PDA

View Full Version : Where does your little baby sleep when you fly somewhere?

BabyBearsMom
01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
We are going on a trip when DD2 will be 2.5 months. We are flying and I don't want to lug the PNP or Co-Sleeper for her if at all possible. DD1 will be sleeping in her Peapod. I'd like something where I could keep DD2 close to my bed, but I'm not comfortable with her sleeping directly in the bed with DH and I. Anything inexpensive, light weight and packable that would work for a 2.5 month old?

I'm considering something like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11345255 to lay on the bed between DH and I

♥ms.pacman♥
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
we have DD sleep in a Baby Bjorn travel crib (got recommendation here). We check it with our luggage. It's MUCH easier to pack up and set up than a PnP. DD sleeps in that, and DS either sleeps in a PnP that grandma or whoever provided at our destination.

rin
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Are you taking a stroller that has a bassinet?

edurnemk
01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
we have DD sleep in a Baby Bjorn travel crib (got recommendation here). We check it with our luggage. It's MUCH easier to pack up and set up than a PnP.

:yeahthat: But it's expensive. With DS at 2.5 months he slept in a PnP when we traveled but I hate that thing, I vowed to find something better for the next baby, and now we're definitely getting the Baby Bjorn travel crib for this one (although we also have the Vista bassinet, but the travel crib will last longer). There's also one by Phil and Teds that's slightly cheaper.

The bassinet you linked to looks nice.

hillview
01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
We co slept -- usually we'd get a room with 2 doubles so I'd cosleep and DH would sleep solo til DS1 woke up and then they'd sleep/snuggle together.

BabyBearsMom
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
we have DD sleep in a Baby Bjorn travel crib (got recommendation here). We check it with our luggage. It's MUCH easier to pack up and set up than a PnP. DD sleeps in that, and DS either sleeps in a PnP that grandma or whoever provided at our destination.

I've looked at this and the P&T and it's a lot more than I want to spend. We already have a PNP, an arms reach cosleeper and a peapod. Buying another full sized portacrib would send my DH over the edge. I'd like to do this for under $50.

We will bring our double stroller (which i think will be the b-ready) but I'm not planning to buy the bassinet. I baby wear a lot in the first few months so for us a bassinet just wouldn't get much use.

elektra
01-09-2012, 09:08 PM
When we went to Hawaii for 2 weeks when DS was 6 weeks, we lugged the pack n play because I also did not want to buy anything else or chance borrowing anything from the condo/hotel for such a little baby. Although, I had been eyeing the bjorn crib. I wish I would have just gotten it though! There have been now I think 3 other trips where we could have used it. It's hard to justifiy the cost, I know, and we have obviously survived without it.

And then I would just take DS into the bed with me a lot too and cosleep I guess, although I never feel like I really "slept", it was more of me dozing while holding DS next to me.

TwoBees
01-09-2012, 09:33 PM
When we flew this past summer, we checked the PnP as baggage.

mom3boys
01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Are you going to a hotel or somewhere else?

When my 3 mo DS stayed at a hotel, we used the PnP provided by the hotel.
When I flew to and stayed at a rented house, we used a baby rental company which provided a PnP

This will sound ridiculous, but when we took any DS to my MIL's when they were still tiny, they slept in a drawer :bag. Yep, a drawer from the dresser. She would put some padding in the bottom and she had a set of bassinet/cradle size bumpers to put around the edge. I am not usually a fan of bumpers but DS were tiny, swaddled, not rolling, etc. they weren't going anywhere. She has 12 grandchildren and I believe nearly all of them slept in that drawer at one time or another.

ETA: Obviously we put the drawer on the floor, we didn't leave it in the dresser!

123LuckyMom
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I LOVE the drawer idea! I think as long as the padding were tucked really tightly around the edges it would be fine! We always brought a cheap PnP and checked it as luggage. My husband begged for the Baby Bjorn travel crib because it was so much lighter. If I had to do it over again, I'd suck it up and spend the money on the lightest weight option. Having said that, I'm due again in March, and I won't be buying it, so...

What about going in with a friend or two to buy the Bjorn? You can all agree to use it only for travel. Another idea is to buy a travel pack of Bed Bug bumpers (http://www.gobedbug.com/) and create a safe sleeping area on the floor or the middle of an extra bed. They're a bit bulky to travel with, but they're super lightweight, and you may want them later anyway when your child is ready to transition to a bed.

mmommy
01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Pre-rolling we put DD on a not at all fluffy blanket on the floor.

amldaley
01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
We're asking for this on DD2's registry

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3977276

and there is also this one...

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Secure-Sleeper-Colors/dp/B00012CHFI

(Looks like Amazon links to other similar products but these are the only two I have seen myself)

BabbyO
01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm a little late to chime in here...but I'd consider taking our Suggle Me Cushion. http://www.simplymommyonline.com/

It is light, fairly compact and $60 for the cushion & 1 cover. Plus we used it all the time for DS1. DS2 doesn't like it as much for when he's awake, but we used it to co-sleep between DH & I last week when DS2 was sick and waking all night long. Worked beautifully in our queen sized bed. We also take this (instead of PNP) when visiting family & friends.

My only concern is that I'm not sure how it would pack...It is flexible, so you might be able to stuff it into a bag.

mackmama
02-01-2012, 06:53 PM
When we flew this past summer, we checked the PnP as baggage.

:yeahthat: It worked out well - have done it a few times. We just put it in a duffel bag.