PDA

View Full Version : If your Costco has discontinued its Kirkland organic peanut butter...

garnetgirl
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
...what do you use instead? I'm kind of annoyed that Costco has, in our area at least, discontinued their organic peanut butter--yet another organic "staple" product we have lost there (first the brown rice, then the whole wheat spaghetti, then the Omega-3 eggs, then the frozen raspberries...grrr!). I'm especially annoyed that I didn't notice they were discontinuing the peanut butter; I would have stocked up.

Anyway, we're down to our last 1/3 of a jar, and I'm trying to decide which peanut butter to buy next, from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or somewhere else. We liked that the Kirkland organic was creamy and pretty easy to stir (I recall Trader Joe's version giving me arm cramps a few times when we bought that prior to joining Costco). For now we're looking to stay with organic.

Does anybody have suggestions? Thanks!

brittone2
01-09-2012, 07:21 PM
There's like a major nationwide shortage of organic peanuts right now IIRC. My TJs had signs up and they've been OOS on organic valencia for ages. It may not be in costco's control and they may get it back in stock once the shortage improves. My WFs stock hasn't been super reliable either.

Apparently it isn't limited to organics. I'm sure the shortage made it difficult for costco to negotiate a stellar price.
http://news.yahoo.com/peanut-shortage-sending-peanut-butter-prices-201434050.html

essnce629
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes, my mom was telling me about the shortage and how her Costco didn't have the peanut butter any more and then mine stopped carrying it too.

I bought the TJ's non-organic creamy unsalted kind last and don't like it, so don't get that one! I had some on celery last night and it tasted like nothing! I really like the Whole Foods 365 brand of organic unsalted, which is what I used to buy before and will start buying again I think. I prefer unsalted, but they have a salted version too. So that's my vote.

garnetgirl
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
There's like a major nationwide shortage of organic peanuts right now IIRC. My TJs had signs up and they've been OOS on organic valencia for ages. It may not be in costco's control and they may get it back in stock once the shortage improves. My WFs stock hasn't been super reliable either.

Apparently it isn't limited to organics. I'm sure the shortage made it difficult for costco to negotiate a stellar price.
http://news.yahoo.com/peanut-shortage-sending-peanut-butter-prices-201434050.html

Thanks for this info! If I had read that news before, it completely slipped my mind. I AM aware of the organic milk supply issues, and that one concerns me more.

I think the organic peanut butters tend to taste better than the conventional ones with simple ingredients (peanuts, salt), but otherwise maybe organic isn't so important where peanuts are concerned?

brittone2
01-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks for this info! If I had read that news before, it completely slipped my mind. I AM aware of the organic milk supply issues, and that one concerns me more.

I think the organic peanut butters tend to taste better than the conventional ones with simple ingredients (peanuts, salt), but otherwise maybe organic isn't so important where peanuts are concerned?

Well, I liked the TJ organic valencia because some sources say valencia peanuts are naturally lower or more resistant to aflatoxin, which is thought by some to be possibly a carcinogen. Since the price is right, and they are both organic *and* valencia, I liked TJs (sometimes salted, sometimes unsalted). We did buy Costco's a good bit when it was available (which doesn't specify valencia, and I don't freak out about it, but yeah, it is nice that TJs has an organic valencia option. I don't think our TJs has any organic PB at all right now.) Right now we've been buying the Maranatha almond butter from Costco (not organic).

MommyofAmaya
01-09-2012, 07:39 PM
After being gone for a long while, costco replaced their (perfect) organic peanut butter with non-organic. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it will be just as "no-stir" but without being organic. I'm totally bummed too, but I think we will try it next time around and just hope that when the shortage is over they will be able to negotiate a good price on the organic peanuts.

garnetgirl
01-09-2012, 07:47 PM
After being gone for a long while, costco replaced their (perfect) organic peanut butter with non-organic. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it will be just as "no-stir" but without being organic. I'm totally bummed too, but I think we will try it next time around and just hope that when the shortage is over they will be able to negotiate a good price on the organic peanuts.

Yes, shortly after Costco confirmed the organic p.b. was discontinued, I noticed the new product. The jars are slightly bigger, and the two-pack costs a dollar or so more than the organic did, but ... the label is prettier! I guess that's something.

garnetgirl
01-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Well, I liked the TJ organic valencia because some sources say valencia peanuts are naturally lower or more resistant to aflatoxin, which is thought by some to be possibly a carcinogen. Since the price is right, and they are both organic *and* valencia, I liked TJs (sometimes salted, sometimes unsalted). We did buy Costco's a good bit when it was available (which doesn't specify valencia, and I don't freak out about it, but yeah, it is nice that TJs has an organic valencia option. I don't think our TJs has any organic PB at all right now.) Right now we've been buying the Maranatha almond butter from Costco (not organic).

Wow, thanks again for the info! I feel like such a peanut slouch.

nrp
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
We bought the new Costco PB last week and tried it yesterday. It is Valencia and stirs easier than the old organic version. Too runny at room temp but perfect after being chilled. I like it.

HIU8
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I bought it and returned it after opening. The label says "natural", but I have tasted natural pb that is far better.

Nu_mama
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
We bought the new valencia non-organic two pack from Costco and have enjoyed it so far.

daisymommy
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
I AM aware of the organic milk supply issues, and that one concerns me more.

Oh do tell! I hadn't heard. But I guess that would explain why a gallon of organic milk has gone up by $1.50 ?! I've been stumped on that one for months, but perhaps that's why?