PDA

View Full Version : Are these safe?

BabyBearsMom
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
My MIL but DD some of these for Christmas: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3557154

Personally, I think it is one of those things that aren't really necessary, but DH thinks they would be nice so we aren't pulling of the seat cover to wash it in case of accidents. I am strongly of the opinion that anything that doesn't come with the car seat shouldn't be in the car seat except for the baby. But DH pointed out that the package says, in big letters, "Crash Tested" so in his mind it is safe. Any thoughts on these?

mommylamb
01-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't know, but I was looking at the JJ Cole Bundle me I got yesterday, and it also says it's crash tested and safe for use in the car, but I thought that wasn't the case too.

rin
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd probably be fine with it, provided it's not super padded. My understanding is that thin fleeces are ok to wear in a carseat, so if the piddle pad is about that thickness I'd be ok.

wellyes
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
How would it be unsafe? Certainly if you have to loosen the belts to make it fit, that would be an issue. But a thin layer of fabric under the bum shouldn't make a bit of difference that I can think of.

I never used them though. I imagine any accident that would warrent it would require a full cover wash anyway.

edurnemk
01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Crash tested (by who?) doesn't mean it's approved for use with your car seat. That said, with the piddle pad, I think I'd be OK, they're pretty thin and don't interfere with the harness, I think.

BTW we have the piddle pad but never used it, and DS has never had an accident in the car.

mom2binsd
01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I think because it goes around the buckle that it may not be as recommended, like you said if it didn't come with the seat it shouldn't be used.

Honestly I don't think they are totally necessary.

As for the BundleMe, that crash test statement is about as valid as...well nothing, it has not been tested with every seat and therefore is not safety tested and shouldn't be used. There are better options like the shower cap style that do not interfere with any harness straps or fit.

jerigirl
01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I have these and feel that they are thin enough to not affect the use of the harness or buckles. I bought them initially when DS1 was potty training. And then started using them for DS2 in the bucket seat, when I realized he was blowing out a diaper almost every day for a period of time. They definitely saved me a few times from having to wash my infant seat cover. Now we mostly use them on longer rides/ car trips JIC DS1 falls asleep for a long period of time or we can't stop in time.

HIU8
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I had one of these. It does not interfere with the harness at all. HOWEVER, it doesn't work at all either. DD, while PT, would go and it would go right through it to the carseat cover anyway. I ended up cutting a waterproof pad (the felt ones) to fit and not go around the harness at DD's thighs. It was thinner and actually worked much better for it's intended purpose.

BayGirl2
01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
We have one that is similar but the buckle doesn't thread through it. The buckle hole part would concern me a bit. But the thickness of ours is thinner than a pair of jeans and not slippery so I consider it a minimal risk.

DS has been potty training forever and does still have accidents a lot, especially on the weekends. So far he's only had one in the car and it was when the piddle pad wasn't under him, go figure.