PDA

View Full Version : Pantyhose + Peeptoe = ?

pinkmomagain
01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Fashion disaster? Warmer toes?

I'm going to be wearing peep toe pumps with a dress this weekend and the weather will be in the 30s. Is it OK for me to wear nylons with an invisible reinforced toe? In other words, a seam wouldn't show.

TIA!

ETA: Link to the shoes (but they are silver color)...all enclosed except the little peep toe....
http://www.ninewest.com/Danee/6220165,default,pd.html?variantColor=LTGLGSY&variantWidth=M&ep_tag=NWiprospect_GoogleProduct

Fairy
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Pantyhose are a fashion no all day, every day, all shoes, every shoe, every season every everything. Tights? Sure. Patterned hose? Yep. Black hose? Possibly. Hose hose? NO. So, that would be a no on the peep toes, too, if it were me.

Twoboos
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Pantyhose are a fashion no all day, every day, all shoes, every shoe, every season every everything. Tights? Sure. Patterned hose? Yep. Black hose? Possibly. Hose hose? NO. So, that would be a no on the peep toes, too, if it were me.

:yeahthat: Nylons showing though peeptoes screams old lady to me.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again - a thin little bit of nylon is just not going to keep your toes any warmer!!

You'll be cold either way, but look better with no 'hose. :wink2:

wellyes
01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Didn't you-all hear, Kate Middleton made nude hose ok again.
THANK GOODNESS!

But personally, I wouldn't wear peep toes in cold weather.

MissyAg94
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't wear hose with peep-toe shoes but with other shoes, I don't think they are the fashion disaster that some think they are.

mjmamma
01-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes with tights, colored semi sheer or opaque. I agree w/Fairy...say no to (nude, etc) hose!

katydid1971
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
THANK GOODNESS!

:yeahthat:

Kindra178
01-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Guys, I have said it before and I will say it again. Legwear/hosiery is VERY in. Pick up an US Mag or InStyle. You will see that the stars are all wearing hosiery of all kinds, including black stockings and tights, with peep toes and sandals.

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20214496_20214497_20488421,00.html

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Guys, I have said it before and I will say it again. Legwear/hosiery is VERY in. Pick up an US Mag or InStyle. You will see that the stars are all wearing hosiery of all kinds, including black stockings and tights, with peep toes and sandals.

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20214496_20214497_20488421,00.html

:thumbsup: right. I think anything goes! The real world is rarely full of fashionistas either, unless you live in certain places, so it really, really doesn't matter. :)

TwinFoxes
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM

I think tights and opaque hose CAN look good. But just regular nude hose and peep toes? Ick. I haven't seen that look in the fashion mags yet, but maybe I missed it. But I also think that you have to look like it's on purpose, it has to be in keeping with the style of dress/shoe/PERSON. If my MIL shoes up in peep toes and any sort of hose, I don't care how often it's in Style, people will think "don't" not "do". :)

ETA: Add me to the list of people who don't believe that a sheer pair of hose will keep you warm, even slightly. Tights yes, nylons? Nope (unless they're worn as a layer).

arivecchi
01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't think that would look great - especially with a silver shoe. I would just wear the peep-toe shoe, your fabulous dress and a fabulous coat. I assume you are driving to the event? If so, there is no reason to wear hose. I would consider tights in a more casual setting - but not hose.

Disclaimer - I would never wear hose even if you paid me to do so! ;)

*myfoursons
01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I think tights and opaque hose CAN look good. But just regular nude hose and peep toes? Ick. I haven't seen that look in the fashion mags yet, but maybe I missed it. But I also think that you have to look like it's on purpose, it has to be in keeping with the style of dress/shoe/PERSON. If my MIL shoes up in peep toes and any sort of hose, I don't care how often it's in Style, people will think "don't" not "do". :)

ETA: Add me to the list of people who don't believe that a sheer pair of hose will keep you warm, even slightly. Tights yes, nylons? Nope (unless they're worn as a layer).

Nude nylons and peep toes are a big no. If you have a fashion-forward style, you could get away with a bold-colored pair of tights with a peep toe, but I agree with above that it has to look very intentional. I would just break out the self-tanner and go bare legged.

AshleyAnn
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
THANK GOODNESS!

No she did not. One famous woman wearing them does not mean the the rest us dont think they are outdating and unacceptable

liz
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
The real world is rarely full of fashionistas either, unless you live in certain places, so it really, really doesn't matter. :)

:yeahthat: I wouldn't do hose and peep toe shoes though, just my humble opinion :)

Sheer, nude hosiery has its place and yes, for me hose DOES make my feet warmer, but that's because I have the circulation of a 70 year old woman...my feet are always cold in the winter!

KrisM
01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I am not a fashion person at all. I do not understand how people can wear shoes barefoot. I tried. I guess if I had to, I'd have to size up 1-2 sizes to a 11 or 12? No way could I cram my foot in a shoe without something helping it slide in. Yikes. So, I'd wear hose and buy new shoes. I wouldn't wear peep-toe shoes with hose.

ZeeBaby
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Black very sheer stockings with peep toe are ok IMHO. I would try them on with the hose before committing. I would not wear hose myself, but don't think it is a huge faux pas either.

ett
01-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I would not wear hose with peep toe shoes, but then I would not wear peep toes shoes in the winter either.

pinkmomagain
01-09-2012, 11:40 PM
This has been fascinating for me. I'm surprised I have not faced this issue sooner, but alas, I go nowhere too exciting to dress up and haven't had to dress for the workplace in almost 13 years. Posed this question on FB and got similar responses. Some talked about toeless super sheer hose...I will look into that only because these shoes are pretty uncomfortable for me without some foot coverage. However, I'm also going to start in on the self tanner in case I can figure out a way to make things more comfortable if I were to try to go barefoot in the shoe....

Fairy
01-10-2012, 02:08 AM

Yes, there are levels of style that one can attain. I love In Style, and I watch it closely. I'm a fashionable girl. But there are realistic styles I can attain and some I can't. I think if the average Joe wears nude hose, it's a don't. Period. If Kate Middleton does it, there's a purposeful do happening there that she has an access to that Twin's MIL just don't got.

Fairy
01-10-2012, 02:10 AM
This has been fascinating for me. I'm surprised I have not faced this issue sooner, but alas, I go nowhere too exciting to dress up and haven't had to dress for the workplace in almost 13 years. Posed this question on FB and got similar responses. Some talked about toeless super sheer hose...I will look into that only because these shoes are pretty uncomfortable for me without some foot coverage. However, I'm also going to start in on the self tanner in case I can figure out a way to make things more comfortable if I were to try to go barefoot in the shoe....

This is a serious issue for me, as well, which is why if hose was in and doable I would not be opposed to it. I think it's *not* however, so that's it for that. But I hear you on this dilemma. As a result, there are just some shoes I don't wear. Or i walk around in the wrong shoes all day until the one meeting I have and slip them on uncomfortably. I have three pairs of shoes in my car ...

Fairy
01-10-2012, 02:11 AM
No she did not. One famous woman wearing them does not mean the the rest us dont think they are outdating and unacceptable

Actually, I think one person can definitely change the direction of fashion. So, I'll be watching her.

daniele_ut
01-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I have a great pair of Sofft peep toe pumps and in the winter I've worn then with toeless buff colored hose. I make no apologies!

fivi2
01-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, in the great pantyhose debate, I firmly believe that pantyhose are necessary in certain situations. I am not talking that weird suntan color, but a lightish "nude" color, absolutely. I don't care if some people don't like it - there are situations where it is more of a faux pas to wear tights or go bare. (imo)

However, *I* would not wear peep toe shoes in cold weather. And I would never, ever, ever wear pantyhose with a peep toe. Perhaps the toeless kind mentioned by some, I am not familiar with those. But regular hose - no way no how.

khalloc
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I thought Kate Middleton didnt have a choice. Arent bare legs a huge no-no for the royal family? I bet she would have worn bare legs if she could have.

I would not wear nude hose.

TwinFoxes
01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I thought Kate Middleton didnt have a choice. Arent bare legs a huge no-no for the royal family? I bet she would have worn bare legs if she could have.

Exactly. I also won't be wearing a tiara anytime soon. ;)

MissyAg94
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, in the great pantyhose debate, I firmly believe that pantyhose are necessary in certain situations. I am not talking that weird suntan color, but a lightish "nude" color, absolutely. I don't care if some people don't like it - there are situations where it is more of a faux pas to wear tights or go bare. (imo)

However, *I* would not wear peep toe shoes in cold weather. And I would never, ever, ever wear pantyhose with a peep toe. Perhaps the toeless kind mentioned by some, I am not familiar with those. But regular hose - no way no how.

khalloc
01-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Can you share some situations where you feel like not wearing hose would be a faux pas? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks!

fivi2
01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Can you share some situations where you feel like not wearing hose would be a faux pas? I am genuinely curious.

Thanks!

An event at my stepmother's fancy pants (very southern) country club

In a courtroom in rural Texas

Biglaw job interview in the south

Black tie fundraiser in the south.

Ymmv, of course, but I would never go bare or in tights to the above, off the top of my head...

wellyes
01-12-2012, 03:23 PM

I would not wear nude hose.

Eh, heirs to the throne marrying non-virgins is a huge no-no too. Times change.

I work in a conservative (big$$) industry in Boston and I see nude hose regularly. Probably more hoseless than nude hose, but it is not faux pas either way.

Kindra178
01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
An event at my stepmother's fancy pants (very southern) country club

In a courtroom in rural Texas

Biglaw job interview in the south

Black tie fundraiser in the south.

Ymmv, of course, but I would never go bare or in tights to the above, off the top of my head...

In the past year, I have worn tights to several black tie Chicago events (with platform peep toes), interviews, depositions and federal court rooms in NYC, Chicago, and Denver. I don't think I would bare legged to any interview for a legal job, and I would not appreciate if someone I was interviewing went bare legged. Pants suits would be fine though.

fivi2
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
In the past year, I have worn tights to several black tie Chicago events (with platform peep toes), interviews, depositions and federal court rooms in NYC, Chicago, and Denver. I don't think I would bare legged to any interview for a legal job, and I would not appreciate if someone I was interviewing went bare legged. Pants suits would be fine though.

I don't see people wearing tights in the places I have lived (for formal events. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just that I haven't noticed the tights much) And back when I did litigation (it has been awhile) there were judges who were rumored to have an issue with female attorneys in pants. I never tested it, but that was the word from the grapevine...

Anyway, ymmv, but pp asked me for examples, and those are places I wouldn't wear tights or go bare (or wear pants) ...