PDA

View Full Version : #%#@$% 1st Grade Math homework... does this make sense to everyone?

artvandalay
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Or am I dense? :6:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/13265991/23888854/400445011.jpg

The answers to #1 were traced, so they are correct. Questions 2 and 3 were done in the classroom today together so they are supposedly correct as well.

My son has to do the next page (I didn't take a pic) but it is the same as this "Guided Practice".

To me, this is really unclear. For #1, to go from the purple sphere to the pink rectangle, you are to go one space right and two down.

I get moving one space right. But then you go two down? How do you come to that conclusion when the pink rectangle is not in any one square? It is in the center of four squares.

And, questions #2, and #3 are just as crazy.

Maybe this belongs in bp... I dunno.

cdlamis
01-09-2012, 08:28 PM
It makes sense to me since I see each corner (and not the physical square) as a space. So, to me, you do need to move 2 spaces down to get to the corner that is 2 corners further.
Hope this helps or that someone agrees with me! ;)

jren
01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
The shapes are on the points (intersections), not in the squares. That's how I saw it. But question 2 is wrong. It's 3 spaces right and 1 space up.

Melaine
It does make sense if you stay on the lines of the grid rather than in the empty spaces. Except that #2 is backwards: It should be go 3 spaces right and 1 space up.

o_mom
I think they are meaning that if you go from one point/intersection to the next, that is moving one space. So, #1, you are starting at the intersection of the first horizontal and vertical lines. You move one whole space right, that puts you at the intersection of the first horizontal line and second vertical line. If you then move down two spaces, you will be at the intersection of the the third horizontal line and the second vertical line. That is where the pink rectangle is.

I agree it's not intuitive, especially for first graders, but it's not way out there.

#2 is answered wrong, though... should be 3 right and 1 up.

3isEnough
01-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry, but yes it does make sense to me. #2 is wrong though, the numbers have to be swapped.

As for the pink rectangle (and all the shapes for that matter), they aren't in squares, they are at the intersection of the squares. Does that help make it clearer?

Math, I get. Social studies and history? We are going to be in big trouble here;)

ETA: guess I was too slow to type on my iPad since several answered at the same time! At least we all seem to agree!

artvandalay
01-09-2012, 08:31 PM
OK, but then what about #2? That really doesn't make sense.

KrisM
01-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I agree. It's a grid and all the objects are at intersections. Follow the intersections. #2 is wrong.

LMPC
01-09-2012, 08:32 PM
The answer to #2 seems wrong to me. The others I get, and are the ways I would have answered. Each corner of a square is a unit...like you'd do on a regular graph. Why oh why do they try and make things so complicated :shrug:

elektra
01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
It makes sense to me since I see each corner (and not the physical square) as a space. So, to me, you do need to move 2 spaces down to get to the corner that is 2 corners further.
Hope this helps or that someone agrees with me! ;)

:yeahthat:
you go across one full space to the corner.

elektra
01-09-2012, 08:34 PM
OK, but then what about #2? That really doesn't make sense.

#2 is wrong.

ETA: Lots of cross posting. :)

kristenk
01-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm guessing the answer to #2 got transposed. You should go 3 spaces to the right and 1 space up instead of the other way around.

artvandalay
01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
AH, ok... So the answers to #2 are in the wrong spot. I kept trying to figure it out and he claimed they were all done in class together, so I knew they had to be right. I guess he just wrote them in the wrong spots.

Also I see now, it's really the "corners" and not actual squares. UGH.

I HATE MATH. Seriously. :6:

Thanks!

almostamom
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Yes, instead of counting "spaces" you are counting "intersections". FWIW, my DS had this same homework a few weeks ago and it took me a few minutes to figure out what it was asking. :)

Linda

sariana
01-09-2012, 09:02 PM
AH, ok... So the answers to #2 are in the wrong spot. I kept trying to figure it out and he claimed they were all done in class together, so I knew they had to be right. I guess he just wrote them in the wrong spots.

Also I see now, it's really the "corners" and not actual squares. UGH.

I HATE MATH. Seriously. :6:

Thanks!

I wouldn't assume it was your DS who made the mistake...(unfortunately).

clc053103
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Ah, Envision.....just last week I had to call DS 's first grade teacher to ask her to explain a problem, and I know I am not alone. Since the nice folks around here have confirmed the correct answer, I am now studying your post for future use!

Your DS appears to be ahead of our class, possibly way ahead which concerns me....what topic number is this? I believe DS just started topic 9.

mom3boys
01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
FWIW, I got tripped up on my son's kindergarten homework the other week.

I have a PhD.

KpbS
01-09-2012, 10:30 PM
The shapes are on the points (intersections), not in the squares. That's how I saw it. But question 2 is wrong. It's 3 spaces right and 1 space up.

:yeahthat:

ETA Oops! I see that you've got it worked out :) Remember that Goat homework from a few months ago Big G little g from Clarity's daughter? That was a doozy!

lilycat88
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Is this EnVision? Like others have said, it's counting the intersetions. Do you have online access to the lessons?

lilycat88
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Ah, Envision.....just last week I had to call DS 's first grade teacher to ask her to explain a problem, and I know I am not alone. Since the nice folks around here have confirmed the correct answer, I am now studying your post for future use!

Your DS appears to be ahead of our class, possibly way ahead which concerns me....what topic number is this? I believe DS just started topic 9.

Online access to the lessons helps!

ilfaith
01-10-2012, 12:19 AM
On the bright side, there were no slaves picking oranges in this assignment.

clc053103
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Online access to the lessons helps!

Yes! It is huge, sometimes the answer is atually in the lesson. It's not the math that is throwing us, it is their terminology and overly wordy problems. I don't know if a lot of parents know the lessons are on line, I only knew because I asked.

But yes, i agree, at least envision is never politically offensive!

Clarity
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I think he transposed the answers to number 2 but other than that I think it's actually ok. The shapes are in the center of the intersect.