PDA

View Full Version : Buying a plane ticket for someone who isn't born yet?

BabyBearsMom
01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm 26 weeks preggo and we are in the process of planning a trip this summer. DD2 is due in April and we have a family reunion in July. DH and I want to book flights soon because flights to this area get very expensive in the time frame of our trip. We are using Amex points to book the trip and blackout periods tend to pop up in the time frame as well. Can I buy a plane ticket for someone who doesn't technically exist yet? What happens if our ultrasound tech was somehow wrong (highly unlikely since DD2 gave us the money shot during the ultrasound) and we end up using a name other than the name we have planned? TIA!

Fairy
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Wow. Dude, that's a fantastic question. My DH is a travel expert. I'm going to ask him right now ...

kaharris83
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I know if you call the airline directly they will help you book a ticket for an unborn child and have you call back with the name and details after you deliver. The TSA requires date of birth when booking a ticket now and you most likely don't know that yet, unless you are having a planned c-section. Not sure how it would work if you're booking with AMEX points though.

crl
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Buy two seats for one of the adults and take the baby as a lap baby. That's what we did when we adopted ds from China and wanted him to have a seat but the ine way airfare was more than a round trip ticket. (Do US airlines charge for lap babies? I had to pay a lap baby fee on the way home because ds didn't technically have a ticket.)

Catherine

Fairy
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
See, now I'm just totally not a supporter of lap baby flying, but that's me. so, that wouldn't work for me. If you could manage that and you don't mind, that's a way to do it.

crl
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
See, now I'm just totally not a supporter of lap baby flying, but that's me. so, that wouldn't work for me. If you could manage that and you don't mind, that's a way to do it.

Oh, if you meant that in response to me, I was not suggesting that at all. If you buy two seats for one of the adults, then you have an extra seat and that's where the baby goes! The catch might be if you have to pay a lap baby fee too or not because the baby technically won't have a ticket. I ended up paying for two seats for me, one is where ds traveled. But I also ended up paying a lap baby fee because ds did not technically have a ticket of his own. That was international travel though, not sure how it would play out domestically with the lap baby fee.

Hope that makes sense,
Catherine

BabyBearsMom
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh, if you meant that in response to me, I was not suggesting that at all. If you buy two seats for one of the adults, then you have an extra seat and that's where the baby goes! The catch might be if you have to pay a lap baby fee too or not because the baby technically won't have a ticket. I ended up paying for two seats for me, one is where ds traveled. But I also ended up paying a lap baby fee because ds did not technically have a ticket of his own. That was international travel though, not sure how it would play out domestically with the lap baby fee.

Hope that makes sense,
Catherine

Hmmm this is an interesting idea. I don't think the airline we are flying charges for lap babies. Just checked and they don't. I will give it a try. Thanks

TwinFoxes
01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Hmmm this is an interesting idea. I don't think the airline we are flying charges for lap babies. Just checked and they don't. I will give it a try. Thanks

Actually, I think it's the opposite domestically, I think you can get a cheaper baby rate.

Like PP said, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the airline will make a reservation for you, you just have to call the later with the info.

How jet setter!

YouAreTheFocus
01-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I was able to book a ticket for my son before he was born on Southwest. They used "Baby" as his first name and the due date for DOB. Then after he was born I called back and updated the information. It was not a problem. I was also able to get the infant fare by calling in (AFAIK they are the only domestic airline that has infant fares).

Multimama
01-09-2012, 04:13 PM
When I wanted to book a ticket for my unborn child I was told no absolutely not. You not only have to know their name to book the ticket but also their birthday. So unless you were having a scheduled c-section it was not possible to even attempt it.

But I was buying an international ticket. It may be different for domestic flights where the government does not gather as much information on passengers.

Regulations have also been changing rapidly to make this less and less possible so if people have had success in the past it does not necessarily mean that it is possible now. I read in another thread CRL's solution of buying two seats for one of the adults and thought it was brilliant. That is what I would try if I had to do it again.