great BBB advice!).

Can you please share more about this technique?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Ordered and recieved a Britax Blvd from AlbeeBaby. While trying to install we could not get the lock off to close with the seatbelt installation. When we finally were able to close the lock off the seat seemed very lose. The lock off don't look right...seem "stressed" if that make sense. I am not sure what to do and I am freaking out a little. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee if that helps. What can I do; what am I doing wrong? TIA

Did you open both arms of the lockoff? The new seats have 2, you have to open both, put the seatbelts through them, clamp them shut, THEN pull the seatbelt tight. But yeah, alternatively, your belts in a car newer than 1997 lock by themselves, you can probably skip the lockoffs all together (locking latchplate will hold the lap belt tight, the shoulderbelt will always be loose).

trcy
01-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I think we have it in, but I am concerned about the lock off; I just want to be sure it isn't going to break. DH was thinking we should do the LATCH installation as well as the seatbelt, but I am not sure if this is possible. Also, trying to find someone to inspect the installation is turning out to be impossible.

mom2binsd
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
You can do EITHER the latch OR the seatbelt install NOT BOTH....although it sounds like a good idea, it is not tested that way and the seats are not designed to perform in a crash with both installs at the same time.

Over at car-seat.org there is a way to pull up a list of techs in your area, some "techs" that you find in the phone book are often out of date and the folks on this board know their stuff (many are techs and very up to date!).

legaleagle
01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
using the latch and pulling the straps up through the seat (this was some great BBB advice!).

Can you please share more about this technique?

Sorry, can't figure out how to nest quotes. For this, instead of pulling on the latch straps from the outside of the seat, feed the straps through the slots in the side where the seatbelt goes and pull from the inside. (The slots are big but kind of covered by the padding, so just feel around if you don't see them immediately, you don't need to flip up the cover at all,) It gives you a much better angle to pull since you're pulling in line with the mechanism instead of at an angle with it.

arivecchi
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Did you open both arms of the lockoff? The new seats have 2, you have to open both, put the seatbelts through them, clamp them shut, THEN pull the seatbelt tight. :yeahthat:

Make sure you opened both arms. I was having a really hard time with my Roundabout until I realized that I was not opening one arm of the lockoff mechanism.

trcy
01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Did you open both arms of the lockoff? The new seats have 2, you have to open both, put the seatbelts through them, clamp them shut, THEN pull the seatbelt tight. But yeah, alternatively, your belts in a car newer than 1997 lock by themselves, you can probably skip the lockoffs all together (locking latchplate will hold the lap belt tight, the shoulderbelt will always be loose).
We did open both arms of the lockoff, but still it seemed very hard to close. And the lockoff seems a little "beat up" from our efforts. The seat seems to be in and secure, but I am nervous about the lockoff; I hope it is not damaged to a point where it would break/fail if there was to be an accident. My vehicle is newer than 1997, but I don't follow what you said about not using the lockoff. Would the seat be secure without the lockoff. I would feel a lot better if I could have it inspected. The city that checked our infant seat now will only do for residents of that city (nice, right!?). Our city is very small and has no one that does it; A larger city next to us has no one to inspect. I did have luck with a city about 15 miles away; just waiting for the guy to call me back...keep your fingers crossed for me.

legaleagle
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes, if the seatbelts are locked at the retractor (or latchplate), the seat will be secure without the lockoffs. I hope you can find someone to inspect it though, for your peace of mind.

NCGrandma
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I haven't installed a Blvd but just bought one for my family (also from Albee). Just did some browsing on the Britax website and saw that they have an info sheet about lock-offs and the Blvd70. You'll need to have the DOM to check which set of instructions apply to yours. Hope this helps.

Finally got a chance to check this while I was NOT on my iPod -- here's the instruction sheet: http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/products/additional-resources/17.pdf Depending on the DOM, you may need to use either both lock-offs or a single lock-off.

jjordan
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
It's okay if the lockoff breaks in an accident, because the seatbelt will automatically lock in a crash. The lockoff is just to hold the seat tightly in up to the point of an accident.

trcy
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
It's okay if the lockoff breaks in an accident, because the seatbelt will automatically lock in a crash. The lockoff is just to hold the seat tightly in up to the point of an accident.
Ok, thanks...that makes me feel much better.

AshUVA
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Sorry, can't figure out how to nest quotes. For this, instead of pulling on the latch straps from the outside of the seat, feed the straps through the slots in the side where the seatbelt goes and pull from the inside. (The slots are big but kind of covered by the padding, so just feel around if you don't see them immediately, you don't need to flip up the cover at all,) It gives you a much better angle to pull since you're pulling in line with the mechanism instead of at an angle with it.

Thank you!!!

trcy
01-12-2012, 03:45 PM
So I finally found someone inspect the car seat.....and it is in right :bighand: Thank you for all of your help!