PDA

View Full Version : Athleta makes me feel

TwoBees
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
seriously inadequate! The catalog came last night and those women are in incredible shape. I'll never be that athletic. Sheesh. I think I'll go back to looking at the ridiculously thin models in other magazines because at least I know that is not healthy so I don't feel as inadequate.

boogiemomz
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
LOL, I know what you mean. I page through that catalog and I find myself thinking--I'll take her calves, her shoulders, her upper arm strength, her flexibility... :rotflmao:

luckytwenty
01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
See, I find their models inspiring while I find the super-skinny air-brushed models depressing! Kind of how I feel looking at pics of the athletes in Runner's World v. supermodels in Vogue!

TwoBees
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
See, I find their models inspiring while I find the super-skinny air-brushed models depressing! Kind of how I feel looking at pics of the athletes in Runner's World v. supermodels in Vogue!

I find the super-skinny airbrushed models depressing too...which is why they don't make me feel inadequate! I have no desire to look like that.

willow33
01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
The athleta models are definitely my fitness inspiration!

khalloc
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
The models are inspiring I guess. But they make clothes for 1 body type - athletic. What about those of us that have more than a B cup? All of their models could go without a bra if they wanted to. I guess I am just not into shirts where the bra is built-in.

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
The models are inspiring I guess. But they make clothes for 1 body type - athletic. What about those of us that have more than a B cup? All of their models could go without a bra if they wanted to. I guess I am just not into shirts where the bra is built-in.

Are athletic girls flat chested? I'm not athletic. I have the same Athleta problem with the built in bras. They work for the As but what about everyone else? It isn't a flattering look for me.

marie
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM

:yeahthat:

And even their built-in underwire bra tops only go up to DD.

The models can inspire all they want but if they don't offer clothes for non-athletic body types, what are we supposed to wear to get there?!

Plus, I just bought a pair of winter-weight pants from them and needed to size UP. talk about making me feel worse. . .

marie
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Are athletic girls flat chested? I'm not athletic. I have the same Athleta problem with the built in bras. They work for the As but what about everyone else? It isn't a flattering look for me.

Of course not all athletic women are flat chested, but if you look through Athleta or Title Nine all of the models are flat-to-small (except of course, the models wearing the "banish the bounce"-type bras marketed toward larger-chested women).

luckytwenty
01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I see them as models--the tall, skinny type--who are athletic. I know athletes come in all shapes and sizes but also know mainstream models are all 5'8+ and 120-. Defined calves and quads on a tall, skinny girl still inspire me and don't make me feel bad about myself.

Twoboos
01-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Omg, I was thinking the same thing whethis catalog came the other day!

It would be great if they showed some women slogging through a boot camp, yoga or spin class, lol.

momof2girls
01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
I feel that way too. Plus...when I see any catalog with a bathing suit section, passing the Victorias Secret windows in the mall, try on skinny jeans, see a pic of myself next to my friend who is a fitness fanatic, coach my DDs team with the help of a bunch of skinny college girls. It just never ends being a woman!

infomama
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Athleta models are amazing. Fit, strong and beautiful.

KpbS
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Of course not all athletic women are flat chested, but if you look through Athleta or Title Nine all of the models are flat-to-small (except of course, the models wearing the "banish the bounce"-type bras marketed toward larger-chested women).

I find this annoying too. I don't mind that they are super-fit and muscular--that's great--I just can't wear a lot of what they sell b/c I am not an A cup gal. I tossed the catalog when it came the other day. I am too busy chasing toddlers and not the next wave to surf. Not my season in life right now! :tongue5:

infomama
01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't think most of the Athleta models are flat chested at all. Many look like me and I'm a c.

legaleagle
01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Interesting. I'm big busted and not at all athletic but their bottoms tend to fit me perfectly and be very flattering, esp post-partum. I've had good luck with some of the dresses too, though obviously not the built in bra ones. I guess I just kind of skim over the actual models themselves!

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think most of the Athleta models are flat chested at all. Many look like me and I'm a c.

C's a stretch but I'll give you B. :)

I didn't really mean athletic= flat chested...I know better. But, I also know that my small Cs and the summer dresses with shelf bras= floppy. :)

Those are the only Athleta things I own though. Worn with additional support they are ok.

I am inspired by their models though.

AnnieW625
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah and when I went to the store and tried stuff on everything jiggled, and except for my leftover mommy tummy and a much larger (but still firm butt--DH seemed to think so;)) I am still in decent shape and the clothes were not forgiving at all.

I am a 38A/B and yeah shelf bras are not my friend. Hate them with a passion.

Globetrotter
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I finally went to the store this weekend and the sweaters were SO skinny, complete opposite of vanity sizing. I'm not THAT big but I would have needed to squeeze into an XL!

sste
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
It makes me feel mad that GAP bought the brand!!

Pre-Gap the clothes were better quality AND imo the advertising/models were more diverse and "real woman" in their body type. In fact, I think they were real women, some of them were the athleta workers. Back in the day . . .

hellokitty
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I like their clothes and I find their models much healthier looking than fashion magazines. HOWEVER, I'm a DD. I *DO* workout regularly too, so it's not like I would just buy their clothes to look stylish. From the reviews I read on their website (I have been tempted to order many times, but always talk myself out of it at the last minute), it seems that if you are bigger than a B cup, forget it. Their tops will not provide adequate support and/or be flattering. My problem too is that even though I work out, I still have a belly pooch and for most of the outfits, ppl will point out that if you have a bit of a belly, it will not look nice. I feel like athleta is geared toward single or career women, more than sahms. It would be nice if they expanded their selection by providing something that larger breasted women could wear (and my problem in general is that I wear size M bottoms, but have to get L or XL tops, in athleta size, that would probably mean XXL, so my body is not proportioned the way their models are in their catalog), and also things that aren't so skin tight would be nice.

The only good thing about this is that it means I don't drop a ton of $ at athleta. Luckily, I've discovered that kohls workout clothes (I like the tek gear and fila) is great, it fits well, washes well, is stylish and best of all, affordable. So, every time I get an itch to see if athleta has something that *might* fit me, I realize that I should just go to kohls.

elektra
01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I must be brainwashed by other fashion mags because I personally do not like the look of some of those models. For instance I get a little disgusted when I see Kelly Ripa in a bathing suit. I just do not find that muscly look attractive.

AnnieW625
01-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I must be brainwashed by other fashion mags because I personally do not like the look of some of those models. For instance I get a little disgusted when I see Kelly Ripa in a bathing suit. I just do not find that muscly look attractive.

I agree with you. Just like super skinny super models with little definition I don't find the Athleta, Title 9 models (although they did highlight some of their employees in their current catalog) to be very close to what I find appealing or aspire to look like. I am not into the whole yuppie granola DINK income outdoorsy vibe though so maybe that is part of it. I like to be outdoors and would love to hike every weekend, but even when I didn't have kids I never bought workout or hiking clothes that weren't on sale at REI or Big 5. Why spend $$$$$$ on stuff that can get trashed if you take a spill down a hill.

BabyH
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I know, right? I just keep looking at the very in shape booty of the cover model and feel totally inferior. Wonder if the $79 compression pants on page 7 would make me look more like her? :rotflmao:

Oh, wow. And the girl on page 17. Wow.

maestramommy
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
:p Ever look at Title IX catalog? Even worse, cause they tell you these ladies names, age, and what they do. I seriously wonder if they have a 48 hour day or something.

marie
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
:p Ever look at Title IX catalog? Even worse, cause they tell you these ladies names, age, and what they do. I seriously wonder if they have a 48 hour day or something.

like the mother of four who is a doctor, triathlete, and restored a 1968 VW beetle herself? :hysterical:

it's almost worse reading those descriptions. at least in Athleta I can pretend that they are *just* models whose job it is to look that good. ;)

babybell
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
seriously inadequate! The catalog came last night and those women are in incredible shape. I'll never be that athletic. Sheesh. I think I'll go back to looking at the ridiculously thin models in other magazines because at least I know that is not healthy so I don't feel as inadequate.

OMG. I was JUST thinking this the other day when I was on their website. I was seriously distracted by their chiseled abs and waists to even look at the clothes. :bag

DrSally
01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I find them inspirational, but totally kwym. I will *never* look that toned/fit. Might have something to do with the fact that I don't exercise.