PDA

View Full Version : Moms with more than One: Are We Really Reading 30 Minutes Per Night Per Kid?

sste
01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
I am hoarse! I am not joking I have not had my normal voice for two weeks.

It started with The Read Aloud Handbook and that book's strong endorsement of reading 30 minutes per might PER kid.

Well, when it was DS alone no problem to do 30 minutes and of course his caregivers read to him and he was pretty much buried in read aloud. And I will say it worked wonders. Then DD came along and it got quite hard, esp because DH and I WOH and don't get home to 6ish. I have been trying to read a little to DD in the morning to break it up. But I am just not managing the 30 minutes per kid. Some nights yes, but many no either because I run out of time or I can no longer talk or both. And DD gets the short end of the stick since she is harder to read aloud to - - at sixteen months I need to break her 30 minutes into 5 or 6 reading periods of 6-7 minutes. And again I work outside the house all day!!

How long to you read aloud per kid? Am I the only one reduced to a stage whisper by this regime? Thoughts?

ast96
01-10-2012, 01:53 AM
My oldest is nine, and I don't read aloud to him anymore. He prefers to read himself, and he races through 2-3 books at a time, so he's fine.

My middle child is seven and really needs to be read to for his bedtime routine, even though he can read alone very well. We generally read Harry Potter to him and let him read books that are a little easier alone. Tonight I read him a few chapters of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to get him started, then he read alone to go to sleep. The chapters are short, so I am sure it was less than 30 minutes.

My four year old gets two stories at bedtime. They usually take 15-20 minutes.

I'm not a big "rules" mom. I do what feels right, and this is what is working for us.

shishamo
01-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I also tried 30 minutes per child after reading the Read-Aloud handbook few years ago (great book, btw).
I quickly discovered that 1.5 hours/every night is not going to work for us!

Some friends I know read to multiple kids together. Unfortunately, my kids differ so greatly in their taste/vocabulary that it is impossible to find something that works for everyone (and I tried and tried- some kids leave me, some starts reading ).

Right now, honestly, I only read to my 7 year old for 15 minutes or so at night(hanging my head in shame). My husband reads to 9 year old 3-4 times/week, probably for 15-20 minutes. I have not read to my 12 year old in years.

elektra
01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
The three of us all get in DD's bed and we read together. So we are more like 20-30 min total at night, and not per kid. I do try to read more on the weekends.

baileygirl
01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
I would guess I spend 20-60 minutes reading to DS1 (5) most nights. DH mainly reads to DS2 (2) and probably is closer to 20 mintues most nights. When DH travels I tend to read to the boys together during dinner and then to each alone for a shorter time. I do feel that I have kind of dropped the ball in reading to DS2.

TwinFoxes
01-10-2012, 04:32 AM
I am not familiar with the book. Do you really mean at night? I do read an hour total per day, but I SAH. We read morning, nap time, and night, plus random times. But if you mean 30 minutes in a row one on one, then no. I like reading aloud though, I have a knack for it. :)

MichelleRC
01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
My kids like for me to read to them while they are in the bath. Warm soapy water, they are relaxed--it is great. I am reading the first 39 Clues book with DS2 and last night he wound up a little prune-y because he wanted me to keep going. Some nights we read for 30 minutes, some for 10, whatever, it is all good.

brittone2
01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
DD gets read to before bed for 20-30 mins. DS1 mostly reads to himself but we will read to him if he lets us know a bit before bedtime (so we can plan on how we're juggling the other kids between the two of us). DS2 gets read to by DS1 and DD during the day (they each take turns while I'm doing something with the other kiddo) and by me. His attention span for a book isn't that long yet but he gets read to a few times a day for short periods.

We HS, so we do a lot of read alouds. I often read something to them during breakfast, lunch, or we sometimes have tea and read together in the afternoon.

At one time it was tough to have the endurance to read that much aloud but I'm getting there!

arivecchi
01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
We read for 15 minutes tops. Otherwise, I'd barely have any time to interact with my kids after getting home from work!

fivi2
01-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, I read to my girls together, but it is rarely 30 minutes at one sitting. We may do one book (or chapter) after school, one book some other time during the day, and then some reading at bedtime.

And at 16 months, we were lucky to make it through two pages of a board book before dds started chewing on it. imo it is more important to make it enjoyable (and if that means giving up because they are chewing on the book, so be it!) than to force a toddler to sit and listen to a book. I would think that could lead to negative associations with reading. But I am not an expert!

maestramommy
01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
:hysterical:

Yeah, when it was just Dora I was reading to her for what felt like most of the day. Because she wasn't into toys, but wanted to be read to all.the.time.

Now we read to the kids every night, but it's about 10-15 total. For Dora and Arwyn that means the time is divided between them. Basically each kid gets 2-3 books, so however long that takes. Sometimes we (I) read to them during the day, sometimes I don't. But they are starting to "read" to themselves, are exposed to reading at school, esp. Dora.

Personally I think these guidelines, like a lot of others, assume the child is getting nothing outside of said guidelines.

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
We read about 30 minutes. But, not necessarily in one chunk with ds2. We read about 15 minutes at bedtime but he gets read to at preschool and another story here and there throughout the day. I read to ds1 about 20-30 minutes/ night.

jren
01-10-2012, 08:53 AM
My oldest (8) reads to us and her little brother. She would stay up hours reading to him if we let her. So I don't worry about it anymore. I read to DS (3) throughout the day. And sometimes will sit with my DD and we'll read together. DH also reads to them.

kijip
01-10-2012, 09:21 AM
The only aloud reading for T is when he sits in on his little brother's stories. Sometimes I make him read to me for school. But he is over wanting a bedtime story, which is sad. He does also read to his little brother which is nice.

We read more than an hour a day to F. We read more than an hour a day to T at that age. We are a bookish family. I don't get hoarse but we do trade off.

luckytwenty
01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
It used to be the kind of thing where we needed to set a timer for my oldest to read, but now he loves to read and the way he whips through books, I have no worries about the time minimum. My middle child is 6 and we definitely do the 20 minutes a day (that's what her teacher asked for) by having her read a short book and reading to her. We have an after school babysitter who enforces that one.

The baby...well, I'm kind of screwing that up. I read to my older two more than I do with him. I don't think you need to read to a baby for a half hour a day, though. He's pretty squirmy!

Melaine
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I am not familiar with the book. Do you really mean at night? I do read an hour total per day, but I SAH. We read morning, nap time, and night, plus random times. But if you mean 30 minutes in a row one on one, then no. I like reading aloud though, I have a knack for it. :)

:yeahthat: Since the girls were babies and super high maintenance, we have clung to a VERY simple bedtime routine. We get in, get on with it, get it over with, and get out! One short book, prayers, I love yous, and goodnight. Since I have been pregnant and so tired, the girls and I have been in the habit of getting into my bed after dinner and often reading for a half hour or so though. Now that they are getting into chapter books it easier. Plus they are on the same level which is nice.

But I think if you work out of the home this would be a hard goal to hit!

overcome
01-10-2012, 09:36 AM
First, that is a phenomenal book. Highly recommend it.

I have only one child, so I'm lucky we have the luxury of lots of read aloud time.

A suggestion for you is audio books. Dd adores them. There are free podcasts (The Story Home, Barefoot Books) and a great app, Tales to Go ( not free). Dd listens in the car, while I'm making dinner, when she gets up on weekends, so I can sleep!!

Don't remember exactly was Jim Trelease says about Audio books vs reading aloud, but I think they are wonderful. Often I'm listening too, so we can still talk about the story.

g-mama
01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Umm.....please. We live in reality over here! No way, no how. :bag

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I thought the rule was 20 minutes. We read together some nights. Some nights dh or I read with ds1 and the other person reads to the twins. This is one of the very few examples where I say, "nobody read to me for thirty minutes every night."

daisymommy
01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Once they can read on their own, no, I don't. They listen to me read one bedtime story as family, and the rest of the time is done on their own.

Before they can read independently...well, when it was 1-2 kids, it was about 30 minutes max, but now it's more like 15-20 minutes. I'd say I read 3 children's picture books to DD and DS2 each day. So however long that takes. But it is no way done all at once. It's a book here and there, spread throughout the day. And that is perfectly fine in my opinion.

sste
01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone!

Per Jim Trelease, it does not have to be at night but 30 minutes per child is in his opinion optimal. He is not a big fan of reading to multiple kids at once because they are at different levels and because the 1:1 parent time is in his opinion a big part of what makes read aloud time special. He is also a big proponent of continuing to read aloud long past when the child can read on his or her own. Again the special time and also the reading per his method (I agree his book is great btw) is supposed to include lots of questions, springboard for discussion and sharing, etc.

This all sounds fine in theory but I am finding it hard to squeeze in and as I mentioned my poor voice! It has been much easier during the times when I have been at home or worked from home.

Both kids love books - - DS has an incredible attention span and would easily spend 40-60 minutes being read aloud to, esp now that we started short novels and he wants to get to the end. DD is always toddling over to our book bins and asking "Book? Book?" and bringing one over for me to read. *I* am the problem. I need voice training.

ETA: What kills me is that in our experience as I mentioned reading aloud did an incredible amount for DS who is a very clever little guy. He had an enormous speech delay and I really credit read aloud for the fact that when his expressive language exploded he wound up months and in fact years ahead of his age. I really want things to be equal between the kids and it doesn't seem fair to DD.

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
This is why I don't read parenting books. Yes, it is great to read 1 on 1 but you can also give 1 on 1 time in different, just as good ways. Cuddling up with a story is great for some kids but other kids are just as happy bonding in different ways. Too many right ways of doing things. :)

You talk to your dd and expose her to a great vocabulary and creativity every day when you interact with her directly or her big brother in front of her.

I say take bits from books but remember that they are just one person's idea. There are lots of ways to raise creative, thoughtful kids with good vocabularies that feel close to you. Do what works for you. If the kids think you are stressed (losing your voice, straining to push through may qualify), it may not be as special as simply sitting on the couch and chatting.

Twoboos
01-10-2012, 10:46 AM
We read to both of them at the same time. Between reading aloud, their reading, spelling homework, other homework and activities, and their desire to just play, there are NOT enough hours in the day!

kijip
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree with the theory of reading aloud with kids who can read on their own anyways but in practice, sometime before age 8 T just did not want to do read alouds. We do some for school but for fun, he wants to read alone and I respect that.

We do read a lot but T got more than F does because reading was all T was interested in for a long while. Between us and both of my parents T was reading books with us aloud for a significant chunk of the day. We don't watch tv here a ton and nothing between dinner prep and kid bedtime + the kids have later bedtimes about 9pm so reading is a main way to fill that time.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Even if I didn't work part time, there is no way I could read to each child alone 30 minutes per day. What would the other children do while reading with one? Watch tv?

A young elementary child gets home around 3/3:15 from school and goes to bed at 7:30. During that time he and most other kids need to have a snack and dinner and some downtime/playtime as well. I guess families with one or two children will be more successful than mine . . .

kijip
01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
A young elementary child gets home around 3/3:15 from school and goes to bed at 7:30. During that time he and most other kids need to have a snack and dinner and some downtime/playtime as well.

Most kids I know are in bed in the 8:30-9:30 range so that may be a difference.

g-mama
01-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Even if I didn't work part time, there is no way I could read to each child alone 30 minutes per day. What would the other children do while reading with one? Watch tv?

A young elementary child gets home around 3/3:15 from school and goes to bed at 7:30. During that time he and most other kids need to have a snack and dinner and some downtime/playtime as well. I guess families with one or two children will be more successful than mine . . .

:yeahthat:

Except mine get home at 4:10 and go to bed at 9. We are FAR less scheduled than many families we know and yet, with three kids, there's something most nights. CCD classes, soccer practices, piano lessons and daily practicing, and homework - which requires much more of my involvement than I wish it did.

I am with my kids alone til approx. 8pm each evening, too.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Most kids I know are in bed in the 8:30-9:30 range so that may be a difference.

That's a funny regional difference. We live in the land of Weissbluth, so almost everyone I know follows his early bedtime rule. First and second graders in ds1's class tend to go to bed at 8, but not much later. Even at age ten, Obama's daughters had a bedtime of 8 pm.

carolinamama
01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I read to the boys together for probably 30 minutes most nights. Sometimes less. We read in the bonus room on the couch and admittedly, I've been working with DS1 on his reading lately since that's what he really wants. That means sometimes DS2 will get up and wander around the room a bit. Not ideal, but it is the best I can do and still get them in bed on time. DH works long hours so I'm often on my own at bedtime. Up until the last month or so, it was harder to even get that in because DD wasn't going to bed so easily by 7 and was fussy. I'd be nursing and reading at the same time! I know or sitter reads to DS2 regularly while DS1 is in school so I don't feel too badly. We do the best we can.

arivecchi
01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I think reading for 30 minutes to each child sounds great in theory, but it is just not reality IMO if you have more than one kid or work FT. Furthermore, some kids will not stay still and read that long. I know DS2 would not. He is very active and I suspect will not be the bookish type. DS1 does love to read books but we do not have a lot of time between my arrival and his bedtime. We actually skip reading books on many nights if we are running late. I would not torture myself over this OP! I think it's nice to encourage reading but I would not be so rigid about it. As PP said, kids have many ways of picking up on new vocabulary. In fact, with DS1, it seems to make more of an impact when I use a new word in regular speech. He will always stop me and ask. Not so if we are reading a book. I am actually more worried about encouraging physical activity given where we live and our sedentary lifestyles!

MommyofAmaya
01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
A young elementary child gets home around 3/3:15 from school and goes to bed at 7:30. During that time he and most other kids need to have a snack and dinner and some downtime/playtime as well.

:yeahthat:

DD gets home at 4pm and lights are out at 7:30. Both kids get up at 6:15 to get DD to school at 7:45. We have a commute both directions. Depending on the night, I read for 15 minutes or DD reads to herself. DH still reads to DS for 20 -25 minutes until he falls asleep.

swissair81
01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
My oldest daughter has taken over my reading time. She loves to read books to her siblings. She is a huge bookworm. She would read at the dinner table, instead of homework, and while walking on the sidewalk if I let her. I try and read chapter books that are above her reading level to her, but we are a little off our feed lately.

carolinamama
01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
This is why I don't read parenting books. Yes, it is great to read 1 on 1 but you can also give 1 on 1 time in different, just as good ways. Cuddling up with a story is great for some kids but other kids are just as happy bonding in different ways. Too many right ways of doing things. :)

You talk to your dd and expose her to a great vocabulary and creativity every day when you interact with her directly or her big brother in front of her.

I say take bits from books but remember that they are just one person's idea. There are lots of ways to raise creative, thoughtful kids with good vocabularies that feel close to you. Do what works for you. If the kids think you are stressed (losing your voice, straining to push through may qualify), it may not be as special as simply sitting on the couch and chatting.

I am quoting this because I think it is such a good point. If we did everything that the parenting books all say, we would need a 50 hour day to fit it all in. If I had just one kid, I probably could do more 1 on 1 reading but I have 3. I have to believe that the interaction between the kids has to help fill that space and have some benefit since we can't give each one the time we could with just one kid.

ast96
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I am quoting this because I think it is such a good point. If we did everything that the parenting books all say, we would need a 50 hour day to fit it all in. If I had just one kid, I probably could do more 1 on 1 reading but I have 3. I have to believe that the interaction between the kids has to help fill that space and have some benefit since we can't give each one the time we could with just one kid.

Exactly, and I agreed with the quote she quoted too. I stopped reading parenting books years ago. There are many ways to be a good parent, and I am tired of all the "shoulds" that are thrown at us today. Kids and families are different. Obviously, OP, reading aloud did great things for your son, and I do read aloud to my younger kids, but I happen to believe there is no magic "time allotment" for it and I also believe that I can bond with my nine year old in other ways than reading aloud to him.

Frankly, the older kids and I bond over watching "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" together at night. It's TV, but it's material I like talking about with my kids. They dig it.

ABO Mama
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I read to all 3 boys together (8,8,5). There is no way I could read to each one seperatly, and still make dinner, laundry, etc.

AnnieW625
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
We don't do more than 10-15 minutes because it delays bedtime. Now in a couple of years this might change, but 10-15 is fine with me.

michlyn
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
My DD reads on her own, or sometimes she reads to my boys which helps. I need her to do that more often! We do read to our boys at the same time but it is definitely not for 30 minutes a day. Quite a bit less!

buddyleebaby
01-10-2012, 12:59 PM
This is our *latest* routine, established for the winter months. In the summer, we probably spend less time reading because we are out and about later, and because they like to stay up and read to themselves.

I read each of my kids one (picture) book of their choice. They all sit in the bed and listen to all the stories, and whoever chose the story I am currently reading gets to sit on my lap.

Then I tuck DS into his bed (in the same room- this is new but seems to be working) and read a chapter from our current chapter book to the girls. DS starts out listening but quickly falls asleep.

When DH is home, he does the chapter book read.

I do see the value in one on one reading, and it happens at my house at naturally occuring moments, but it does not happen at bedtime. I have three little ones I need to get in bed, and I am usually doing it alone. Reading to each one by themselves for half an hour would mean leaving the other two alone waiting for half an hour to a whole hour. I think it is much more comfy and relaxing the way we do it.

hellokitty
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
DS1 got read to the most as a baby, but that was b/c he LOVED (and still does) books. Now he is 7 and a very advanced reader. He doesn't want me to read to him that often anymore. DS2 is 6 and barely reading. He loves to be read to, and I try to read to him every day, but I don't really pay attn to the amt of time he is read to. DS3 is squirmy. I offer to read to him, and he will get me a book, but most times after a couple of pages, he has lost interest. DS2 was like this too, so I'm not too worried about it. When they are about 4, they are much better able to sit still. I don't force him to sit still to be read to, b/c frankly, I am exhausted all of the time and I don't feel like fighting him over something like this.

maestramommy
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

Per Jim Trelease, it does not have to be at night but 30 minutes per child is in his opinion optimal. He is not a big fan of reading to multiple kids at once because they are at different levels and because the 1:1 parent time is in his opinion a big part of what makes read aloud time special. He is also a big proponent of continuing to read aloud long past when the child can read on his or her own. Again the special time and also the reading per his method (I agree his book is great btw) is supposed to include lots of questions, springboard for discussion and sharing, etc.

Just wondering, does Jim Trelease actually have a kid, or more than one kid? This is all great in theory, but when is it supposed to happen? I SAH, and I suppose I could fork in 90 minutes a day of reading time to my kids in theory, but logistically speaking it would be very difficult. What about parents who WOH? I just don't know when that's supposed to happen, even if the kids don't have a single extra-curricular.

this kinds of reminds me of an essay that someone posted on FB a few months back from a crunchyish blog about spending time with your kids. One of the statements was something like, "some families talk of spending 10 minutes of one-on-one time with their kid per day and family time twice a month. THAT IS NOT OKAY!" I read that and I was like, "how many kids do you have?" I mean, my family gets more than that, but like I said, I SAH. In addition Dh has very regular hours, doesn't travel for work, and RARELY has to work weekends. Even then we had to map out "special time" in order for every kid to have 45 minutes of one-on-time a week with a single parent. Sometimes I think these essays and recommendations don't serve much purpose beyond making most parents feel worse than they already do.

ETA: Here's the essay I was thinking of. http://magicalchildhood.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/what-should-a-4-year-old-know/ Scroll down to #4 of "What parents need to know"
the main point of the essay was actually very good. But maybe it was the day I read it or the frame of mind I was in. For some reason instead of nodding my head I got very cranky.

sste
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Maestramommy, I wondered how many kids he has too. He discloses that he had two kids - - and I am sure he could not have had more because I agree with you there is no hope for this system when you are talking 90 minutes per day with one adult at home. You would need a nanny and a sahp or two sahp!!

What he did was greatly limit his kids TV time and I must say I wondered how much of this read-aloud his wife was doing (!!) while he canvassed the country on speaking engagements.

maestramommy
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
What he did was greatly limit his kids TV time and I must say I wondered how much of this read-aloud his wife was doing (!!) while he canvassed the country on speaking engagements.

:hysterical: nuff said.I wish my kids watched less TV, but while they are watching I am frantically getting something done (usually cooking dinner). So I guess I could read to them instead of TV, then order out.

american_mama
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Heck, no. I think I stopped reading aloud to the older two by the time child #2 was an older toddler; at the very least, it sloughed off once she was 3.5 and I had a newborn to nurse.

I know a mom of 5 who once alluded to the fact that they read aloud books that multiple ages can enjoy, so that's a strategy. I read the first Percy Jackson book to DD1, age 8 at the time, and was a little concerned when DD2, age 6, sat in on it. I thought the book was age-inappropriate for her and/or she'd be bored. The content was fine for her and she loved it, so that ended up a big success. DS, age 2 at the time, often liked to be in the same room playing or just cuddling with me, so that kind of counts.

essnce629
01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Umm.....please. We live in reality over here! No way, no how. :bag

Ha, ha so funny! I only read one book to DS2 before bed and it probably takes about 10 minutes. I also try and keep the bedtime routine simple, but it still drags out to about 40 minutes or more till DS2 is actually asleep (and I have to be in the room with him till he's asleep) I don't think I could read for 30 minutes straight! We do read randomly throughout the day though usually.

DS1 is 8 1/2 and I actually can't remember the last time I read aloud to him. He's a very advanced reader and just devours books. He reads every night while I'm putting DS2 to bed.

maestramommy
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
One thing I'm sure we are all well aware of, but I can't help pointing out is how short these kids books are. A typical Boynton book? over in 30 seconds. Little Critter? Okay, 2-3 minutes. Do we know HOW MANY books it would take to fill 30 minutes??

FWIW, I got this list of recommended things to do with Dora the summer before K. Included were not just reading a book, but discussing it, asking open-ended W questions (like why?). I thought great! I'll try that. Then I realized it wasn't going to work because half our time reading is spent with the KIDS asking those questions! :p

ett
01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
DS1 is 8 and mostly reads to himself. I try to read to him before bedtime, but honestly, on many days we just don't get to it.

DS2 is 4 and we read 2-3 books before bedtime. On some days, we read a couple of books in the day time, other days we don't. He's in preschool 4 mornings a week, so he gets read to there too. We did read more when he was younger and not in school.

Honestly, I would read to your kids as much as you can, and not worry about the 30 minutes. 30 minutes of reading is a lot of books for an 18 month old. That could be 20-30 board books. You want reading to be enjoyable for them and by enforcing a "reading" rule, you run the risk of taking the joy out of reading.

*myfoursons
01-10-2012, 06:46 PM
:rotflmao:

Seriously.

:rotflmao:

kijip
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't think you need to read to your kids a set amount each day. And I totally think family story time has its place and is not to be shunned in favor of only one on one reading.

However, I honestly have never found it hard to read to the kids and it easily adds up. We are busy (though less so now that I am home) but it is just what we do. Please note that I am not saying it is not hard for others because it is not for me and our situation. We all have different lives and schedules and patterns. I am only speaking to what works for us. I just don't think that it is patently ridiculous or some sort of fantasy land that some (many) parents and caregivers do. We are not talking about 4 hours. We are talking about one episode of a sitcom. A couple of books in the AM, a few at night and you are there. The typical American family is not watching TV only when dinner is being cooked- it is something like 2-3 hours a day average.

Also, I think that schools stress this to a lot of families who do totally have the option (not working FT) to but do not. ANd families were education and reading are a path out of generational poverty. My older brother never used to read to his kids. Then their parenting instructor asked them to and the older daughter was assigned it for school. Now they read to them daily and my SIL has become a reader herself. This is the same family that 7 years ago literally had no printed reading materials other than the books I sent the kids. Serious turnaround there.

ZeeBaby
01-10-2012, 08:35 PM
We read to the girls together. They are 2 and 3 while the 3 year old is interested in more advanced books, the 2 year old sits for family story time. I appreciate the point to be made about reading to them separately, but they share a room are constantly together and would not tolerate one being read to while the other is being excluded. They also get read to at preschool and daycare.

mjs64
01-11-2012, 04:12 AM
Wait... When is this supposed to start? I read to 11 mo DS every day but consider it a success if we get through a few board books throughout the day. Adding it up, I don't think we get to 30 min. And I only have one. I'm a big reader, darn it, but DS mostly wants to crawl, cruise, and mouth.

boolady
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't think you need to read to your kids a set amount each day. And I totally think family story time has its place and is not to be shunned in favor of only one on one reading.

:yeahthat: DD gets her reading in dribs and drabs, and it's not all one-on-one, but I don't think that's dispositive of anything. They read at least two longer picture books at school every morning, and will read more in the afternoon if the weather's bad and they can't go out. DH or I read to DD for about 15-20 minutes before bed, but she's tired, and I'm not keeping her up just to read to her.

DD watches very little TV...she's at school all day with no access, but with access to books to peruse and books that are read to the class and small groups. She loves to read, looks forward to reading, and spends a lot of time creating stories and pictures to go along with them and engaging in imaginative play. All of this is far more important to me than the exact number of minutes we read each day.

This morning, she absolutely "needed" me to read her the last two chapters of her Weather Fairies book because she couldn't go to school without finding out what happened. I was glad to be five minutes late and indulge her love of books...when she does things like that, I don't worry about anything else.

ett
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Wait... When is this supposed to start? I read to 11 mo DS every day but consider it a success if we get through a few board books throughout the day. Adding it up, I don't think we get to 30 min. And I only have one. I'm a big reader, darn it, but DS mostly wants to crawl, cruise, and mouth.

You're doing just fine. :)

sste
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Mjs it is very hard when they are first mobile. I did three five or so minute sessions at that age with dd and then also I read to her when she ate in her highchair sometimes. The high chair works well actually. My ds was a very late walker with what I now see was an unusual attention span for a baby. So that made it easier! I will say even with mobile dd I was able to build her attention span over time but the key was not to push it and to keep it fun.

stefani
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
I am a mom to one, but I don't think we have read for 30 minutes in all of his 8 years of life unless it is in airplanes :-) He does read himself now for that amount of time or longer, but bedtime there is only about 10 to 15 minutes for reading.

cono0507
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I spend about 30 minutes with the kids at bedtime - both kids and I sit together and I read for a while. Both also read after that in bed after they are tucked in - well, the 6yo reads and the 4yo looks at her books. Until they were 3-4 yrs told, it was usually just one book/night and not anywhere close to 30 min, though we did read throughout the day. They are more interested now and can sit and listen to longer stories now. Wouldn't have been quite so feasible a few years for us.

ETA - my 1000th post! :)